Young Family of 4 looking for first Scamp 16 Trailer - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-26-2018, 04:50 PM   #1

Name: Sean
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Arizona
Young Family of 4 looking for first Scamp 16 Trailer

Hi Everyone,

We live in Phoenix and are looking for our first (fiberglass) trailer. We have narrowed it down to the Scamp 16 but are open for other similar models as well (Boler or Casita).

We are fine putting some money into an older one but must have the bench/bunk options for the kiddos. Also, we want a bathroom.

We hope to fix it up over the winter in preparation for a long road trip this summer once the kids are done with school.

Please advise and match as you can. We are tentatively planning on coming to the Quartzite gathering in Feb. as well.

Thanks in advance ,

Sean

Old 12-26-2018, 05:53 PM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
A lot more Scamps and Casitas out there than big Bolers. To get front bunk in a Casita you have to give up the bathroom. Casita does have the option on the Spirit to replace the side dinette with bunks.I would not count on finding one used with side bunk.

You should put more emphasis on floorplan. The various brands are not interchangeable. All of them have their unique quirks. We made that mistake ourselves and ended up with a Casita, which did not work for us. Fortunately, used FG trailers are desirable enough that mistakes don't cost that much.

Scamp layout 4 sounds like a winner for you. The good news is that Scamps are more plentiful than other brands on the used market, but still not common.

My 1977 Trillium is my first front bunk/sofa camper. I like that feature. But on big trips, I'm taking the Escape. One thing I really like about front sofa/bunk trailers are the windows. You end up with a big window on both ends, versus no window on the front at all. To me, the trailer looks bigger on the inside with front and rear windows. A small window in the bathroom really doesn't count as first its really small, and second, once you close the bathroom door, its just a solid wall at that point. With my old Trillium, I have a large window front and rear, a large window on both sides at the dinette, a window in the kitchen area and a window in the door. Thats pretty good in a 13 foot trailer (10 foot box).

Real rough, but just subtract 3 feet from the size of a trailer for the size of the box. Trailer lengths are measured from the front of the tongue, to the back of the rear bumper. Living space is MUCH less!

There is one in Alabama in the for sale section. ASSUME IT IS SOLD! But it has some very good pictures of what a 16 foot Scamp layout 4 looks like. Seller is not responding, which is typical on this forum. At that price and condition, it probably did not last longer than just a couple of days. But the pictures are useful!

Old 12-28-2018, 06:35 PM   #3

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
This poster is considering selling. Don't know if it is a fit.

Just Bought Casita 17 Standard in Las Vegas

Tags
scamp