Wanted: 1973 Trillium door hinges - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-16-2014, 09:45 AM   #1

Name: t
Trailer: trillium
British Columbia
1973 Trillium door hinges

The door is sagging pretty bad and someone already replaced the hinges with ones that dont work right. Does anyone have any tips for me on how to reinforce the door where the hinges go on and where to get new ones? The door randomly opens... thank you. I am a new and stoked fibreglass rv owner!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Fiberglass RV mobile app

Old 06-16-2014, 10:14 AM   #2

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Welcome T.
There are a lot of posts on how to fix a Trillium where the hinges attach. Some pictures might help us understand what your problem is.

The best bet for hinges is from Travel Trailer Parts, Outback Parts, RV Trailer Parts, Replacement Parts | Trillium Trailers or Parts | Trillium RV They are a commercial fridge hinge, expect to pay 2X as much from a restraunt supply.

Old 06-16-2014, 10:27 AM   #3

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
The hinges are available from Joe Thoen at Trillium / Outback in Calgary. Since you don't have the original hinges on your door, my fix for the door might not work for you. But I found that stuffing as much resin impregnated fibreglass mat in the screw holes, as possible, helps give the new screws something to hold onto. Lining up new hinges is something I have never done. I have just used the door itself to line them up. This may still be an option for you, if the original hinge holes are in the door. After the trailer side of the holes for the hinges are filled, and the hinges are installed on the door, tape the door in place, where it looks right, with the same gap all the way around. This took me three tries. Then use the hinges as a guide to drill the trailer side holes. The screws I put in the trailer side are 1.5" long. Then put more resin and glass in the holes, then put the screws in, (before the resin gels). After the resin hardens, (about two hours later) make sure the door opens smoothly. Then one by one, pull the screws out of the door side and put resin and glass in each of the door side holes and install the screws.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:29 AM   #4

Name: t
Trailer: trillium
British Columbia
Thanks for replying! Mostly I was looking for replacement hinges but I dont know how to use the old holes and not have the same problem happen.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
1402932460910.jpg   1402932472010.jpg  

1402932482338.jpg  
Old 06-16-2014, 10:46 AM   #5

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
The door side holes look to be in good shape. To check, I would take off the door. Install the new, original style hinges on the door. Then screw a 2 x 4 where the trailer side would attach. Use that to verify that the hinges opens and closes smoothly. Then install to the trailer as above.

Fill the holes from the current hinges with bondo.
Old 06-16-2014, 12:28 PM   #6

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Don't worry about the body lines matching up by the door handle, like you've shown in the picture. None of them do exactly, that was a mould issue. Carol H will pop in with some pictures or links.

If your original holes are not too bad, some have used Tech Steel putty or similar to fill then drill pilot holes.

Tags
trillium