Wanted: 3way Fridge (advice) - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-13-2012, 11:26 PM   #1

Name: Spencer
Trailer: 13' scamp
Minnesota
3way Fridge (advice)

Just today I saw someone post an ad for a 3-way fridge, but it is already gone...

I have a 1981 scamp, (13') and the fridge doesn't work, is there any one out there who knows about these? How about anyone who has a spare one,. It has the mini ice box inside it too.

Thanks

Old 04-14-2012, 07:19 AM   #2

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
It is possible that you can fix it. There are a number of DIY internet sites that provide trouble shooting for RV refrigerators. There is also at least one document in the document center on RV refrigerator service.

Fiberglass RV - Document Center - Refrigerators

If the refrigerant has leaked out (ammonia smell when it happens), it is probably not worth fixing.

I hunted down a used refrigerator on Craigslist and talk about the process here:

Tips for Buying a Used Gas Refrigerator

Old 04-14-2012, 10:02 PM   #3

Trailer: scamp
Registry
I took a 3-way out of my '91 13' Scamp a couple of years ago in favor of an ice box. We are up here in nw Montana, but its yours free if you can figure out a way to get it to Minn. Will check if it works tomorrow, I never ran it and the sellers said they never ran it either,,,,,may only be good for parts.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:54 PM   #4

Minnesota
R. Wade...
I would like that very much, I should ask for the measurements first to make sure it is going to work for my '81 13' Scamp.

Thanks again..

Spencer
Old 04-16-2012, 04:43 PM   #5

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Check at your local wreckers. I found a Dometic RM36E three way in an old camper van, (I also took the vents). This is exactly the model in my Trillium 4500. They charged me $25. I haven't tested it yet, but no reason to think it would not work.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:54 PM   #6

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Older Dometic (and other) lp refrigerators were very sensitive to clogging if run in an out of level condition. This damage was usually permanent if left for to long. For this reason I always 'Assume" that an older refrigerator doesn't work until proven otherwise. My 1973 Dometic still has the level they shipped with every unit, and it still gets cold in gas and electric mode(s)
Old 04-23-2012, 08:42 PM   #7

Trailer: scamp
Registry
Spencer, I tested it on 110v and it worked, the little door to the icebox is un-hinged but should be repairable. Don't know about 12v, will test with a spare battery tomorrow. Will let you know
Old 04-25-2012, 08:49 AM   #8

Minnesota
I was told when I bought the trailer (mid March 2012) that the fridge didn't work. I tried lighting it on gas cycle, and low and behold it works fine. I have also tried it on elec. cycle, and it doesn't do anything (12v or 110v).
Any ideas what i am doing wrong? Simple fix?
Old 04-25-2012, 08:54 AM   #9

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer View Post
I was told when I bought the trailer (mid March 2012) that the fridge didn't work. I tried lighting it on gas cycle, and low and behold it works fine. I have also tried it on elec. cycle, and it doesn't do anything (12v or 110v).
Any ideas what i am doing wrong? Simple fix?
Use a multimeter to verify that power is getting to the heating elements on 12 and 120 volts. You may just have a bad switch or burned out heating elements.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:06 AM   #10

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
As Thomas mentioned, first verify that voltage is actually getting to the refrigerator with a multimeter and also check the ground wires. All of the Dometics I have worked on had separate heating elements for 12 VDC and 120 VAC and the chance of both burning out is possible, but slight. But replacing a heating element is a lot cheaper than replacing the entire cooling circuit. There is also a troubleshooting manual for the older units on the Dometic website.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:14 PM   #11

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Your lucky, if propane works then cooling system is good. It's just a matter of getting the AC and Batt heat sources working. Not sure on your model but on my 77 scamp I have a swich inside fridge and outside at back and both have to be in correct positions.

Tags
fridge