Wanted: Anyone 3D printing parts out there?? - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-01-2019, 02:48 PM   #1

Name: Rusty
Trailer: Spartan
Manitoba
Exclamation Anyone 3D printing parts out there??

On my quest for a set of Bargman locksets I’ve now found out they are no longer manufactured. These lockset/handsets are meant for aluminum units and are pretty rare, getting rarer. My question is has anyone ever tried to 3D print something like this? Was it a success? TIA

Old 02-01-2019, 03:27 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
You can find Bargman complete lock sets on eBay, and many parts too. Usually not cheap, but with patience you might find a good deal. Our Uhaul camper uses the L300. I found a new in the box one for $65 on eBay, but they usually sell there for $200 and up. New cost when they were still in production was $100. Vintage trailer supply sometimes has parts.

Old 02-02-2019, 02:02 PM   #3

Name: Bat Dude
Trailer: Escape
Michigan
CC

Thought about seeing if 3d printing a batch of CCs which would cover costs of travel

OK guess not.

Cheers all
Bat Dude
Old 02-02-2019, 04:38 PM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21
CA
amateur 3D printing is almost entirely "pla", which has a rather low melting point and isn't very strong.
Old 02-02-2019, 04:45 PM   #5

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
I doubt even sophisticated 3 D printing is up to the task of making a workable and durable exact replacement.
Old 02-02-2019, 05:21 PM   #6

Name: Davie
Trailer: Lite House
Florida
Registry
You can use an inexpensive 3D printer to make a replacement part in PLA, clean up the print and use it as a plug for a silicone mold, then cast the part in resin. Another is to print the part in PLA and use it like you would lost wax by encasing the part in molding sand, adding an in and out port, and casting the part using molten aluminum or brass.
Old 02-02-2019, 07:15 PM   #7

Tennessee
Good, did not think of making a 3D mold then using molten metal to actually make the part. But, that's not really making the part using 3D, you are making a mold, not the part. Or the mold might be filled with powdered metal, then heated. Not sure making a 3D mold then filling it with metal would be a cheaper method of production.
Old 02-02-2019, 10:49 PM   #8

Name: K C
Trailer: 1971 Trailswest Campster
Washington
The only type of 3D printing that could produce a functional metal lock takes a very specialized printer. This is not desktop 3D printing equipment, it is specialized industrial equipment.

After the extrusion process the material is removed from the printer and put into an oven to burn out the binding adhesives.
https://i.materialise.com/blog/en/ho...n-steel-works/

That technology has been around for a while. About 15 years ago when I was doing some college course in technology manufacturing the design/technology program lab at a local high school was given one of those printers that was being surplussed, the Navy gave it to them. It was in a town with a large Naval base so that was a good feeder school for them to gather new recruits from.
Old 02-03-2019, 05:38 AM   #9

Tennessee
K Corbin,
Did not know that. Sure wish I could see that process in person. Now that would be a fun thing to do on one of these RV excursions...
Old 02-03-2019, 09:34 AM   #10

Name: Rusty
Trailer: Spartan
Manitoba
That sounds like the only plausible method IMO. (Lost wax etc). With a good quality cast it could hypothetically be manufactured again. There is a legitimate demand for these..the L-66 needs to be reproduced ASAP with the demand for reproduction parts out there.
Old 02-03-2019, 12:39 PM   #11

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Oswego, NY
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustyempire View Post
That sounds like the only plausible method IMO. (Lost wax etc). With a good quality cast it could hypothetically be manufactured again. There is a legitimate demand for these..the L-66 needs to be reproduced ASAP with the demand for reproduction parts out there.
While it wouldn't work for this situation, I did an interesting "lost Styrofoam" aluminum casting as an experiment in a metal working class. Packed the Styrofoam model in casting sand, then poured the aluminum (without removing the foam model). It worked, but sure stunk up the lab!
Old 02-04-2019, 12:05 PM   #12

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
It was recently announced that the first 3-d printed metal parts had been tested on an aircraft engine. I imagine the machine that did it would be a little pricey!
Old 02-04-2019, 12:52 PM   #13

Name: Rob
Trailer: '73 Love Bug
Florida
Registry
I 3D printed a number of custom parts for my Love Bug camper restoration. I can print in ABS, PLA & PETG as well as some wood/plastic and brass/plastic composites. I haven't tried to model any locks but it might be possible to print some of the components. Of course, once you have a model of the pieces, they can be sent to a metal printer if that is what you are after. Before I got into re-designing the wheel though, I'd probably look to the locks on offer from Ian of Camping Treasures or AP Products.

At 33 and after 12 years behind a desk, I am getting a little restless. This idea is half-baked, but I was wondering how busy I could stay on the road 3D printing custom pieces/replacement parts, topographic souvenir maps, laser etching photos of your grand kids in wood, etc, etc. I wouldn't expect to do this full-time but to supplement remote and freelance work.

Beyond the novelty of being able to produce anything in plastic on the spot, do any of you that spend a good bit of time on the road and in rv parks think that a tow vehicle custom-built as a rolling workshop would be well-received? Do you have something in your mind that you need made, just don't have the means? Are there broken pieces in your campers that you can't find replacements for? If someone in the RV park could design and print something for you on the spot, would you pay for it? How friendly are RV parks to folks selling their wares?

Just kicking ideas around and this seemed like a good thread for it. I look forward to your thoughts.
Old 02-04-2019, 04:46 PM   #14

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbn View Post
If someone in the RV park could design and print something for you on the spot, would you pay for it? How friendly are RV parks to folks selling their wares?

Just kicking ideas around and this seemed like a good thread for it. I look forward to your thoughts.
RV Parks is pretty generic. I would expect every privately owned/managed rv park as its own rules and you'd need to check on a case-by-case basis. Since you'd be using their electricity to generate money, you probably would be hooked up to metered electric. Too publicly owned parks run similarly. One county has different rules than another. I know you can't sell anything in an Oregon State Park, for the very reason they don't want people to set up 'garage sales.' They do have a permit to sell products. The only one I've ever seen was used to setup a coffee kiosk. Might be worth looking into, wherever you go.