Bargman L-400 lock on eBay tonight (Oct 23) - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-23-2018, 05:14 PM   #1

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 5th Wheel
Bargman L-400 lock on eBay tonight (Oct 23)

Hi folks,

We are selling the Bargman L-400 lock that we removed from our Surfside project trailer and I wanted to give folks here a heads up that the ad will be going live on eBay this evening, Oct 23, at 6pm Pacific Time.

The lock is tested and working, and we have 4 non-original keys for it. It is 40+ years old and looks it. The prior owner ground the metal tang down about 3/32" -- we're guessing it was his "fix" to enable the sagging door to be latched and locked. There is an additional hole drilled in the interior mounting plate, and various dings and scratches.

Ebay price is $175 or best offer. I know, I know, it's crazy expensive for a well-used lock but supply and demand, yada yada. It will help pay for that pricey lithium battery that Peter has his eye on for our Surfside remodeling project.

Cheers,
--Lynne

Old 10-23-2018, 07:02 PM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Your shipping is high. Should easily fit in a padded flat rate envelope ($7.25). Just make a box/sleeve for it. I sell on Ebay and use a lot of flat rate padded envelopes.

Old 10-23-2018, 07:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Your shipping is high. Should easily fit in a padded flat rate envelope ($7.25). Just make a box/sleeve for it. I sell on Ebay and use a lot of flat rate padded envelopes.
I didn't know about the flat rate envelopes -- thanks for that tip, Bill! I sell some stuff on ebay but not a lot. I'll check that out when I go over to the postal station tomorrow.

FYI, it shows as $7 for nearby delivery. I'm curious, how much does it show for shipping to your location?

Thanks again! Lynne (& Peter)
Old 10-23-2018, 07:24 PM   #4

Registry
$15.34

I collect and sell a lot of vintage bicycle stuff. I am able to put a complete crankset in a padded flat rate envelope, which allows me to ship to anywhere in the 50 states of US for $7.25. I've shipped at this price all the way to AK and HI.

On lighter stuff, I always use first class mail.

Between first class and flat rate padded envelopes, that's 90% of what I sell. Order flat rate padded envelopes from usps website for free. I've never seen them stocked at a post office.
Old 10-23-2018, 07:52 PM   #5

Ah, yes, that's a bit high. I'll switch over to flat rate envelopes for items that are heavy and not too big. That should help with sales on heavier items. I do like using first class for lightweight items, particularly now that tracking is available on those. Thanks for sharing your ebay tips. Much appreciated!
Old 10-23-2018, 10:41 PM   #6

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Link to photos? I'd be interested in seeing pics of the tang, it sounds to me much like what I see on the latch on my own 4500's Bargman door latch.
Old 10-24-2018, 12:36 AM   #7

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynneh View Post
I didn't know about the flat rate envelopes -- thanks for that tip, Bill! I sell some stuff on ebay but not a lot. I'll check that out when I go over to the postal station tomorrow. Lynne (& Peter)

FWIW, I used to sell a lot on Ebay years ago. Went to USPS to mail out a large heavy item and the price was...high. The clerk was also an Ebayer, he looked over his shoulder then whispered to me that he used FedEx for items like mine as it was a lot cheaper. I changed vendors and he was right. Disclaimer: is was 20 years ago and I have no idea how they compare now but it might be something to look into for anyone shipping bigger/heavier items.
Old 10-24-2018, 06:09 AM   #8

Registry
Almost all of my big stuff goes Fed Ex (usually complete bicycles and bicycle frames). But I shipped a large bicycle frame last year to Whitehorse, Yukon. USPS Priority mail was 1/4th Fed Ex rate, which was shocking. Within the USA, Fed Ex is the winner on bigger stuff.

Once an item leaves the US, postage tends to skyrocket, making shipping uneconomical. I sent a bicycle frame to New Zealand. Sold the frame for $175. Postage was over $400......

My wife and I suffer from "buying disorder" (buy too much stuff). So eBay is key to keep stuff moving on to new homes.
Old 10-24-2018, 09:14 AM   #9

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Link to photos? I'd be interested in seeing pics of the tang, it sounds to me much like what I see on the latch on my own 4500's Bargman door latch.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bargman-L-4...n/183500206704
Old 10-24-2018, 05:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Yup, that's the one! Thank you Gordon for posting the link.

Quote:
Francesca -- take a look at the pics when you have time. I'd be very curious to know if the latch tang on your 4500 looks the same as ours. Could it have been a builder modification instead of an owner mod as we were guessing?
Old 10-24-2018, 05:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Picked up the padded flat rate envelopes at the postal station today and updated my ebay ad. It is now displaying a $7.10 ship cost no matter what zip code I enter for the destination so I think I got it right (fingers crossed). Now I understand how other sellers could offer free shipping on so many items -- they just built that fixed $7 cost into the sales price. Creating/updating this ad has certainly been educational for me (in a good way, I think )
Old 10-24-2018, 08:30 PM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Picked up the padded flat rate envelopes at the postal station today and updated my ebay ad. It is now displaying a $7.10 ship cost no matter what zip code I enter for the destination so I think I got it right (fingers crossed). Now I understand how other sellers could offer free shipping on so many items -- they just built that fixed $7 cost into the sales price. Creating/updating this ad has certainly been educational for me (in a good way, I think )
Exactly! And when other sellers ask $20 for shipping, it gives you a distinct advantage. They just don't know how to ship at a low price.
Old 10-24-2018, 10:39 PM   #13

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:

Francesca -- take a look at the pics when you have time. I'd be very curious to know if the latch tang on your 4500 looks the same as ours. Could it have been a builder modification instead of an owner mod as we were guessing?
I did look but can't see the tang very well- any chance you could post a pic showing it in profile? I'll go out and get a pic of mine tomorrow, I really only noticed this recently due to problems with the door popping open.
Old 10-25-2018, 04:06 PM   #14

Quote:
I did look but can't see the tang very well- any chance you could post a pic showing it in profile?
Here's a picture showing it in profile. It's hard to get the camera to focus on just the tang and not the latch body or the background, so it is slightly blurry but does show the notch more clearly.
Attached Thumbnails
Bargman Lock - Tang Profile - NEW.jpeg  

Tags
l-400