Battery - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-30-2014, 12:15 AM   #1

Name: sandra
Trailer: boler 1977
Ontario
Talking Battery

Hi Guys... Just wondering if someone can give me information on what to purchase and how to install some sort of Battery so that I can have power in my trailer (1977 boler) when not at an electrical site - which is 99% of the time.

I have looked at the Marine batteries and someone also showed me a solar panel which can charge the battery. Not sure what is the best thing to do and I also do not know what to hook the battery up to once I get it. My trailer does have electrical sockets in it and a cord out the back and these do work.

Sandra

Old 07-17-2014, 05:00 AM   #2

Name: Al
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
I'm not familiar with the Boler layout as I have only ever had a Trillium, but I know with my trailer the battery goes underneath the bottom bunk bed located at the front of the trailer. You may want to try looking in a similar area in your Boler.
As for what kind of battery to use, my father used to have real good luck with a couple of 6 volt golf cart batteries as these are meant to run all day on a single charge under heavy use. You would need to connect them in series which would mean a single wire going from one positive post to one negative post on the 2 batteries, leaving the remaining 2 posts free to connect to the trailer. Hope this is of some help to you.

Old 07-17-2014, 06:06 AM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2003 Casita 16' SD
Michigan
Registry
I have only questions, no answers. Your trailer seems unusual from what little you’ve told us. Your Boler doesn’t have a battery in it now? You’ve looked under all the cushions, behind every door, under every seat/bench? No battery cable clamps perhaps lying on the floor to indicate where a battery might go. There are no 12v items currently in it now, like lights? If it has 12v lights but no battery, I wonder how the lights work. One way would be with a converter but those are usually installed with a battery as part of the system. Does it have a converter in it but no battery? Would you recognize a converter? No fuse/breaker panel?

I don’t think we’re going to be able to talk you through installing a battery and all the associated wiring through forum posts. I would think this needs to be farmed out to someone more knowledgeable. To have some accountability for the work after the fact I’m inclined to recommend an RV dealer of some sort. I know from reading some of your other posts that you're constrained by a budget and this is added/unplanned expense but wiring a trailer is not a trivial process if there's nothing there to begin with.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:47 AM   #4

Name: Janice & Rick
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Nova Scotia
Registry
Interesting. I have no answers but would like to share my observation in and about our Trillium that someone may shed 'light' on as well.

We do have a battery in the storage area under our dinette seat on the sink side. And it does power the interior lights. We do have a converter as well. Now, I'm about to ask a really stupid question, please bear with me . . . . what is the method to make the lights work at an electrical site? Ours don't seem to.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:52 AM   #5

Michigan
Registry
I’m interpreting what you’re saying is that you have DC lights when running on the battery only and then when you plug in, the lights go off. One way this might happen is that the converter has a relay that was in some way cutting the battery out of the loop when it was plugged in and at the same time the DC output of the converter was compromised (blown fuse?).
Old 07-17-2014, 09:04 AM   #6

Name: Janice & Rick
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Nova Scotia
Registry
I will run this by Rick when he gets home from work - thank you, Steve.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:22 PM   #7

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by zed17 View Post
Hi Guys... Just wondering if someone can give me information on what to purchase and how to install some sort of Battery so that I can have power in my trailer (1977 boler) when not at an electrical site - which is 99% of the time.

Sandra
On most of the older Bolers I have seen the battery is mounted on the tongue of the trailer. It may be simple that the battery that was on the trailer went dead and the previous owner removed it. Or the other reason you don't have one is that the old converter failed and they didn't replace it - assuming they had one to start with. If the lights in your trailer are 12V then you probable have a converter in your trailer already - otherwise they will not work when just plugged into 110 power. If the lights are all 110 then you will need to change them back to 12V in order for them to run off of battery power. There maybe/should be battery connection up on the outside of the trailer. A simple deep cell group 27 battery will do the job for you but if no converter in the trailer then you will need a means to charge it. You can charge it when traveling with the charge line from the tow/tug assuming you have a charge line installed or you could as many folks here do get your self a small solar system. If you do a google on this site you will find lots of info on that topic.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 02:05 PM   #8

Michigan
Registry
Left to my own devices I would have assumed that there were battery cables somewhere. Many trailers stored the battery on the tongue as Carol suggests. There would be battery cables and indication of a box or other hold down out there. Lacking a converter or having a disabled converter, the cheapest option is a cheap battery charger that you connect with alligator clips and plug it into the campsite power post while camping.

Next step up would be tidying up the charger connections to the battery (losing the alligator clips) and/or buying a better charger.

Next step up again would be whatever makes the most sense to you financially (both short term and long term) between replacing the converter or going solar, with a side trip analysis as to whether you tend to camp in the open or heavily shaded campsite.

All of my proposed options kind of assume that there's wiring already there and you just haven't recognized it.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:52 PM   #9

Name: sandra
Trailer: boler 1977
Ontario
Thank you everyone for all of your replies... there is definitely a lot of info on this thread, I just don't understand much of it... I will have to take my trailer, at some point, to an RV dealer and get a battery installed, maybe with solar panels to charge it.... I will say, to clarify, that although I do not see a battery anywhere, I know that there is a panel outside behind the sink cabinet - and I remember the previous owners saying that I could switch the knob from AC to DC... Also, the lights outside the trailer by the door definitely have a 12 volt bulb but these do not work unless the electrical cord is plugged in. Hope this clarifies... and thanks for your help.
Old 08-03-2014, 05:18 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L. View Post
Left to my own devices I would have assumed that there were battery cables somewhere. Many trailers stored the battery on the tongue as Carol suggests. There would be battery cables and indication of a box or other hold down out there. Lacking a converter or having a disabled converter, the cheapest option is a cheap battery charger that you connect with alligator clips and plug it into the campsite power post while camping.

Next step up would be tidying up the charger connections to the battery (losing the alligator clips) and/or buying a better charger.

Next step up again would be whatever makes the most sense to you financially (both short term and long term) between replacing the converter or going solar, with a side trip analysis as to whether you tend to camp in the open
All of my proposed options kind of assume that there's wiring already there and you just haven't recognized it.
Steve I have in the past month helped someone with there 76 trillium there was absolutely no sign of any battery hookup to the converter right from its original build then a few weeks ago I also purchased a identical 76 trillium and there was also no sign of ever having a battery so I am assuming a battery must of been an option on the trillium and some other trailers
Old 12-16-2014, 10:22 PM   #11

Name: Loren
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RBI
California
Never hookup a led acid battery inside, when they are charged fumes will build up that are both toxic and flammable. Use a sealed fiberglass mat battery.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 12-17-2014, 06:14 AM   #12
CPW

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Flori-duh!
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljklaassen View Post
Never hookup a led acid battery inside, when they are charged fumes will build up that are both toxic and flammable. Use a sealed fiberglass mat battery.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV

Batteries installed inside trailers are vented to the outside. Many manufacturers do this.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 12-17-2014, 09:44 AM   #13

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Some car manufactures also do this. I had an 1985 Audi 5000 that had the battery under the back seat. No vent that I recall.
Old 12-17-2014, 12:24 PM   #14

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Some car manufactures also do this. I had an 1985 Audi 5000 that had the battery under the back seat. No vent that I recall.
Whole lotta VW cars with the battery under the seat. I still don't want one in my trailer though. I remember one time when the poorly secured battery in my old VW "Baja Bug" jumped up and shorted against the back seat springs and started a smallish fire. Good times, good times.

Tags
battery