biggar parts - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-02-2016, 05:34 PM   #1

Name: mike
Trailer: biggar
British Columbia
biggar parts

Hi everyone, I have replaced the axle's on the BIGGAR with two new 3500#axle assembly's which I had derated down to 2500# , the old axles had hairline cracks around tubing , the drums and bearings on the old axles are in good shape if anyone is interested in them. I pulled the COLEMAN air conditioner , runs great but doesn't get cold maybe someone can use it for parts or get it recharged, replaced interior lights with LED . old lights available if someone is interested, if not its all going for recycle. also have 3 hubcaps. thank you to MARINAB for welcoming me to the BIGGAR family. I will post pictures when I get the new tire and rims mounted.

Old 07-02-2016, 11:51 PM   #2

Name: Vic
Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982 16 ft
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike mcbiggar in b View Post
I have replaced the axle's on the BIGGAR with two new 3500#axle assembly's which I had derated down to 2500# .
Just two questions Mike. Why did you de-rate the axles, and how did you de-rate the axles? It seems to me that having axles of a higher rating than needed is a good thing.

Vic

Old 07-05-2016, 11:17 AM   #3

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Benz View Post
Just two questions Mike. Why did you de-rate the axles, and how did you de-rate the axles? It seems to me that having axles of a higher rating than needed is a good thing.

Vic
Vic, If the axles are too stiff, the trailer takes a beating. I had a 3500 lb axle put on one of my 4500's. While going over a train crossing, with an empty trailer, I looked in the rear view mirror and saw the trailer jump up and sideways. When I got home the table was broken.
Old 07-05-2016, 01:13 PM   #4

Name: mike
Trailer: biggar
British Columbia
derating torsion axle

thank you Dave for answering part of the question asked by Vic, as for derating a torsion axle what I was told is that they remove some of the rubber from the axle, the shop that did the work contacted dexter axle who then sent them a spec sheet on the procedure. they can do this in increments down to 2500# which I personally believe is more than adequate for a trailer this size, the 2000# axle was actually more expensive , I was told it isn't as common as a 3500 axle ,

Tags
biggar