Boler cast aluminum emblems - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-19-2018, 10:14 PM   #1

Name: Peter
Trailer: 1979 boler 1700
British Columbia
Wink Boler cast aluminum emblems

Hello all!
I am just seeing if there is interest in cast aluminum Boler emblems.
I will be making a couple of them for my Boler and if there is interest out there for these I will make them for others.
I would probably charge $100 for each unpolished or $200 for each one polished.
If there is no interest, no worries, and all the best.
Bolerpete in British Columbia

Bolerpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 08:31 AM   #2

Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Registry
I'm interested in the product but not the price. Show us some pictures.

Markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 08:10 PM   #3

British Columbia
Smile

I will be making mine in the next few weeks. They will be a replica of the plastic one you can get at Kampett.
If the price does not work for you that is totally fine......but to do a good job actually takes time.
All the best.
Bolerpete
Old 09-20-2018, 09:30 PM   #4

Name: Al
Trailer: 1969 Boler 13'
Alberta
Please take some pictures or video Pete. Using petrobond or green sand?

Al
Gippeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 09:40 PM   #5

British Columbia
I will be using petrobond because this gives the best finish for the cost....without spending ridiculous amounts of money for the casting.
I am just putting out the feelers for interest out there to see if I will do more of a production or just keep a few for myself.
Pete
Old 09-21-2018, 07:58 AM   #6

Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II
Mississippi
Registry
There was a guy at the Winnipeg Boler Rally making these with a 3D printer. They were perfect. After chrome plating you couldn’t tell them from originals.
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 11:25 AM   #7

British Columbia
Yes, I have already purchased some of these a few months ago, painted them and installed them on my boler. After a summer of sun, the one emblem that saw a lot of sun began to curl a bit.
Casting in solid aluminum is an entirely different animal and I understand that many do not want to go to this level when you can get a plastic one which when painted or chromed looks like the real thing.
Cast aluminum ones are not for everyone as they come with much labor and higher production costs, but some may find it worth it.
For those who do not feel this way, you are entitled to your opinion, but I am not really interested in a conversation about those matters.
Go and get a plastic emblem and be happy.
Pete
Old 09-21-2018, 02:02 PM   #8

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Good of you to provide this option. Unfortunately work cost money and value is in the eye of the beholder. I wouldn't do it for free either. Take a 100 bucks and divide it into 40 years and it isnt much. Thank you for sharing your art work. 40 years ago I took metal casting in high school it was a fun rewarding process. Unfortunately I have a Scamp. I hope you share your finished work I would like to see it.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 03:26 PM   #9

Name: K C
Trailer: 1971 Trailswest Campster
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Outlaw View Post
There was a guy at the Winnipeg Boler Rally making these with a 3D printer. They were perfect. After chrome plating you couldn’t tell them from originals.
They curled because he was using the wrong choice of material for the job. There are now more than a 100 different materials available for 3D printing and a number of them would have been more suitable for exterior use. Low cost printers typically can only use plastics that have a lower melting point. So that is why your emblems warped, the operator used a low temp plastic.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 10:40 PM   #10

British Columbia
Cast Aliminum Boler Emblem

Well, after some “learning” I managed to get a few of these emblems made from aircraft grade aluminum....will polish in coming weeks. I made a mini foundry and used petrobond sand as my casting sand. So far I am happy with the results....so here is a pic for anyone who was curious.
Attached Thumbnails
DFD3087B-8C13-4B7E-BCC5-FB23AB4CFFC1.jpeg  
Old 11-22-2018, 11:06 PM   #11

Alberta
Not too shabby.

Was thinking to bring the runners in on the back side of the "bar" below the lettering when I do mine...shouldn't have to clean up the lettering if I get it right.

Or did you try that already and it didn't work out? I'm very new to this...it was dads hobby.

Al
Old 11-23-2018, 01:05 AM   #12

British Columbia
Emblem

Having the runners leading to the lower bar may work but I suspect that it will not as it is much smaller in cross sectional volume than the letters. This is a tricky process, and velocity, turbulence, and temperature of the molten aluminum are concepts that need much more respect than I gave them previously.
Good luck and make sure the molten aluminum is yellow / silver as your check for temperature and give the mold a few inches of head pressure on the inlet side. The molten aluminum also has to be poured without interruption and very quickly as it cools almost instantly.
Pete
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 11-23-2018, 04:30 AM   #13

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Very nice work Peter, looks real good. I'm always impressed that some folks will take an idea for an obsolete or new item, follow it through and offer to make some for others. That's a gold star in my book.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 08:06 AM   #14

Alberta
Thank you for the tips Pete, I know they were hard won through failure and persistence...much appreciated.

Al

Tags
boler