Wanted: Boler Hinges - Looking for a pair of Boler Entry Door Hinges - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-12-2012, 06:03 PM   #1

Name: Joel
Trailer: 1981 Boler
Sarnia, Ontario
Question Boler Hinges - Looking for a pair of Boler Entry Door Hinges

Hello,

I recently bought a 1981 Boler and the original hinges have been removed.
previous owner removed them, probably because they were worn, and didn't realize he could put a new ball kit in. so they welded up some hinges and pitched the old ones....

real bummer, but i need a pair of hinges, i think any boler year will fit for a 13' boler.

I spoke with Paul Neumeister and he said the hinges from scamp will not work properly? he said they bind and aren't set at the right angle? i thought they were the same other then the 3rd bolt hole on the body side of the hinge?

if anyone else knows if they work properly please let me know. i don't even mind modding the scamp hinges if that is what has to be done for them to work. i'm sure i've seen other bolers on here with scamp hinges. so i'm sure it can be done?

anyways, if you have a pair or know someone that has a pair. please let me know price and condition.

thanks for your time,

Joel Brown

Old 01-12-2012, 07:28 PM   #2

Name: Liz
Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler, 1987 & 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
California
Registry
I used Scamp hinges and so have many other people. I added shims under the hinges to level them a bit so they would swing easier and I patched the original holes in the boler body and drilled new ones. I had the original boler hinges and they were a wee bit shorter in the arm length and only had two holes.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:56 PM   #3

Sarnia, Ontario
hi Lizbeth,

thanks for the reply. would you have pictures of the final job? just wanna see how it turned out. can you see the shims when looking at the shims from the side after the installation? or did you maybe caulk around the joint where the hinge meets the body/door to cover the shims? how much shimming did you have to do? more then an 1/8th inch or less then that? did you do them at the same level as the original hinges? or did you do them higher or lower on the body? just wanna get an idea of how much needs doing for them to work.

do you have the original hinges still? or were they broken in some way? or missing all together?

thanks for your time,

Joel Brown
Old 01-13-2012, 02:04 AM   #4

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: idiotsniff... I only have a pic. of the Scamp hinge. The arm for the door part is 1/4" longer so the hinge must be relocated...but they probably needed re aligned any way.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
hinge eh!.jpg  
Old 01-13-2012, 10:15 AM   #5

Name: Liz
Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler, 1987 & 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
California
Registry
Joel, I am running out the door. I have a few pictures....if I can find them, it was years ago and the trailer is in storage right now. I wiil look through pictures tonight or tomorrow and get back to you.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:01 AM   #6

Sarnia, Ontario
Alf.S, the current hinges that are on this boler now need to be removed and their holes filled and the original holes filled in too. then i'll need to re-drill like your saying anyways. due to the mess this guy did to the trailer. its a perfect trailer other then paint and this mess they did to the hinges.

thanks for the picture. i wish i could get a blank set of these hinges with no holes drilled in them or the hinge bolt drilled out. if i could get a set that is fresh from the cast i could mount them and make them work by drilling a level hole in the hinge after its monuted. that would work perfect. but i doubt that is even an option???? maybe scamp could do that? but they are probably made in china or something anyways so chances are nope.

but thanks again,

Joel
Old 01-13-2012, 11:02 AM   #7

Sarnia, Ontario
thanks Liz, if you could find them and post that would be much appreciated.

did you end up putting caulk around the seams of the hinge where it meets the body to cover these shims you mentioned? or did you just leave it? and does it look ok? thats why i was asking about the photos.

thanks again,

Joel Brown

Tags
boler