Wanted: Bunk posts for a 13' scamp - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-08-2012, 05:35 PM   #1

Name: Nancy
Trailer: 1974 13' Scamp
Oregon
Bunk posts for a 13' scamp

I'm looking for posts for the bunk in my 13' scamp. The hardware they fit into on the bottom was there when I bought it but it was missing the poles and the hardware that attaches the poles to the bottom of the bunk.

I'd appreciate any suggestions about where to come by that hardware and if some steel pipe of the right dimensions would be just as good as the poles that were originally there.

Thanks a bunch!

Old 07-09-2012, 03:20 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Sherril
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Idaho
hi Nancy, mine was also missing the posts and I bought 2 from Scamp directly. They weren't very expensive.

Sherril

Old 07-09-2012, 03:35 PM   #3

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
The top bunk does not really have any hardware for the posts. Other than a screw.

The posts have a little loop welded on that supports the top bunk and slips over a screw head on the underside of the top bunk. Loop is tapered (almost a triangle) so screw head can only fit in at one end.

Here is a link to the bunk post in the parts store Bunk Post View Larger Image and you can see the loop.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:33 PM   #4

Oregon
Thanks!

I see what you mean---no top hardware. Thanks so much for the advice. It now seems rather obvious that I should have started at the Scamp store to get an idea what I was after anyway. Thanks again.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:39 PM   #5

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
You might want to ask them if there is anything that goes into the top bunk when you are ordering. Mine has a little plastic thing the screw goes through. But mine is not a scamp.
Is there anything on the underside of your top bunk?
Old 07-09-2012, 05:31 PM   #6

Oregon
Thanks Roy---There's nothing attached outside the upholstery. I'm assuming the previous owners reupholstered it and never planned to use it as a bunk.

Another thing. Is there normally a hinge at the back of the bunk? I didn't see one at the Scamp store and ours has nothing. Are the poles enough to secure the bunk up on that ledge under the window?

Thanks! Nancy
Old 07-09-2012, 05:32 PM   #7

Michigan
Yes there is a a pair of hinges, they are on second page of hardware, called chest hinges. http://shop.scamptrailers.com/p-353-...st-hinges.aspx

Make sure to take a look at the plywood shelf that the bunk hinges are screwed into. On my 77 the wood is fiberglass "tabbed" to the wall, fiberglass was starting to shear off at edge of the wood at one end. And the screws had rusted to the point of almost not having threads, wood was turning to dust around screws. Damage was not really obvious.

I have top bunk removed currently and will post a picture of the place I need to repair as a guide to what you might want to look at before having someone sleep on the top bunk.

Good news is it's not an especially tough repair to make. At least according to the folks that posted about doing it.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:35 PM   #8

Name: Evan
Trailer: 1983 13' Scamp
Oregon
Yes there are hinges that attach the top bunk to the wall beneath the window. You can also get them from the Scamp website or from your local hardware store. I think they are chest hinges but you can see what they look like on Scamp's website.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:01 PM   #9

Oregon
Thanks----I'd really appreciate seeing those pics! Is it a fiberglassing fix?
Old 07-09-2012, 10:13 PM   #10

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy O View Post
Thanks----I'd really appreciate seeing those pics! Is it a fiberglassing fix?
Yes a FG repair, but totally hidden, so looks don't matter. It's like using fiberglass cloth and resin as "tape" to tape the wood to the front wall, hidden behind the ensolite wall covering. I'll have to gently scrape the ensolite off and then glue it back down after the FG repair. You may not have this problem. But I did not see it until taking the bunk off.

First picture is front wall, with bunk shelf in the foreground. Look close at the crack, you can see the ragged edges of white fiberglass cloth peeking out from behind the ensolite along the top edge. That crack should not be there, fiberglass "tape" is starting to break at this one end of the bunk shelf.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/m...icture2355.jpg

Second picture is bunk upside down to show chest hinge that attaches to shelf. Note the empty screw holes going from two directions, into edge of shelf and up from bottom of shelf.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/m...icture2356.jpg

Third picture is bunk upside down to show bunk post on screw, you can see how pushing pole "in" would allow screw to slip out of loop. You will also note that PO did not know about putting wood glue and toothpicks into stripped screw holes and instread just moved screw. Sigh.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/m...icture2357.jpg
Old 07-09-2012, 10:53 PM   #11

Oregon
hinge placement

Great pics! Bummer of a discovery. I am trying to sort out how the hinge fits in and from your second picture it looks like the weight of the bunk is hanging on the hinge from the edge of the ledge. Does your bunk not rest fully on the ledge, flush with the wall?
Old 07-09-2012, 11:17 PM   #12

Name: Robert
Trailer: 1985 scamp 13ft
Oregon
Nancy with my hinges on. the bunk overlaps the shelf about 2".When folded down it does not hit the bench
Old 07-10-2012, 12:11 AM   #13

Oregon
Robert, ok--that's what I was expecting. So are your hinges mounted that two inches from the edge of the bunk? Not flush---because that wouldn't allow for any overlap and put considerable strain on the hinge/screws as well as the wall/ledge joint----right?
Old 07-10-2012, 12:32 AM   #14

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy O View Post
Great pics! Bummer of a discovery. I am trying to sort out how the hinge fits in and from your second picture it looks like the weight of the bunk is hanging on the hinge from the edge of the ledge. Does your bunk not rest fully on the ledge, flush with the wall?
You are correct bunk essentially "hangs" from the self by the hinge. I would guess that much of the strength comes from the screws going horizontally into the edge of the shelf.

Makes some sense, put the hinges on bottom of shelf where they won't be seen.

I can set the bunk back in place to check but I don't think the bunk frame overlaps the shelf, I think just the cushion does.

On the other hand after 35 years who knows if this is all original.

Tags
scamp