compact II screens - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-15-2016, 09:46 PM   #1

Name: James
Trailer: In the Market
Washington
compact II screens

I am in need for window screens for my Compact II side sliding windows. Does anyone know where I could pick up a pair or have some make? They are a rounded corner window and I can't find anyone in Seattle that can bend a frame.

Old 07-16-2016, 09:12 AM   #2

Name: B
Trailer: 1973 13 ft Compact II
Oregon
Compact II window screens

Quote:
Originally Posted by James KD View Post
I am in need for window screens for my Compact II side sliding windows. Does anyone know where I could pick up a pair or have some make? They are a rounded corner window and I can't find anyone in Seattle that can bend a frame.
James,
I have a Compact II, with all screens intact. So I've never faced trying to get someone to work w/our trapezoid Windows & screens.
My first approach, which you have probably also searched, would be all of the vintage trailer parts. They are ranging from the new remake sellers on-line, to the wonderful world of trailer salvage yards.
Then I would check with metal/aluminum fabricators, which would charge the most, but would do the best to re-invent the wheel (AKA: re-invent the screen).
Also, I've seen quite a bit of advertising for Bob's Salvage in Sacramento, CA. (Not sure if I'm pulling up accurate stuff from my rapidly aging memory. But you'll get so much good info from all the fiberglassrv members, which is bound to give you some good options.
Keep us posted, as many of us Compact owners may need this info, at a later time
Best of LUCK!

Old 08-21-2016, 08:49 PM   #3

Washington
bbuelher, could you tell me how they are attached? I have pictures, but for the life of me I can't tell how they sit/attach to the window frame. The don't seem to be screwed on like the door screen.
Old 08-21-2016, 10:49 PM   #4

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
Ours are just barely attached. They just sort of sit in the space by gravity
Coincidentally, I was talking to my 88 y/o father this afternoon and he was talking about buying the frame stock and constructing window screens. Apparently there are little corner inserts that hold the sticks of frame together until you put in the screen and spline
Is that information of any use here?

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 08-22-2016, 09:36 AM   #5

Oregon
Compact II screens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denece View Post
Ours are just barely attached. They just sort of sit in the space by gravity
Coincidentally, I was talking to my 88 y/o father this afternoon and he was talking about buying the frame stock and constructing window screens. Apparently there are little corner inserts that hold the sticks of frame together until you put in the screen and spline
Is that information of any use here?

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
James
Just got your message. They may look like just Gravity is holding them, BUT they have a square groove in the middle of the Bottom of the screens and this groove in the aluminum screen allows it to RIDE the RAILS. WHEN the 1/2 window is open, you can see the screens open notch and where it goes back and forth. The screen stays flush with the surrounding aluminum of the riveted on window surround (viewed from inside trailer).
If you lived closer you could come view the incredibly beautiful simplistic design this is.

Hope this might help.
Barbara
Old 08-22-2016, 12:01 PM   #6

Washington
Bbueler,

Thanks for your response, it sounds like the screen frame has a grove that sits on the window frame. This is slightly different then the frame material that is comericially available. Is it possible to take a photo of this frame. I know I'm overthinking this, but it just doesn't sound like any frames I've made in the past.
Frankly I don't care if I do original, I'm just looking to have it done where it won't rattle out when traveling but removable to clean the windows.

Denence, If your father makes some, I'd be happy to purchase them. Such a simple thing, but the curved windows complicates this whole thing.

Kirk
Old 08-22-2016, 01:18 PM   #7

Name: K C
Trailer: 1980 18' Sunrader Motorhome and 1971 Trails West CampMite Campster
Washington
I live in Seattle. It is true that it would be difficult to find anyone who can bend a radius in a screen extrusion locally as they would need a custom bending die that was specific to that extrusion.

I am getting ready to 3D print some curved screen corner pieces for my Campster windows. 3D printing is often the answer to these one of a kind projects where you can't find a small part to fit. Fortunately I have the software to design in and my partner as a 3D printer that can run ABS plastic. The original screen for the Campster installation method makes the screens non removable and I want the option of having them removable for easier cleaning and also so I can put a window AC unit in and out of the window opening. So no choice for me but to fabricate my own corners that can be used with standard window screen metal extrusion.

The photo below is showing on of the commercially available corners RV radius screen corners from Pelland Enterprises Motor Home Products - Pelland Enterprises

It is rather like a Lego set, you buy the corners and then purchase the straight metal extrusion. The ends of the corners slip inside of the extrusion. But you do need to know the radius needed. To do that print out a set of concentric circles that match the standard sizes available of te screen radius corners. Then pick the one that matches your curve. You will also need to buy the linear aluminum extrusion that belongs with those corners. Screen extrusions come in several sizes so you do have to match the right corners with the right extrusion that fits them.

At the hardware store you can purchase plastic screen retaining clips. You would use one of those or make your small plastic tab or even make it from a piece of metal. Position it so that it is held in by the screw from your trim ring. You might need to get one size longer screw due to the difference in the thickness of the retaining tab. I have added a photo link below to one type of screen clip that is easy to find at hardware stores. If the screen clips such as the one shown in the photo have that small rounded area under where the screw goes through and it is too long preventing it from holding the screen tight just sand it to the right length which might be flush depending on your frame set up. Retaining clips are not a difficult DIY project, just find some scrap material of a suitable strength, drill a hole, file to the right shape, cut to length, etc.

Old 08-23-2016, 11:42 AM   #8

Washington
k corbin,

I was excited to read your response, and then found the radius's that you referenced are only available in 90 degree corners. Mine are more like 120 degree and 60 degree. Back to square on.

Since you are in Seattle, any chance you could 3d print me some corners if I gave you a pattern? I've spent so much time and energy getting no where I'm getting desperate. I'd like to get screens on before our trip to Canada at the end of September.

Kirk
Old 08-23-2016, 12:15 PM   #9

Washington
Quote:
k corbin,

I was excited to read your response, and then found the radius's that you referenced are only available in 90 degree corners. Mine are more like 120 degree and 60 degree. Back to square on.

Since you are in Seattle, any chance you could 3d print me some corners if I gave you a pattern? I've spent so much time and energy getting no where I'm getting desperate. I'd like to get screens on before our trip to Canada at the end of September.

Kirk
I can't get to it right now as I am trying to get my own remodel finished.

Something for you to investigate:
I don't know if your windows are installed with an inside clamp/trim ring. On mine there is groove in the window frame that you can see when you remove the trim ring, the place where the screws engage, it can be used for putting in spline for screens (a series of short pieces between the scew locations). The upright vertical in the center of the sliding window on my trailer also has a groove in it that will hold a spline.

So basically not all of the trailers had detachable screens, some had the screen installed by means of using that groove in the window framing. If your window is like that then head to the hardware store for screen, spline and a spline roller and you can DIY it yourself right away.
Old 08-23-2016, 12:22 PM   #10

Washington
My windows sound very similar, although the upright is on the outside window to there's nothing here for the window screen to rest on.

I suppose I could cut a series of wedges to make the radius, but it just doesn't sound strong.

If you do mind time to print some out, I'd be more then happy to pay. Thanks.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:00 PM   #11

Washington
Quote:
My windows sound very similar, although the upright is on the outside window to there's nothing here for the window screen to rest on.

I suppose I could cut a series of wedges to make the radius, but it just doesn't sound strong.

If you do mind time to print some out, I'd be more then happy to pay. Thanks.
Thinking about it more today made me realize they could be cut out of Delrin plastic with a laser and some of the spline groove details could then be routed into the plastic. Outline cutting on a laser goes quickly, cutting grooves with a laser takes a lot of time and drives up the cost. Outline cutting is called "vector", cutting swaths of area is called "raster".

Delrin cost around $12.00 for a 12" x 12" piece. Fortunately a good source for it, onlinemetals.com is in my neighborhood in Seattle so I don't have to deal with shipping, I just pick it up at the will call office.

I can't give you a cost estimate until I take time to make some for myself as a test run for the method.

Using 1/4" thick Delrin means the sides of the plastic will be flush with the thickness of the inside of the aluminum channel. It is a minor height difference as that is fairly thin metal so it won't be very objectionable looking. Also you are limited in color choices...black or white. Delrin does not take paint as it is a low surface energy material meaning that it is basically hard to bond stuff to it.

It would be nice for the FGHV community to have a source for getting something that works for making corner radius screens for the vintage units. The demand is likely so small that it is unlikely anyone would contract to produce them in quantity by means of injection molding. But desktop laser cutting and 3D printing are getting more common everyday and that makes it easier to produce such things in small quantities on demand without needing to keep stock on hand.

If you really need them in a hurry and you have a router I think you could make them yourself. Delrin is easy to saw and rout but unlike acrylic plastics it does not shatter. Tough stuff, very durable, a good choice for the project.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:05 AM   #12

Oregon
Screens

James,
I was in between trips, when I first responded. I'll be back home tomorrow and take a few pics of my screens, riding their rail. Hopefully you can construct something that will work fine on yours. If you need to get ready for your trip in September and don't find yourself having time for this project, why not do a simple temporary fix. I would get a cheap piece of screen , either fiberglass or a more rigid metal one. Simply place a big enough piece of paper (or 2 taped together pieces) and press onto the open window. Run and press a pencil over the window ridges that are outlined. Cut out and Use the paper template over the screening and cut it out. Duct tape the screen as neatly as you can, a few times, so you have something more rigid to hold it nicely in the window, between the sliding window, which has moved on its own track, to open the space for the screen to allow air into the trailer.
OR use this 'Thing you've just created' on its own and don't even do anything with the tracks...just lightly duct tape it to the outside window when stopped to camp and lightly disengage the 'Thing' before getting back on the road...wouldn't want wind resistance to damage 'Thing'.
What I'm talking is#SimplyAQuickFixForTheJamesFamily.
Regardless of what you do, have a great Canadian vacation!
Old 08-24-2016, 10:36 AM   #13

Washington
Thank you for responses; you wouldn't believe how much time I've spent on such a simple thing.
k corbin, I too work in plastics, but as hand heat molding, not cad cam. I have thought of hand forming some, but, well they'd look hand formed. I like your idea of laser cutting, if you could do this it would be amazing. From the lack of threads regarding screen manufacturing for compacts I can't imagine there's much if any market for these things. I'm in lake city, Online metals is just across the Ballard bridge; I'd even pick up the material you'd need and get it to you if that would be any help. Believe me, some running around will still be faster then the amount of time I've done in investigation.
bbueler, some pictures would be helpful. I think I'll go with the idea of screen clips though, easy in and out.
Thanks for all the input.

Kirk