For Sale: Custom Bike Rack for 16 Scamp - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-08-2016, 06:34 PM   #1

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp
Ontario
Custom Bike Rack for 16 Scamp

A custom made bike rack for the front of a 16 Scamp. Fits between the hand crank and the propane tank. 1 by 1 bars will work with most bike trays. Clears the propane tank by 2 inches keeping bikes low and out of wind. Your welder can attach base to frame, the rack portion detaches for storage. I'm asking $375 CAD. Text 905-914-6808.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20160308_130017375.jpg   IMG_20160308_130025625.jpg  

Old 03-08-2016, 08:58 PM   #2

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Have you attempted to install a couple of bikes and drive around the block? The concern is contact with TV when turning.

Old 03-09-2016, 06:11 AM   #3

Ontario
I mount the kids bikes up front and the adult bikes on the back to balance the trailer. You certainly can't have a jeep with a big spare tire on the back - that doesn't work. Otherwise a little caution and all seems fine. Note that I had it built so the base is welded to the frame and the rack portion detaches.
Old 03-09-2016, 01:02 PM   #4

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Below is what a hard turn looks like with two full sized bikes mounted on the tongue. Note that the rack is mounted as far aft as possible above the battery which is behind the propane tank.
This works the same with my Ford Escape and actually about the same with any normal TV.
I have seen others loose taillights and suffer body damage when they have built a tongue rack too far forward.
Your idea of using your rack exclusively for children's bikes may well work OK (I haven't tried that). They are much shorter.
Perhaps that design might work also if the wheels were removed from short wheelbase road bikes and placed parallel with the bikes between the down tubes and the headsets. Even then there may be some concern for the handle bars on the forward bike.
Please forgive my comments, they are not intended to be critical or to rain on your parade, but merely to be cautionary and perhaps prevent some grief which I have already seen in other tongue racks.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0044.JPG   DSCF0045.JPG  

Old 03-09-2016, 02:13 PM   #5

Ontario
I take your points well. Having looked at your picture and see how close your bikes are together, I think I'll adjust the handlebars so they are paralell with the bike, this will allow be to slide them back further and closer to the trailer. I can then remove the forward tabs and eliminate some potential issues. After that, for me, the benefit of the bikes mounted lower and out of the way, out weight the costs of a little extra attention. Thanks for you comments.
Old 03-26-2016, 12:36 PM   #6

Ontario
This item is sold.
Old 01-28-2017, 02:04 PM   #7

Name: Liz
Trailer: currently shopping
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Below is what a hard turn looks like with two full sized bikes mounted on the tongue. Note that the rack is mounted as far aft as possible above the battery which is behind the propane tank.
This works the same with my Ford Escape and actually about the same with any normal TV.
I have seen others loose taillights and suffer body damage when they have built a tongue rack too far forward.
Your idea of using your rack exclusively for children's bikes may well work OK (I haven't tried that). They are much shorter.
Perhaps that design might work also if the wheels were removed from short wheelbase road bikes and placed parallel with the bikes between the down tubes and the headsets. Even then there may be some concern for the handle bars on the forward bike.
Please forgive my comments, they are not intended to be critical or to rain on your parade, but merely to be cautionary and perhaps prevent some grief which I have already seen in other tongue racks.
Where did you get the frame for the bike racks? My neighbor can weld it for me.

Thanks!
Liz
919-414-5024

Tags
scamp