Wanted: Door Hinge Parts for '84 Scamp - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-01-2016, 05:50 PM   #1

Name: Lil
Trailer: '84 13' Scamp & '14 homebuilt Benroy Teardrop
Minnesota
Registry
Door Hinge Parts for '84 Scamp

I just noticed that the top hinge on my Scamp is missing the spring and lock washer. I went to the Scamp website and found I can order a replacement door hinge repair kit, but it's so shiny and new looking that I'm afraid it will look glaringly out of place since the pieces I need lack the patina of 32 years of "living".
Anyone have any ideas where I might find old parts?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 08-01-2016, 05:52 PM   #2

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
You'll be a lot happier if you order the bolt, spring, nut and lube from Ian: Products Archive - Boler-Camping

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 07:28 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I second Donna's recommendation. Go for the best new parts you can find. I wouldn't worry too much about the "shiny new" appearance. They will acquire a patina quickly in use!

Or take a look at Ian's work on his Boler. There's a link on his website. You can bring the old hinges back to shiny new! And windows, and belly band, and...
Old 08-01-2016, 08:03 PM   #4

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 13'
Colorado
Registry
I just bought Ian's spruce up kit....arrived super fast, and with instructions! Haven't changed it out yet, but I'm excited to!
Old 08-01-2016, 08:49 PM   #5

Minnesota
Registry
Thanks all. Order placed with Ian.
Old 08-02-2016, 12:09 AM   #6

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil M. View Post
Thanks all. Order placed with Ian.
Good move Lil, I wouldn't notice any patina on a hinge......but I do notice it developing on me .
Old 08-02-2016, 09:17 AM   #7

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
Do you guys/gals ever "oil" the hinge parts?? I know from experience working around metal and brass all my life parts do. But these crazy hinges are SO different... While I dont want oily deposits running down the side of my Scamp, I still feel some of the "ball" parts should be lubed with light oil or light grease. Any thoughts??
Old 08-02-2016, 10:07 AM   #8

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
Do you guys/gals ever "oil" the hinge parts?? I know from experience working around metal and brass all my life parts do. But these crazy hinges are SO different... While I dont want oily deposits running down the side of my Scamp, I still feel some of the "ball" parts should be lubed with light oil or light grease. Any thoughts??
Ian's kit provides a tube of Synthetic teflon assembly lube. Since it's used from the beginning, don't know why you couldn't use it in the future.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:30 AM   #9

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
I like the "non-petroleum" lube. But I wonder how much of the grease could get into the "tight" spots where oil would penetrate. Maybe working the door back and forth? I've never worked on my hinges (still dont need it) nor had them off or seen any apart in "real" life...just in pictures. All I know is, for these "curvy" RV's, they seem to work pretty good. I've just heard mine lately and in 6 yrs I've never lubed them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Ian's kit provides a tube of Synthetic teflon assembly lube. Since it's used from the beginning, don't know why you couldn't use it in the future.
Old 08-02-2016, 11:45 AM   #10

Name: Henry
Trailer: Scamp 2017 16-ft SD / FB
Texas
Hinge parts

Just upgraded my Scamp Hinge and have the old part. If you want them I'll send them to you free. Just send me your snail mail address

Gattopuin 64
Scamp 2011, 16-ft w/ SD - FB
Old 09-11-2016, 05:12 PM   #11

Minnesota
Registry
Gee, thanks for the offer, Gattopuin, but I already received the new parts kit and have just installed it. I did have to go to the hardware store and buy longer stainless steel bolts as there was no way I'd be able to apply enough pressure on the spring to get the nut threads to reach the bolt threads. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1473635512.034608.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	99666 I'm still happy with the end result. Door opens and closes "real smooooth".

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 09-11-2016, 07:04 PM   #12

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
I can order a replacement door hinge repair kit, but it's so shiny and new looking that I'm afraid it will look glaringly out of place since the pieces I need lack the patina of 32 years of "living".
Throw the shiny parts in anything that contains Oxalic acid and your patina will appear sooner.
Old 09-11-2016, 07:24 PM   #13
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Gee, thanks for the offer, Gattopuin, but I already received the new parts kit and have just installed it. I did have to go to the hardware store and buy longer stainless steel bolts as there was no way I'd be able to apply enough pressure on the spring to get the nut threads to reach the bolt threads. Attachment 99666 I'm still happy with the end result. Door opens and closes "real smooooth".

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Hi Lil
You shouldn't need to use a longer bolt.
The picture shows the nylon washer on top of the spring. When correctly installed the lower nylon washer goes between the bottom end of the spring and the locknut.
The longer bolt you installed won't hurt anything.

Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp