Wanted: Entry Door and Door Hinges for Trillium 1300 - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-03-2014, 06:27 PM   #29

Name: Al
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Thanks David. I passed the number along to Andrea. No idea if she was able to get through as I haven't asked her yet.

News on the door repair: I found a guy who is local who will do it for between $500 and $600. He currently specializes in boats, but used to manufacture RVs a long time ago. I think the brand was something along the lines of RVan or something. And get this... His wife just recently retired from the place where I work! I also got him to quote on refinishing the entire shell (minus the frame), and he said he could do it for about $3700 provided there were no surprises. The finish he uses is a polyurethane paint that they use for boats. Supposed to be very durable and only requires soap and water for cleaning. No waxing needed! I figure I can get the frame done at a body shop that I deal with. All in, I think I might be looking at about $6000 max for a complete exterior refinish. Opinions? Please remember that this was my father's trailer and he passed it on to me before he passed away. Thanks for listening (reading?)!

Old 07-03-2014, 07:51 PM   #30

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Al, Do a search on this site for "roll and tip" painting. Good results for cheep.

Old 07-05-2014, 06:19 AM   #31

Name: Rick
Trailer: 1971 Boler 13' / 2013 Ford Escape
Manitoba
Registry
WOW how much is he charging per hour. You have about 2 hours repair time on the door and then paint. $500 to 600 is way too expensive. And the $3700 to do the whole trailer is a major rip off. It is a trailer you go camping in not a Show Car. Just my opinion.

Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty61 View Post
Thanks David. I passed the number along to Andrea. No idea if she was able to get through as I haven't asked her yet.

News on the door repair: I found a guy who is local who will do it for between $500 and $600. He currently specializes in boats, but used to manufacture RVs a long time ago. I think the brand was something along the lines of RVan or something. And get this... His wife just recently retired from the place where I work! I also got him to quote on refinishing the entire shell (minus the frame), and he said he could do it for about $3700 provided there were no surprises. The finish he uses is a polyurethane paint that they use for boats. Supposed to be very durable and only requires soap and water for cleaning. No waxing needed! I figure I can get the frame done at a body shop that I deal with. All in, I think I might be looking at about $6000 max for a complete exterior refinish. Opinions? Please remember that this was my father's trailer and he passed it on to me before he passed away. Thanks for listening (reading?)!
Old 07-05-2014, 10:37 AM   #32

Ontario
Hi David... I did a search for roll and tip painting like you suggested, but couldn't find anything that would tell me what it is. Bottom line, I want to have it done at a shop where I can have a guaranteed good finish. I have no experience, and because of the sentimental value of the trailer, I don't want to risk botching it by doing it myself. I just thought of talking to my body shop guy who redid my old car several years back and asked if he works on fiberglass. He said yes he has and asked me to send him some pictures. He plans on using a urethane paint on it, and this will include getting the frame done as well. I'll post back when I hear from him.
Old 07-05-2014, 10:44 AM   #33

Ontario
Hi Rick... see my post above to David. When I had my body shop guy redo my car about 6-8 years ago, he did all the rust work required and then repainted the whole beastie with a urethane paint. I no longer have the car, but at the time, he charged me about $2000. So I'm hoping I can get the whole thing done for $3000 including the frame. I realize that I only use it for camping, but taking into account the sentimental value, and the price that new trailers go for, I think it's worth sinking the money into something I plan on using for at least another 20 years before I pass it on to my kids. I do appreciate your input... Thanks!
Old 07-05-2014, 02:29 PM   #34

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty61 View Post
... I did a search for roll and tip painting like you suggested, but couldn't find anything that would tell me what it is.
Try YouTube.
roll and tip painting - YouTube

lots of info and demo's there.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:46 AM   #35

Ontario
NOW I get it! Thanks David. One small problem though... I have no where indoors that I can put the trailer in to do this... and with the amount of dust and grit floating around in the air around here due to whatever (be it construction, road repair, etc.), it would be impossible to do it outside. At least I know I could paint the door if I had to!
Old 07-07-2014, 04:50 AM   #36

Ontario
FYI, for those of you who are still wondering how my door got in the condition its in, on closer inspection by experienced fiberglass people, they noticed that the matt was still white which indicates that there wasn't enough (or any) resin in that area. They don't know if that was from a repair or originally like that, but that is what they feel caused the blistering and flaking off.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:26 AM   #37

Alberta
Registry
Just a bad door then.
Old 07-09-2014, 04:46 AM   #38

Ontario
Seems so. Hopefully I'll have an answer by the end of the week from my body shop guy (would help if I would remember to send him the pics of the trailer!).
Old 07-11-2014, 04:18 PM   #39

Ontario
Ok, I sent the pictures in a few days ago, and still no answer. However I just had a fiberglass guy leave my house after I spoke to him on the phone today (he was recommended by the marina I have my boat at), and I have a rough estimate of somewhere between $2000-$3000 including repairing the door and refinishing the frame. How does that sound? (might even have it back before our holidays!)

BTW, what do you guys think of Coca-Cola Red with the stripe and front window guard in white?
Old 07-17-2014, 10:21 AM   #40

Alberta
Registry
I understand that red is an expensive color. What is he going to paint the frame with? POR 15 is recommended by many on this site.
Old 07-18-2014, 04:56 AM   #41

Ontario
We're using black on the frame. I believe the paint being used is a 2 part epoxy on the entire trailer. It's being applied after the frame is treated to either wire wheels or sandblasting. And yes, as I discovered again, red is still a premium colour when it comes to price.
Old 07-25-2014, 04:52 AM   #42

Ontario
Got the Trillium back yesterday... Completely repainted and with the door repaired. Have to admit, I am VERY PLEASED with the results! When I have time I will post the pictures elsewhere on the site as I don't believe it is appropriate here.

Note: I am STILL trying to get new hinges. If you know of any that are available in Canada, please tell me. Thanks for your help!

Tags
trillium