Wanted: Escape style front cargo box - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-15-2015, 02:30 PM   #1

Name: Frederick
Trailer: 1974 Perris Valley Pacer
California
Escape style front cargo box

Hi Everyone
I hope you are doing well.

I'm renovating my 1974 Perris Valley Trailer. Woo Hoo! I would like to have a storage box on the front that holds the propane tank and batteries. I like the look of the box on the front of the escape trailers. Does anyone have a used escape box for sale or a resource for something similar?

Thanks!
Fredomatic

Old 02-15-2015, 03:20 PM   #2
GRC

Name: Greg
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II
Washington
I was walking around the marina today and saw a V nose top load box that was almost the width of a trailer and I wondered about using that on a trailer. If I remember correctly Escape equipment boxes have reinforced bottom and back wall with glassed in wood.

Might try searching on a marine triangular deck box or dock box

Dock Box 36 x 21 x 16 New Triangle Deck Box | eBay

Old 02-15-2015, 04:02 PM   #3

California
Greg
Thanks for the lead! This looks like a contender. I will ask about the interior dimensions to be sure everything fits. Good price too.
Thanks
Fred
Old 02-15-2015, 07:13 PM   #4

Name: Mark
Trailer: 1969 Boler (Flat Top)
British Columbia
Registry
Princes Auto in Canada stocks the black version of this box a couple times a year. For considerably cheaper too.
It's to short to fit a standard propane tank though. Just by an inch or two. I think some here may have cut a hole in the bottom to fit the propane "foot" through.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
(#183)
WildBirder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 08:40 PM   #5

California
Thanks Mark
Hmm good to know. I suppose I could use a different size or shape tank but that would get costly. I'll request the interior dimensions and go from there. Too bad if it wont work as it looks like the perfect shape.
Fred
Old 02-15-2015, 11:30 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
The Escape box also has coating of Rhino type bed-liner protector applied to the front side, which actually costs more than the fiberglass box itself.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: http://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 07:03 AM   #7
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
I have a Delta aluminum tongue box on my Boler and a 20 lb propane tank fits inside without cutting. I bought mine at Canadian Tire but this looks like the same version. 33 in. Aluminum Trailer Tongue Boxes-405000D - The Home Depot

Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 01:01 PM   #8

California
Thanks Ian
That looks nice. Does t have enough room for a couple of car batteries? Btw did you extend the tongue on your Boller? It looks longer than the one on the Pacer.
Thanks
Fred

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 02-16-2015, 01:49 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredomatic View Post
Thanks Ian
That looks nice. Does t have enough room for a couple of car batteries? Btw did you extend the tongue on your Boller? It looks longer than the one on the Pacer.
Thanks
Fred
Hi Fred

There would be room but I will not mix a fuel source with an ignition source in the same enclosure, my battery is in a sealed and vented battery box under the right side dinette.

Although I did design and build a new frame for my Boler the frame length and tongue length are identical to the original, just the tongue angle was changed.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 04:33 PM   #10

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I would worry about bashing the box on tight turns or when backing. I don't know for sure but think the Escape has a long enough tongue to prevent this issue. I built a shroud around my batteries and propane bottle and mounted one of the aluminum trailer tongue boxes on top of it to prevent hitting it when backing up or turning tightly.
Old 02-16-2015, 07:11 PM   #11
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
I would worry about bashing the box on tight turns or when backing. I don't know for sure but think the Escape has a long enough tongue to prevent this issue. I built a shroud around my batteries and propane bottle and mounted one of the aluminum trailer tongue boxes on top of it to prevent hitting it when backing up or turning tightly.
Nah, on the Escape 21 when backed at a really tight angle the clasp on the box closure just contacts the tail light lens on my Tacoma. Enough to bust the plastic lens.............

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: http://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 09:13 PM   #12

Name: John Michael
Trailer: Scamp 13
Madison, Wisconsin
I made a homemade tongue box for my Scamp. It is not beautiful but has turned out to work well over 15,000 miles. See it at

Homemade Tongue Storage
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 07:45 AM   #13

Name: Carl
Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
Quebec
Registry
I don't own a FG trailer yet but I've made a front storage box for my current Coleman popup camper using a large marine Igloo cooler. I was looking for some sort of tongue storage box, and when I saw this big cooler at my local Costco, all I saw was my new storage box! The design matches perfectly the front of my camper.

I had to modify the hinges so the lid could be opened without interfering with the camper.
Also, setting up the camper would prevent access to the content due to the bed pulled over it, so I made some sort of 'quick-release' latches that allows me to remove the box from the tongue and put it on the ground just besides it when camping. I takes a second to put it back there, where it locks into place securely. This would not be necessary of course on a travel trailer.
My 20lb propane tank sits in there, securely attached. I had to relocate the gas regulators on the camper, and put a longer hose from the tank to the regulators. I cut a ventilation hole in the bottom on the box.
I use it to store levelling blocks, drain hose, etc.
The box does not interfere in any way with the tow vehicle, even in very sharp turns. It did interfere whit the tongue jack handle. I initially made a smaller one, but eventually I simply removed the handle and replaced it with a 5/8 coupler nut, and now I action the jack with my 18V deWalt drill and a 5/8 socket (which also works for corner stabilizers and cranking up the roof, so I'm done with the manual cranking on this camper!)
I have more pictures if interested.
Old 02-22-2015, 02:53 PM   #14

California
Thanks Everyone for the great feedback. I need to reconsider my ideas for a clean and safe tank and battery storage. I would really like to keep them both outside of the egg and in a clean box if possible. Keeping them separated as well sounds like necessary to be safe.

If holes are drilled in the back of a box to allow propane gasses to escape, do these eventually allow dirt and moisture to accumulate? I imagine so but this can be cleaned out.

We attended the vintage trailer show in Palm Springs yesterday. Almost all the tanks were out front and exposed. I think this is in keeping with the original trailer style and ease of use but reinforces the notion that a box isn't necessary. I still like the thought of a clean box up front that adds a little storage as well. The box ideas provided a good so I'm considering how those might work with my system.

Thanks!
Fred

Tags
escape