Free Free damaged escape hatch and Catalina - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-02-2013, 10:38 AM   #1

Trailer: 13 foot Scamp
Free damaged escape hatch and Catalina

During our 6000 mile trip to the West coast a gust of wind flipped our (like new) awning up and over the top of our 1995 13 foot Scamp. My fault - I did not have the poles staked into the ground because the wind was dead calm. Maybe it had something to do with being near Wind Cave. LOL.

The cover flipped over and hit the open escape hatch and pushed down on it breaking the cheap plastic holder for the inside handle. No other damage to the hatch. The plastic part was not available so I decided to have the entire unit replaced by Scamp. I probably could have made a part myself.

The gust was strong enough to twist the Dometic A&E Catalina base and pop out two screw heads that hold it to the brackets attached to the trailer. It will be an easy fix to put a couple of washers or use larger screws to reattach the frame to the brackets. I have the two brackets which were not damaged. I am pretty sure there was no other damage to the inside, including the sun cover which is like new. I just rolled it back up and finished the last leg of our trip. We rarely used the cover and have the instructions with parts list.

If someone would like the parts they are welcome to them. I would have simply fixed this myself but decided to have a new Fiamma awing installed by Scamp too. They, by the way, did a great job and we love the new awning. I also noticed the new escape hatches have gotten rid of the plastic holder.

I will not ship these parts but if someone lives nearby St. Paul, Minnesota arrangements can be made to look at them if you want them. I live about 25 miles northeast of St. Paul in Stillwater.

You can send me a private message - I think...

I will attach few pictures of the awning and escape hatch.

Regards.

Old 10-02-2013, 10:41 AM   #2

Pictures of parts

The pictures noted above. I don't believe there is any other damage to the hatch or awning. Both were replaced by the factory in June this year.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/m...cture6134.html

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/m...cture6133.html

Old 10-02-2013, 10:48 AM   #3

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Rod, you may want to consider while you have the awning off taking the main brackets off the trailer and resetting them with new butyl tape. I discovered due to someone putting some stress on my awning (dont ask) that the ones on mine were not sealed all that well from the start and the stress/movement created a minor leak. Would think that the flipping over on the roof of the awning would have put a bit of stress on the connection points.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:01 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Rod, you may want to consider while you have the awning off taking the main brackets off the traile and resetting them with new butyl tape. I discovered due to someone putting some stress on my awning (dont ask) that the ones on mine were not sealed all that well from the start and the stress/movement created a minor leak. Would think that the flipping over on the roof of the awning would have put a bit of stress on the connection points.
Thanks for the suggestion but the escape hatch and new awning were already installed by Scamp at the factory in June. They were able to use most of the old holes. The new awning uses all new, heavier duty brackets. Very impressive. No damage was done to the fiberglass - thank goodness.

The new awning is held with 3 brackets instead of two and the crew did a great job of sealing all of the joints. I checked being particular about work quality. It only took them a few hours to do both jobs and I am glad they did it instead of me. It was worth every penny having them do the job. I am happy we live close to the factory.

Well thanks. Got to run and do some work.
Old 10-08-2013, 05:42 AM   #5

Name: Lisa
Trailer: scamp 13 scamp 5th, casita 13
Michigan
Rod,

You have PM blocked or something because i cannot private message you. I am interested in both. Im checking with a friend on proximity to St Paul. Please allow mw to get back to you in the next day - I have to vents that have been trashed by the wind and would be ever so great full evan for a slightly abused awing. I dont know the proper way to get any message to you beyond this.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:13 AM   #6

Name: Lisa
Trailer: scamp 13 scamp 5th, casita 13
Michigan
i have a friend in Hopkins MN it looks pretty close. 37 miles. Maybe I can get her to come do a pick up for me
Old 10-08-2013, 01:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lshelly1061 View Post
i have a friend in Hopkins MN it looks pretty close. 37 miles. Maybe I can get her to come do a pick up for me
I looked at my privacy setting and they were enabled for messages. I changed a few settings so maybe private messages should work now.

I also have an alternative email address of: beerdrooler@yahoo.com

(don't worry I do not drool but do drink and make beer occasionally)

I think it would be a easy drive, mostly highway about 50 miles one way. She will need a vehicle that the 8 foot long awning can fit in or on top of.

Thanks.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:42 AM   #8

These parts are being held for a member now. Thanks everyone for reading. Regards.

Tags
escape