Free Scamp Stuff - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-02-2017, 08:57 AM   #1

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Wisconsin
Free Scamp Stuff

We parted with our 2007 Scamp 16 SD last year and cleaning out the garage found some items that may be of use for others. The first one is a cover for the stove when it is not in use. The plywood structure in the picture was a custom window frame to hold a small 5000 btu AC from Walmart and others. I spent considerable time engineering it just right. Open the window and 4 screws in a sandwich, pop in the AC in about 5 minutes. We used the AC frame a number of times and it worked well. This is how it looked in use from a previous thread.

A/C Window Mount Design for Scamps

We are near Green Bay, WI. PM me if you are interested and coming our way.

Old 07-03-2017, 09:04 AM   #2

Name: Wenonah
Trailer: 13' Scamp
Ohio
air conditioner mod

Dave,

I am interested in your ac mod. I have a 13' scamp, so I don't know if it would work but would love to explore that option.

Old 07-03-2017, 05:59 PM   #3

Wisconsin
There seemed to be considerable interest in the AC rear window mount for Scamps. I purchased a 4x8 sheet of HDPE black plastic to make my own a while back but sold the Scamp. Today I made an outside copy from that plastic using my wood template.

I have enough for maybe 10 of these, not sure the cost. I am not really into making anything for money, mostly to help out other Scamp owners without AC. PM me if you are interested.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:51 AM   #4

Ohio
Scamp mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtec View Post
There seemed to be considerable interest in the AC rear window mount for Scamps. I purchased a 4x8 sheet of HDPE black plastic to make my own a while back but sold the Scamp. Today I made an outside copy from that plastic using my wood template.

I have enough for maybe 10 of these, not sure the cost. I am not really into making anything for money, mostly to help out other Scamp owners without AC. PM me if you are interested.
Dave I would like one of these if at all possible. Please let me know. What I currently have is attached. It is horrible. Dirt blows in when I drive, as well as steel wool and wood chips. I don't know what's in there It really is affecting my enjoyment of the old girl...
Save
Save
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0043.jpg  
Old 07-05-2017, 12:34 PM   #5

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wenonah View Post
Dave I would like one of these if at all possible. Please let me know. What I currently have is attached. It is horrible. Dirt blows in when I drive, as well as steel wool and wood chips. I don't know what's in there It really is affecting my enjoyment of the old girl...
Save
Save
Please understand that what I designed is not a permanent mount, but one that you could throw in the AC when needed and remove it when traveling. It was designed to be installed or removed in minutes. You just slide the screen out of the way and screw it in. It was designed to tightly fit the back window of a typical Scamp with no alterations.
Old 07-05-2017, 01:33 PM   #6

Ohio
scamp mod

Yes, I do understand that and that is why I believe it is perfect. I do not want an AC permanently installed in my Scamp. Usually, it isn't needed.
Old 07-05-2017, 07:41 PM   #7

Trailer: 2003 Bigfoot 17 (15B17CB), 2017 Escape 17B
Wisconsin
Thanks to Dave

Put us down for one of these Dave. Looks like a great solution for our situation. I want to thank you for doing this for the FG community. This is what makes the board so worthwhile.
Tony and Darlene
Old 07-05-2017, 07:48 PM   #8

Name: KAY
Trailer: 1981 SCAMP 13
Missouri
Registry
I really wish I could use this setup but I have the solid plexiglass windows on front and back. This would have been a godsend. Thanks for sharing this.
Old 07-05-2017, 10:05 PM   #9

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Do you have a drawing of the design that you would be willing to share? Can it be made permanent so as to leave the a/c in when traveling?
Old 07-06-2017, 06:38 AM   #10

Wisconsin
Here are plans for the AC mount and also a pic with the HDPE plastic outside. I would not even think about making this a permanent mount. It is made to be taken out before moving the trailer. The AC rectangle is 16 1/8" wide x 12 1/4" high.

Feel free to make one yourself but follow the plans exactly or it will not fit. There is very little tolerance if any. It takes a bit of time and getting the materials is a pain unless you have chunks of plywood or plastic laying around. I am going to use up my materials and should have enough for about 10.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0422.jpg   IMG_0415.jpg  

IMG_0413.jpg  
Old 07-06-2017, 06:26 PM   #11

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Dave, are you making up to 10 of these to sell, or just the black plastic outer cover? I am very interested in purchasing one of these for a new Scamp 16 we have on order. I just sold our 13' and had a roof mount A/C. I was just able to squeeze it in the garage. The 16's sit a little taller, and we ordered it without A/C with the thought of doing the rear window mod like your's. This would be a big time saver, as far as the engineering involved. It appears your's is well thought out. Are the little room size A/C units standardized as far as the opening size required? If you are taking orders, please count me in!

Thank you!

TomK
Old 07-11-2017, 03:47 PM   #12

Wisconsin
Well one thing lead to another and I wanted to get rid of the material I bought for my Scamp AC mount, and some of you hoped to get a finished one, so I just made up as many as I could. I have 8 completed and pretty much ready to ship. These should fit any window AC that is 16" wide x 12 inches high, like the following from Amazon, pretty much the same one I purchased at Walmart a few years back:

https://www.amazon.com/Frigidaire-FF.../dp/B00W2KG92Y

To install just remove the screws from the wood side, open the back window all the way, slide the screen as far to the left side looking out as possible. You then just feed through the plastic side frame and reapply the plywood side. I used short screws so if they strip out eventually you can go deeper or just find new locations. I always used a cordless drill or driver, a lot faster.

A couple things I am unsure of is how the black plastic will hold up. The whole idea was to make it so it could take rain and for looks, but I never used one with the plastic. Another is how standard is the back window in Scamps as mine was a 2007 model that I designed this for? Not sure the pre-fire ones were the same size so maybe we should verify that?

When using I also remember drilling a small hole on the lowest part of the AC unit to drain the water they use for efficiency, and corking it with a rubber stopper in use, draining before removing. When you go to remove it you could get bed wet. I would still throw down a tarp just in case. The opening is tight and you have to work it in to place leaving it slope down a little for the water. It may help to have two people work it in but I always did it by myself. I did use tape around the top and outside during rain and some foam weatherstrip would help to fill gaps.

Making these is a bit of a pain as they eat up a lot of material and you have to do many different operations, so they are not cheap to assemble. With that I looked into shipping which is also pricey. If you would like one the cost is $60 if you can pick up in Sturgeon Bay, WI, and $75 if you would like it shipped. Or feel free to make one yourself from the plans once these are gone. PM me for my address to send a check with your shipping address and I will ship out within the week of getting it. Any problems with it fitting or whatever, I will take care of. I am honest to a fault and have a good reputation.

Anyway, when we owned our Scamp this design served us well. I really only hope to help some of you Scamp owners enjoy camping in the hot humid stuff the few times a year that happens.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0427.jpg   IMG_0428.jpg  

IMG_0431.jpg  
Old 07-16-2017, 10:36 AM   #13

Name: Julie
Trailer: Scamp
Florida
Have any left for purchase?

Hi! If you have any left, I would be interested in purchasing. Thank you.
Julie
Old 07-17-2017, 08:44 PM   #14
AKS

Name: Amanda
Trailer: 1977 Boler '13
Tennessee
Would this work in a Boler 13? I'm dying for a better and temporary solution than my current one. Are any left?

Tags
scamp