Wanted: Front Bunk (board) for 84' CT-13 Uhaul - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-30-2011, 09:19 PM   #1

Name: Mike
Trailer: Newby CT-13, 84' U-Haul Owner
Wisconsin
Registry
Front Bunk (board) for 84' CT-13 Uhaul

I am looking for the bunk board that forms the front bunk in the front of my Uhaul. It has a hinge that connects it to the front wall and side hinges that allow it to fold in at the sides. Wondering if anyone has knowledge of where I may find this type of item? Mine was missing when I bought it. Thanks for any help in advance!

Old 10-15-2011, 12:08 AM   #2

Name: don
Trailer: 1985 U-Haul CT-13
Florida
Registry
I need the same thing!

Mike
If you find one, and I hope you do, tell them you know of another guy that needs one as well! My 85 CT13 came without the front sofa seat back, the long hinge that attached that missing seat back to the front support and the two posts. The previous owner had made a long cushion to fit behind the sofa seat that is funtional but I really would like to put the bunk bed back in as it is perfect for the little ones. I know one could be fabricated, as depicted in the manual, if one could find a source for that long piano hinge that has a angle bent into the length of it. If you do decide to fabricate this front bunk there is a thread about it on the other U-Haul site, I recall, but I don't have the link just now.

I am also missing the original rear table but the plywood works OK as I mostly leave the bed set up. However, if I could find an original table... "Sometimes the hunt is better than the catch" Happy CTing, don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
I am looking for the bunk board that forms the front bunk in the front of my Uhaul. It has a hinge that connects it to the front wall and side hinges that allow it to fold in at the sides. Wondering if anyone has knowledge of where I may find this type of item? Mine was missing when I bought it. Thanks for any help in advance!

Old 10-15-2011, 06:15 AM   #3

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul / 02 Mazda pick up
The original metal posts that hold up the bunk were kind of wimpy.

I replaced mine with a heavier stainless steel tubing. I weigh 200 pounds and sleep safely there now.

Also ---- I discovered that these tubes will bounce out of the retainer cups and collapse the bunk if the bunk is left in the up position while under way. Since the cups already have holes in them, I put 1/2 inch bolts in them with the thread facing up. These bolts extend up into the tubes and prevent them from jumping out of the shallow cups. Now, even extreme bumps will not dislodge the tubes. The bolts are not so long as to prevent lowering the bunk if desired.
Old 10-15-2011, 07:29 AM   #4

Name: Edward
Trailer: 83 Burro
Michigan
Mike,
I took mine out of my 83 Burro and may still have it in my garage. UHaul campers were made by Burro-. It is in near perfect condition and I'm pretty sure I still have it. If it's there it's yours; just pay the freight. I will check later on today and get back to you. Ed in Michigan.
Old 10-15-2011, 07:31 AM   #5

Michigan
Mike--I just re-read your post; mine doesn't have side hinges; I will take a photograph and post it for you. Let me know if it will work just the same. Ed
Old 10-15-2011, 04:12 PM   #6

Wisconsin
Registry
I'm definitely interested. Thank you!
Old 10-16-2011, 06:09 AM   #7

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Registry
Mike,

Burro did not make Uhauls. Uhauls were made in Dayton by Coleman, as I understand. If you google Uhaul campers, you will eventually find the history as outlined by Ray Horner. There is also a history here: History.

CindyL
Old 10-16-2011, 09:32 AM   #8

Wisconsin
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
Mike,

Burro did not make Uhauls. Uhauls were made in Dayton by Coleman, as I understand. If you google Uhaul campers, you will eventually find the history as outlined by Ray Horner. There is also a history here: History.

CindyL

Yup, I know. You're right. But I've been in Burros and they're very similar. My friend has one. And seeing his is the reason I bought mine. My Uhaul still has the original 'born on date' sticker on the inside cabinet.....I thought that even if the parts didn't fit perfectly it gets me further than where I am right now. (Which is empty handed.) If they don't fit at all I'll make them available to another member, but I think modifying and making it custom to fit your needs is sometimes half the fun! Thanks for the reminder though. I'm sure it will help others who read this thread
Old 10-16-2011, 02:19 PM   #9

Illinois
Registry
Mike,

I agree. Our first camper was a Burro. When we saw the Uhaul VT online, it was perfect. A camper like our Burro but bigger.

CindyL
Old 10-19-2011, 12:45 PM   #10

Michigan
Mike I found the Bunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
Yup, I know. You're right. But I've been in Burros and they're very similar. My friend has one. And seeing his is the reason I bought mine. My Uhaul still has the original 'born on date' sticker on the inside cabinet.....I thought that even if the parts didn't fit perfectly it gets me further than where I am right now. (Which is empty handed.) If they don't fit at all I'll make them available to another member, but I think modifying and making it custom to fit your needs is sometimes half the fun! Thanks for the reminder though. I'm sure it will help others who read this thread
Mike I found the bunk and took pictures, but haven't figured out how to post them in a private message. Check your PM. Ed
Old 10-20-2011, 08:34 PM   #11

Florida
Registry
Link to bunk bed

I hope this link works below. It was was made by Bridget for which I give THANKS INDEED! It is for Mike and others that might want to replace
their missing bunk bed, like I do. The only tough thing
to find might that special long piano hinge that has the offset. With her
magnificent photos, measurements and making your own cardboard template for the best final bunk size it should be a nice little project. I have other priorites to restore before I get to this one but will try and report back once I've tackled this one.

'Sometimes the hunt is better than the catch'
don 85 ct13

UHaulCamper.com • View topic - Bunk Bed Wanted- or how to build?
Old 10-20-2011, 09:57 PM   #12

Illinois
Registry
Just in case people don't have access to uhaulcamper.com, Bridget posted her stuff here too: Parts of Bunk Bed in CT-13 Uhaul

I wonder what happened to Bridget. Hopefully, she got her CT finished and is busy camping. She posted such useful information both here and on uhaulcamper.com.

CindyL
Old 10-21-2011, 02:31 PM   #13

Florida
Registry
Bunk bed template

She is THANKFULLY still around and graciously sent me a PDF file which is the template for the actual bunk bed. I have not tried to print it out yet as it has to be taken to a special oversize printing shop for the 100 percent scale but it sure looks good so far! Now to find that hinge and make this replica... I like what Bud Kennedy suggested and did on his new stronger support legs so I´ll
try that, make the cushion, and then it´s back to the bunk bed configuration!

don 85 CT-13
´sometimes the hunt is better than the catch´

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
Just in case people don't have access to uhaulcamper.com, Bridget posted her stuff here too: Parts of Bunk Bed in CT-13 Uhaul

I wonder what happened to Bridget. Hopefully, she got her CT finished and is busy camping. She posted such useful information both here and on uhaulcamper.com.

CindyL
Old 07-06-2012, 06:13 PM   #14

Name: Faris
Trailer: U Haul
Arkansas
Hi i would love to see those also. mine is missing the bunk and would like to no how to make it.
thanks in advance Faris

Tags
uhaul