In search of scamp 5th wheel hitch - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-22-2019, 09:52 AM   #1

Name: johnm
Trailer: scamp
Florida
ISO hitch for Scamp 5th wheel.

Hi we just bought ourselves a 1999 scamp 5th wheeler but need a hitch for it. Does anyone have either the old or new style hitch they'd be willing to sell or know of where I can get one for cheaper than ordering from scamp?

Also has anyone purchased any other hitch besides the one designed for Scamps? We went to a shop and they said there was nothing they could do for us since we drive a smaller truck. We're towing with a Mazda b400 (basically a ford ranger). Thanks

Old 02-23-2019, 10:29 AM   #2

Name: ROBERT
Trailer: SCAMP 19' 5TH WHEEL
Florida
5th wheel hitch

John I have the old style hitch provided by Scamp. It is a very simple hitch that can be reproduced by a good welder. I live in New Port Richey Fl and you could come take measurements and have one priced out by a welder.
Bob

Old 02-23-2019, 04:54 PM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: Hymer Touring GT
Loon Lake Wa. and Boulder City, Nv.
Registry
When I had my scamp 19 I bought a used Reece 5th wheel hitch and converted it. Take the part that toggles off, put a heavy metal plate across the top, install a ball and voila you've got a great hitch.
I got the idea from some posts on here years ago. I used it for several years with no problems.
I bought the used Reece hitch with rails for approximately $100 and had the fabrication including the heavy metal plate and wielding and drilling done for about $75.
You will need to install the rails in your truck but that's not all that difficult.

Tags
scamp