Looking for awning for 13' scamp - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-16-2015, 09:36 AM   #1

Name: Alan
Trailer: 2000 17' Casita Freedom Deluxe...Tow vehicle 2015 Toyota Tacoma Dble Cab V6 Prerunner
California
Looking for awning for 13' scamp

Anyone have an awning that would fit a 13' scamp that they are considering getting rid of ( selling/trade or whatever)
I'm located in so calif
Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV

Old 10-16-2015, 11:20 AM   #2

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
If you don't find a used one....
Marti's Vintage Trailer Awnings there is also Vintage Trailer Supply as a possible source.

You can buy awning "C" track if you don't have it already. Bag awnings have also been used by some with the track.

We added a track, then just used little slides made from aluminum tube and para cord to attach a regular nylon tarp with poles for an awning. Might get a more decorative awning like one from Marti at some point. Do like the large 10x12 area that we get with the current nylon tarp however.

Old 10-16-2015, 12:15 PM   #3

Trailer: 2000 17' Casita Freedom Deluxe...Tow vehicle 2015 Toyota Tacoma Dble Cab V6 Prerunner
California
Thankd
First I've heard of marty's
I will keep that in mind

Old 10-16-2015, 05:21 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We tried a rope & pole awning and didn't like it. Sold it at a loss and bought a bag awning for our Uhaul. About $200 from Shademaker. Only issues is it has the twist lock poles and water gets in the bag when the awning is rolled up.
Old 10-17-2015, 12:28 PM   #5

Name: Marilyn
Trailer: 13 ft 2005 Scamp Deluxe; 2002 Subaru V6 Outback
Oregon
am looking to replace my 13 ft scamp Catalina 2500 awning next spring. It's in good condition, but a bit difficult for me to set up/take down by myself.
Old 10-17-2015, 01:24 PM   #6

California
I m not familiar with a catalina 2500 awning..... Is that a bag awning/ rope pull awning or a fixed mount ?

Why do you have a difficult with it ?
Also are you considering selling it
My wife and i are planning in a trip to Seattle to visit our son... If your thinking of selling it before next spring maybe we cant figure something out

Old 10-17-2015, 05:50 PM   #7

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
I don't have one myself but you might want to consider a Shady Boy Awning.
Light weight, strong and pretty easy to set up (so I hear).
Old 10-17-2015, 08:11 PM   #8

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
The Catalina 2500 is a very good awning, especially the 8footer on a 13 foot trailer.
I have met many people who were frustrated with it, but after ten minutes of good training they almost always learn to love it.

The Fiama which is used now on Scamps is easy to operate without training or practice, but it costs twice as much and is more fragile. Sadly the Catalina 2500 is no longer in production.

Here is what it looks like deployed and stowed...
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0034.JPG   WB40023.jpg  

Old 10-17-2015, 08:54 PM   #9

Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Well Floyd, we could use that 10 minute training. The PO of our Casita said it took him a couple hours to get it rolled back in. What we did find is that reading and following the directions really helped. Met a lady with a Scamp at Huntington Beach last year that said you made the slots near the center larger to make it easier to open it.
Old 10-17-2015, 09:26 PM   #10

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Well Floyd, we could use that 10 minute training. The PO of our Casita said it took him a couple hours to get it rolled back in. What we did find is that reading and following the directions really helped. Met a lady with a Scamp at Huntington Beach last year that said you made the slots near the center larger to make it easier to open it.
You know I just can't leave anything stock!
Yes I did enlarge the slots where the knobs are exposed (about 3/4") because the awning can move a little side to side on its rail which can catch the edge of the knob within that tolerance. The real key is to properly place the legs on the ground equal distance from the trailer (about 2ft+-) to deploy. Then do the same to retract, making sure that the legs are equal distant from the trailer and equal length so that the top of the arch is about even with the bottom of the case opening.
Like a window shade, the awning must retract evenly across the width.
Those little slots in the case are essential for proper alignment and you should NEVER pry outward on the legs, they must be allowed to drop straight down.
It sounds complex, but imagine trying to tell someone how to walk or ride a bike!
Old 10-18-2015, 08:01 AM   #11

New York
Our Casita has the brackets near the bottom where the awning legs can attach. I believe the directions say to put the legs in there to open it. Does this sound right, have to read them again as we haven't opened the awning in almost a year after closing it in March. I prefer the legs to be on the ground when finally set up. Are parts available for these awnings? One of the "T" shaped pieces that fits in the cover to hold it shut is broken. It's obvious that this awning has had some abuse by a PO. Mary believes that it works best to roll the awning straight out rather than pull down, is that what we should be doing.
Old 10-18-2015, 02:12 PM   #12

Name: Marilyn
Trailer: 13 ft 2005 Scamp Deluxe; 2002 Subaru V6 Outback
Oregon
Floyd, when are you coming to Oregon? I could use a lesson! Faithfully follow instructions, but !*!! in trying to put awing back into case.
Old 10-18-2015, 02:39 PM   #13

Name: Cathi
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Nova Scotia
Scamp videos, including one for the awning

Scamp has some great videos...I used the awning video to learn how to use the awning on my 2004 Scamp 13. Hope this helps!
http://www.scamptrailers.com/helpful-videos.html
Old 10-19-2015, 04:14 PM   #14

Name: Doug
Trailer: Scamp 16 ft.
Missouri
The Fiama F45 is a great crank out awning, but pricey. At $950.00 it will turn off a lot of readers here. We had installed free at the factory no just love it. The first awning ever that Scamp has put on that works well.

Tags
awning, scamp