Wanted: Need Scamp Closet Door - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-18-2015, 12:15 PM   #15
Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
I replaced all my doors with 1/2" birch faced plywood and urethaned it. I square cut the edges and it looks a lot better and is lighter than the old doors. Pictures are available under Modifications/Preparing a 1991 Scamp

Norm and Ginny

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 12:52 PM   #16
Name: Frederick / Janis
Trailer: Previously Scamp 13 2002,2016. Scamp 16 on order
Yes. A 13' standard only takes half a sheet of hardwoord plywood. If you wish to use the other half on the hatch covers, that'd be fine too I suppose.

When we got our 2002, most of the hatch covers and doors were badly swelled, a few corners were starting to crumble and the wardrobe door was abused with various perforations from the PO.

1/2" oak plywood and some layout, table saw, light sanding, urethane. Fairly straightforward project and the buyers of that 2002 saw it as premium upgrade and were delighted in it.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF1697.jpg   DSCF1698.jpg  

DSCF1699.jpg   DSCF1694.jpg  

bpfick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 08:27 AM   #17
Name: Wendy
Trailer: Scamp
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I've dealt with old stuff my entire life So, depending on your expectations (and some aren't happy unless everything perfectly matches), make your new door obvious! Like you did it on purpose:

Move the top door down to the bottom.

Buy/find/make a picture frame door, paint it purple(!) and put a favorite picture in the frame.

Cut a piece of wood to size, cover with batting for a pin cushion, wrap in contrasting upholstery fabric. Use this door to hang notes, pictures, etc.

You get the idea... have fun with it!
I love your idea!!
SactoWendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 05:34 PM   #18
Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 16
I went to Home Depot and bought a 4x8 sheet of 1/2" oak plywood. Had them cut it and now I've got a winter project. Thanks everyone for the suggestions!
SteveZimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 06:24 PM   #19
Name: Tom
Trailer: 13' Scamp 2003
Good move Jon.

As for finishing, the water based polyurethane is very forgiving and easy to work with. I used oil based on my replacement table, because it is more durable. It took three coats with 36 hours between to dry. It has been about two weeks and it still smells inside the trailer. So the oil base is much more of a time commitment.

Now I am working on a gas line for a heater install. I will post photos and diy info when I am done with everything.

Good luck with your project.

tweistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 06:10 AM   #20
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 Std
Need Scamp Closet Door

Originally Posted by tweistar View Post
Good move Jon...Good luck with your project.
Tom, I think you misunderstood… I am not redoing my cabinet doors with real wood, not now at any rate. Not enough time these days, and no decent place to work.

I actually sent you the PM inquiring whether the original door under the front sofa might also be available, since I saw you kindly offered your old closet door to the OP. I also want to cut a second door in the lower closet of my Scamp, and, Donna's excellent suggestion notwithstanding, I'd like all the cabinets to match. The smaller door will be large enough for the opening I plan.

Best wishes with your project!

Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote