Pattern for recovering 2010 scamp cushions - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-31-2016, 06:58 AM   #1

Name: debbie
Trailer: 2010 13' Scamp
North Carolina
Pattern for recovering 2010 scamp cushions

We recently purchased a showroom condition 13' Scamp with the bunk set up in the front. I want to make it "cute" and was wondering if anyone has any patterns for recovering the cushions in the trailer??? I bought this as a weekender to take grandkids to places and to use as a BACKYARD camper. We are also acquiring a Casita travel trailer and look forward to getting involved in some fun things so we can share some quality time together and have the opportunity to meet new friends. We are totally new to all this!!!

Old 08-31-2016, 09:48 AM   #2

Name: Dave and Bonnie
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Debbie
I believe a usual way to replace cushions is to use existing ones to create a pattern, and replace both the foam inside and the material. Lots of fabric stores have indoor outdoor fabric and they are on sale now as its the end of the season. If you look on craiglist or ask on fibreglass rv there may be excellent "sewing" persons who can help you.

Old 08-31-2016, 09:59 AM   #3

Name: Larry
Trailer: Toyota Dolphin
Montana
Recovering Cushions

As noted, use the older cushions as patterns. Having reupholstered an indoor chair, an old VW Camper van, and two car seats, carefully remove the seam stitching. Lay out the pieces, positioning those that might be torn or stretched. You can often find either memory foam or standard foam from local mattress stores, especially those that make them in their store. Many will give you free pieces. I've rebuilt car seats with these pieces; usefulness depends upon the size of the cushion. Also, the best material to place between the foam and the upholstery is wool. It breathes. You can find wool blankets to use as batting at army surplus stores or stores specializing in wool products. Just place it between the foam and upholstery. If zippers are difficult, consider velcro strips as closures. Get a strong thread at a fabric store, so long as it will work in your sewing machine.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-31-2016, 10:04 AM   #4

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
California
If you have like new cushions there is no need to replace the.cushion. I made essentially slip covers for.the cushions in my Casita for the.same reason, grandkids!
Simply trace the cushion and add a.half inch for the seam allowance. I made.mine in cotton and did not.put zippers.in. on.the.back side of the cushion I made the.cover four inches larger and simply fold the.excess.and.put the cushion in place. I don't know if you are a sewist but think it is a doable project for a beginner.
They work great.and I made mine of heavy cotton so if they get dirty they go into the laundry.
I traced my pattern on Brown paper I go in a roll at at home depot.
Old 08-31-2016, 10:16 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 Std
Arizona
Registry
Since the old cushions are only 6 years old, it doesn't make sense in my mind to disassemble the covers to make a pattern. Nor would new foam be required unless a different thickness or density is desired.

Since it's all flat pieces, I think you could use the old covers to create a pattern without taking them apart.

Only thing I know from very limited experience sewing cushion covers is to make them a bit small so they fit tightly.

Last thought... There are lots of easier ways to brighten up the (admittedly plain, but sturdy and, by your statement, in excellent condition) Scamp upholstery with pillows, throws, and accessories.
Old 08-31-2016, 10:26 AM   #6

Name: Kathleen
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Washington
Registry
Whatever fabric you use, if you intend to wash it later, be sure to wash and dry it before you cut it.

I did all my '73 amerigo upholstery as elastic-on slipcovers; like fitted sheets. Easy on, easy off, easy on again. A bit looser than normal upholstery, but plenty smooth enough. Even the seat covers are the same, like very small fitted sheets.

Making it cute is important, I agree completely!

BEST luck with your project!
Old 08-31-2016, 10:39 PM   #7

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
If you want to make a pattern from the current covers without ripping out the stitching, trace around the cushion and add seam allowance or turn the cover inside out to outline the edges including the seam allowance. For the side band, simply measure the height and length, add seam allowance. Note how long the zipper is and how the band is pieced. An experienced seamer will know how to do all this. Most home sewing machines are not strong enough to sew the heavier fabrics used for cushions. You might consider hiring the person who does alterations at your local cleaners as their machines are usually industrial weight.

Jon in AZ said "Last thought... There are lots of easier ways to brighten up the (admittedly plain, but sturdy and, by your statement, in excellent condition) Scamp upholstery with pillows, throws, and accessories. "

Attached are some photos of my various trailer interiors. My original cushions are a neutral color of "breen" (brown and green). To vary the look and to protect the cushions I place fleece throws or blankets over them.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 08:35 PM   #8

Name: Norma J
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Michigan
Depending on your sewing skills you can jazz up the cushions by making a pattern from them to make new covers...you could also make "pillowcases" for each cushion that slips on easily. All straight seams. Button ends, ties or velcro to fasten the open end. Have fun!
Old 09-03-2016, 08:07 PM   #9

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Oops! Here are some photos.
Attached Thumbnails
SCAMP Southwest Decor 2013 006.jpg   Lindsey's Bridal Shower Aug. 2015 & SCAMP 029.jpg  

Doug's art and Scamp 032.jpg  
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 03:48 PM   #10

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
You might want to check with Scamp directly, they sell the covers.
Carpet & Fabric

Last I heard they were very reasonable.
At one time they used to do custom fabrics.
Old 09-06-2016, 07:10 AM   #11

Arizona
Registry
Pattern for recovering 2010 scamp cushions

Roy, if I read the original post correctly, the current Scamp upholstery is in "showroom" condition. The OP is wanting to make new covers to make the trailer "cute."

Myself, I'm lazy. I'd paint the cabinet doors and hardware, toss in some bright pillows, lay out a throw rug, make curtains, put a bright graphic on the fridge, etc. before I'd make all new cushion covers.

But if it's what you really want, it's not that hard, just time-consuming (and potentially expensive, depending on the fabric). I recovered the cushions on a Danish platform chair (2 cushions... the Scamp has 9!). Use the foam to make a pattern. Take off a quarter inch or so all around (to make it tight), add a half inch seam allowance, and find a heavy-duty machine with an upholstery foot and needle. The zipper is installed in one of the side panels before you assemble the cover.

Slipcovers, leaving the original upholstery in place, are another option, as mentioned. Easier to make and clean, but they are usually somewhat loose fitting (i.e., wrinkly).

Whatever you decide, Debbie, I hope you'll post some pictures. Your grandkids will love the Scamp! It's got "cute" genes...
Old 09-06-2016, 08:00 AM   #12

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
At one time they used to do custom fabrics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
The OP is wanting to make new covers to make the trailer "cute."
I hear you Jon,
My post was twofold:
1. It might be worth the call for the OP
2. Information for others searching the site at a later date.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:15 AM   #13

Arizona
Registry
Ah, got it, Roy. Thanks for the clarification. I had heard that Scamp will do a custom sized cushion using their stock fabrics (such as you might need to do a front dinette conversion, for example). But I had never heard they would do covers using a customer-supplied fabric. I'd be interested to hear the response from Scamp.
Old 09-06-2016, 09:33 AM   #14

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Have redone the covers on a couple of trailers as well as some items in my home.

You can simple use the foam as your pattern. As others have suggested using large rolls of brown paper wrap to trace the foam out allowing for seam allowance works well.

How much material you will need will depend greatly on whether or not there is a pattern on the material. For example if you are going to have to match up strips etc you are going to need more material. Personally try to avoid doing that. Working with large slip covers and long long zippers can be challenging enough without worrying about matching it all up.

Interior designers more frequently than not will also suggest you go with a solid fabric anyways and simple dress/jazz it up with pillows & curtains with lots of pattern that are much easier and cheaper to make. That way in a few years if you decide you no longer like the pattern you can easily change them out.

If you plan to do a edge trim you can make it yourself out of the same material so you will need to allow for additional material for that and buy the cording on a big roll but be warned there are miles and miles of trim on the edges of the original covers and you will be spending a good day or two just cutting out and making enough matching edge cording.

Look for a shop that sells home decorating fabrics. They will usually sell zippers on a roll that they will cut to the lengths you need and have all the little parts you will need to put them together - i.e. install the stoppers etc Its not hard to do. I measured all the zippers on my scamps cushions and actually added a bit of length to a couple of them to make it easier to get them on and off.

When picking a material look for fabrics that are actually designed for upholstery and home decorating. The indoor outdoor materials such as Sunbrella also work but I have found for seating that they do tend to sag/stretch out a bit more than what I would like. Upholstery fabrics are heavier (so keep lots of fresh sharp needles handy) and will have very little and often no cotton content. You want something that will stand up to the wear that seats are subject to.

Cotton does not stand up will - it fades with wear and sun so you should not expect it to last for long and still look fresh and new. Not to mention cotton will absorb moisture - something you DO NOT want in a trailer.

Its a big job & time consuming to do the cushions well, so its not something you are going to want to do over and over again. Trust me you will be asking yourself more than once "what was I thinking" ;-)

Look for a fabric that can be washed - most upholstery materials will not do well on a regular wash and few will go in the dryer. But many of them can be washed on a cold hand wash cycle and hung to dry. Talk to the sales staff about the content of each to make sure it can withstand a hand cold water wash once a year or so. The good news is if you get a good quality material that does not absorb moisture and smells, you will not be needing to wash them very often.

When using a good quality home decorating fabric you do not wash the fabric first. Best to sew it as is so it retains its sharpness and shape and any stain resistance it may have on it. Due to the lack of cotton you do not need to worry about it shrinking.

A word of warning. Good quality upholstery material that will withstand the test of wear and tear is not cheap. Once you add up the materials, rolls of thread, needles, cording and zippers (days of your time not included) you are going to be paying far more than what you can purchase the pre made ones from Scamp for. Scamp's seamstress is purchasing everything in bulk so they are not paying what you and I would for all that is needed.

Scamp also uses or at least they use to, a very thin plastic covering over their foam cushions. You will want to save that as it is hard to purchase the same thickness of plastic they use and its already made to fit the foam. You will need that plastic on the foam to get the covers back on the foam nice and snug fitting, not to mention it helps to keep the foam nice and clean (does not absorb any moisture that may get spilled on them).

But once you have have taken the time to do it well, you will be happy you did, as it will be uniquely yours and stand up to time.

Salerite has some great very detailed step by step Youtube Videos on how to make a Boxed cushion.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eco, scamp