Wanted: Radius Small Crank Out Window - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-08-2013, 02:13 PM   #1

Name: Al
Trailer: 84 Scamp 13'
Virginia
Radius Small Crank Out Window

Hi,

I have a 1984 13' Scamp and I'm in the process of replacing the kitchenette window. Mine is missing a clamp ring and the PO drilled into the outside border to attach multiple rivets, so I prefer to replace the window.

It's the same style as the one shown in the following thread:
SOLD - Small Crank Window

Please let me know if you have one to sell or giveaway.

Thanks,
Al

Old 10-08-2013, 02:38 PM   #2

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Virginia
Al
On the early model Scamps with the black Hehr radius windows Scamp used rivets to attach the windows to the shell. I have a 85 with the black radius windows and they are installed with rivets. I think this is how they were installed prior to rat fur.
The smaller Hehr windows from Scamp are fairly inexpensive. I'm not sure but with an ensolite liner the wall may not be thick enough for clamp ring to hold properly.
I also have a 98 Casita that Casita used the clamp ring and the windows are also pop riveted in.
Eddie

Old 10-08-2013, 03:09 PM   #3

Virginia
Thanks Eddie. I appreciate the response and it adds some insight on what I may be dealing with. I thought the rivets looked odd because the holes weren't lined up very well. My rear dinette windows also have rivets on the outside but they include a clamp ring on the inside, which has screws attaching it to the main window, so the external rivets seem unnecessary. I took this to mean that the PO started riveting the exterior of all of the windows in an effort to get rid of leaks.

The interior kitchenette window had a bunch of silicone where the trim ring would normally go. The silicone looks relatively new so I figure there had to be some sort of clamp ring that went there before. (Perhaps the clamp ring is all I need).

Curious to see other experiences with rivets and older radius windows.

Thanks,
Al
Old 10-08-2013, 03:56 PM   #4

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Virginia
Al
In my 85 5er. The rear window is a rubber gasket mount. The small hinge bath window like yours is mounted with pop rivets. The inside has no ring and is held in on the inside with calk or silicone. Never really noticed it before and did not have any leak issues. The rest of the windows have pop rivets outside and trim rings with screws on the inside.
I have noticed these top hinged bath windows tend to hold water in the bottom of the frame. You really have to keep an eye on the seal on these windows. I keep up with cleaning and a little silicone lube on the seal.
On my newer trailer (rat fur), I'm pretty sure the top hinge bath window has an inside trim ring.
Eddie
Old 10-08-2013, 08:49 PM   #5

Virginia
Thanks again Eddie. Your description exactly matches my window configuration. I guess i didn't realize that it was working as designed and that they used rivets even when they didn't appear necessary. This information is extremely helpful.

My small window pools water as you describe which is the main reason I removed it. I plan on removing the glass pane and resealing it. I'll work on restoring this one but am still interested if others have a later model of this window with a clamp ring they're looking to get rid of.

Thanks again,
Al