Scamp 5th Wheel Factory Hitch - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-17-2019, 01:36 PM   #1

Name: Arthur
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 5th Wheel
New Hampshire
Scamp 5th Wheel Factory Hitch

I am selling my Scamp Factory 5th wheel hitch (the new type) because I have made my own for a number reasons including space. It is 2 years old and is complete except for the rails that cost $60 shipped on Amazon. Just $290 plus you pay the actual shipping costs. If you need one this is a way to save $300. Ready any time.

Old 01-17-2019, 11:22 PM   #2

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurBNH View Post
I am selling my Scamp Factory 5th wheel hitch (the new type) because I have made my own for a number reasons including space. ...
I am hoping to replace my 5th wheel Reese hitch some day. My reason is the weight, I am slowly getting tired of lifting the thing into the bed of the truck. I have some ideas and I would like to compare notes. Do you have a picture of your replacement? Could you post it? Thanks.

Old 01-18-2019, 05:22 AM   #3

New Hampshire
Hitch design

I don't have it fully drawn out yet but have reviewed it with my welder.

I am going to use a standard Curt Gooseneck Bent Plate and weld a 3 x 3 square tube 11 inches high to it covering the ball and brace it at a 45 side to side and front to back. On the top I will weld a plate and place the 2" ball. It will be pretty simple and come in at about 50 lbs and take up very little room.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:34 AM   #4

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
Colorado
I like your idea of using the available goose neck hitch parts and modifying them.

I am hoping to get the weight somewhere under 30 lbs. My front and back bed rails are already tied to each other with two flat pieces of steel, front to back. A rectangular plate at the top will support the ball, then four tubes will be cut at about 45 degrees and welded to its underside. Each tube will have a "foot" plate that will allow this whole thing to be bolted to the rails. Bolting it down will definitely eliminate any rattle, and it will be only four 1/2 inch bolts that need to be dealt with. I have it modeled in Autodesk Inventor. I'll have to revive the project, now that we are winterized, I have not been thinking about it much.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:32 PM   #5

New Hampshire
Weight question

We are doing much the same thing,

The plate from Curt weighs about 35+ pounds and with another 10 lgs or less of steel it should be under 45 +- lbs.

I may remove the existing ball to reduce weight by a couple of pounds.

I have never had a rattle issue with the stock hitch so I don't expect much with this.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:57 PM   #6
GOB

Name: Michael
Trailer: Scamp 19
Missouri
Scamp 5th wheel hiitch

I am interested in your hitch S I have the old style. PM me please.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:15 PM   #7

New Hampshire
Hitch

I sent you my phone number

Tags
scamp