Wanted: Scamp banana cushion & top bunk cushion - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-27-2015, 03:53 PM   #1

Name: Bill & Robin
Trailer: Scamp 16
North Carolina
Scamp banana cushion & top bunk cushion

I have a 1989 16' Scamp that does not have the front banana cushion or the top bunk cushion. I have purchased foam to make these but am hoping someone has some old ones I can use for a correct pattern. I'm in NC.

Old 02-27-2015, 04:06 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Scamp banana cushion & top bunk cushion

Banana cushion is 4" foam, just like the others. The top bunk is normally 3" foam on top of the 3-piece plywood base (cover goes over all). That's how it is from the factory, anyway. Is that what you have in mind?

Old 02-27-2015, 04:31 PM   #3

Name: Norm and Ginny
Florida
I suspect you can find a banana cushion to copy from some one local owner . However the banana cushion is easy to make. Since the cushion fits in the space between the bottom cushion and back wall it should be easy to make a pattern.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 06:31 PM   #4

North Carolina
I've not been in any other scamps so I haven't seen the front top bunk or Banana cushions. I'm sure they would both be pretty easy to make. I just figured If I had some old ones to go by it would be a lot better. I attempted to purchase both of these from the factory but the only way they will ship even without the plywood is by truck freight and that gets a little pricey.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:38 PM   #5

Florida
If you're not in a rush, I can make you a pattern of the cushions and plywood back when I get home in April.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-27-2015, 06:48 PM   #6

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
If you're not in a rush, I can make you a pattern of the cushions and plywood back when I get home in April.
That's awfully nice of you to offer. If I haven't come up with something before then I will take you up on that.

Thank You!
Old 02-27-2015, 07:18 PM   #7

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Virginia
Bill
The goucho back is the same size as the bottom & bananna cushion. People using the goucho as a front bed usually take out the botton & bananna cushion and undo the back cushion and use it as a one piece lower seat cushion.
The older Scamp-13s have slightly larger goucho cushions. Other than the older Scamps any 13,16 or 19 cushions could be used as a pattern. I have some pictures and measurements of the goucho wood and cushion. I will try to find them and post.
Eddie
You can use your fiberglass seat as your pattern.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:40 PM   #8

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Virginia
This is all I could find.
Attached Thumbnails
824 - Copy.jpg   825 (2) - Copy.jpg  

829 (2) - Copy.jpg   831 (2).jpg  

Old 02-28-2015, 06:56 AM   #9

North Carolina
Eddie, thank you. That is a tremendous help. Your bottom picture looks like the ends flex. Is that correct? I thought this cushion folded down on a hinge to make the back cushion or up to be used as top bunk.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:04 AM   #10

Arizona
Registry
Yes. That allows the upper bunk/backrest to conform to the curvature of the front shell when in sofa mode. It is a critical design element. (Eddie - I'm curious, because I've never taken mine apart… how are the two plywood wings attached to the large piece? I can't see anything in your picture.)

And Bill, you are correct, there is a hinge that attaches the bunk to the ledge under the front window. It's an offset hinge and it isn't in the pictures because you wouldn't attach it until the cover is on and the whole thing set in place. The bunk rests on top of the ledge, which carries the weight, and the hinge is attached to the bottom of the bunk and the underside of the ledge. I can post a close-up picture of the hinge attachment later today if you'd like.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:05 AM   #11

Name: Darnelle
Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Minnesota
Our 2000 13' Scamp came without the sofa back plywood, but it was there at one time. Would really appreciate a pattern, too! Thank you to anyone who can help. Happy to pay.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:09 AM   #12

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Yes. That allows the upper bunk/backrest to conform to the curvature of the front shell when in sofa mode. It is a critical design element.
What supports the ends when it's folded up in bunk mode? I'm visualizing a piano type hinge to keep the ends from folding the other direction. Is that right?
Old 02-28-2015, 07:33 AM   #13

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdum View Post
What supports the ends when it's folded up in bunk mode? I'm visualizing a piano type hinge to keep the ends from folding the other direction. Is that right?
That's a good question… I edited my earlier post to ask because I have never taken mine apart. I guessed a piano hinge, too, but didn't see anything in the picture. I don't think it is really much of an issue, though, because the wings are so small that they don't take any real weight. A simple cloth tape hinge might even be enough.

The most important support issue to check out is the ledge itself, which is wood encased in fiberglass. I have heard a couple of accounts here in which a slow leak from the front window allowed water to get inside the ledge and rot the wood.
Old 02-28-2015, 08:07 AM   #14

Florida
I have removed the plywood from my couch back, the ends are hinged, I can take a picture when I get home and make a pattern.

We removed the wood for a couple of reasons, it's heavy and we store memory foam topper for the dinette bed behind the cushion.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16

Tags
scamp