Wanted: Scamp Door - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-03-2012, 11:05 PM   #1

Name: Stacy
Trailer: "79 Scamp "Tiny Tow"
Texas
Scamp Door

Hello! I'm looking for a Used Scamp Door where the body is good- the paint is not a concern-painting the trailer. I can get one new, but quite costly for a 70's Scamp. Thank you! Stacy

Old 11-04-2012, 02:16 AM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: Bigfoot, Trillium, Scamp 5th Wheel
Spokane Wa. and Las Vegas, Nv.
Registry
How much are they new? I've thought about replacing mine.

Old 11-04-2012, 06:26 AM   #3

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Stacy, what's wrong with your door?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:47 PM   #4

Texas
Scamp Door

I don't have the Scamp yet, but the door has a big dent, like someone pushed it shut with their booty! Not a must to replace, but checking it out.
I just emailed the factory and they said 395.00 plus 150.00 shipping to replace.

Stacy
Old 11-04-2012, 08:32 PM   #5

Oregon
Stacy, that should be repairable. I wonder if a toilet plunger would work to pop it back out? Hummmm. I'd certainly try something first (and maybe second and third and fourth) before spending $545.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:41 PM   #6

Texas
Well, I agree, except that the trailer is in another state with a friend that is going to paint it. I would want the door shipped to them before the exterior paint job. UGH! It will still be a great deal one way or the other. But- if you see one lurking about- let me know!
Stacy
Old 11-05-2012, 12:46 AM   #7

Registry
My door appears to be pretty much solid, not sure if it could be dented. At least not to the point where it couldn't be fixed.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:22 AM   #8

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by StacyJayT View Post
Well, I agree, except that the trailer is in another state with a friend that is going to paint it. I would want the door shipped to them before the exterior paint job. UGH! It will still be a great deal one way or the other. But- if you see one lurking about- let me know!
Stacy
Okay, another question. And you are having it painted... why? Because of a number of exterior repairs? Or are you wanting something other than white? Or because it's all chaulky and you think that's the only way to get a shine?

I only ask these questions because you're a newbee to FiberglassRV. There are several good posts about bringing a shine to OLD gelcoat and it's much, much cheaper than paint and gives fantastic results.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:43 PM   #9

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Stacy it would help if the party that has the trailer sent you some photos of the door damage inside and out and you posted them so the type/amount of damage you are talking about can be seen.

If its just a dent then as Donna suggests its very fixable. Not sure about your trailer due to its age but my scamp has a piece of wood glued onto the inside of the door hidden under the door covering/rat fur. If yours does as well it may mean that the wood has been broken behind the fiberglass and that is a pretty easy item to replace & it may pushing the fiberglass back into shape. If the fiberglass is cracked then it may be cheaper to just have the door taken off and taken to have the fiberglass repaired as you are going to have it painted anyways, I would expect having it fix would cost less than a new door.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:08 PM   #10

Texas
Scamp Door

Wow! You guys are helpful! I wish I were retired and could just go from place to place and hang out. The Scamp is chalky and has some spider veins. It is totally white, but the person I'm getting it from owns a paint company and offerred to sand and paint it whatever color I want. I think I'm going with white top and mid gray bottom. I haven't seen it in person, but think there is no crack, just pushed in.

It will be painted before I get up there to get it. So, I either need to get a door shipped to him, or be happy with this door once the paint job is done. It's a great deal and very happy either way, just checking my options.
Attached Images

Old 11-07-2012, 06:53 AM   #11

Registry
Have them paint it but leave you with the leftover paint. It looks like all your damage is underneath the fiberglass and can probably be pushed out/reshaped from the inside. If for some reason it needs touched up you will have the leftover paint to touch it up. It would be best to fix the problem prior to paint but sometimes, because of time and distance, we just gotta do what we gotta do.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:55 AM   #12

Texas
Scamp Door

Sounds like a plan! Thank you.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:43 PM   #13

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
The pic's a little hard for me to see- is that a row of rivets/bolts along the hingeside edge?

If so:
I think Carol's suggestion that it's missing interior support may be accurate....the door may have been coming apart, necessitating that "repair". I had a similar struggle with my Trillium door, but I was careful to replace the interior wood before reglassing it back together.

I think any boatbuilder/fiberglass shop could repair yours to as-new for much less than the cost of a new one, but they'd have to know where the supports belong. Of course, that may be obvious to a trained eye. Repair would likely involve first splitting the door open- glue outlines of the wood pieces would probably be visible.

Francesca.
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:56 PM   #14

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
I am also having a bit of tough time figuring out what is really going on with the door with the photo posted. If we had one a little more straight on & one closer up to the dented area it might help, as would a photo of the inside of the door.

As Francesca pointed out there appears to be a row of rivets or something going around the door that I havent seen those on a Scamp before and the hinges seem a little strange but that may just be shadows.

If it was me I would be have it taken off and mixed prior to painting as it may need a bit of filling and sanding to get it back into correct shape.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp