Scamp Restoration Expert in Los Angeles area? - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-04-2013, 09:46 AM   #1
Name: 1986
Trailer: Scamp
Scamp Restoration Expert in Los Angeles area?

I am a real newbie here so bear with me please.

I just bought a 1986 (not confirmed on year) Scamp 13 foot trailer.
It may not be a 1986 because I was just told that the 1986 versions have the carpeted walls!?!? Mine is just fiberglass inside.

Anyway, I'm using the trailer as extra space and don't think I will ever travel with it.

I would like to find some used parts (side window, ceiling vent window (don't know what it's called), a screen for the front door, etc. Anyone out there have any used Scamp windows and parts? I am not fond of the Scamp manufactured carpeting, cushions, or anything else for the interior. Would like to make it very modern and stylish inside.

The previous owner was a chain smoker and the walls have yellowed and the entire interior wreaks of cigarette smoke. What do you use to get rid of that odor?

Also, how does one insulate the space? I'm pretty sure I will be taking the stove top and fridge out so I can have a larger area. Possibly install Pergo or similar type of flooring with area rugs on top.

I am also wondering if there are any light source options that don't use electricity aside from flashlights? It's very dark inside the trailer.

Anyone have an expert restorer in the LA area to refer me to?

Lastly, how do you drill anything to the interior - like shelves? Seems like the vinyl or fiberglass would crack easily.

Thanks for reading and helping me out. I don't know a thing yet!

1986scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:13 AM   #2
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
I know the screen door is hard to find used - its in high demand but Scamp does sell the whole door complete with the wood frame etc that goes around the door way. Some people have built their own screen doors. A search of the site will turn up a few options.

For lights have you considered using 12V LED lights running off the battery that is recharged using a solar panel. Thats how many of us who camp of the grid get by without electrical. LED 12V lights use very little power.

If you use the search function at the top of the forum you will find lots of information on how to drill holes and put rivets through the shell correctly without damaging the trailer. The Google box at the bottom of the search option drop down will return the best search results on this site.

To get rid of the oder the best thing you can do is wash the walls down with something containing bleach and repaint them with a semi gloss bathroom paint.

There is a forum member who runs The Happier Camper - Los Angles Rentals who does an amazing job of refitting old trailers and renting them out. Perhaps if you approached him he may be willing to do work for you.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:26 AM   #3
Name: 1986
Trailer: Scamp
Thank you!
1986scamp is offline   Reply With Quote