Wanted: Scrap Fiberglass Pieces - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-13-2013, 12:54 PM   #15

Name: Keith
Trailer: Scamp 19' 5th wheel
Michigan
Bob, the truth is that I send my pistol registration documents to the police dept via UPS since 1) I get proof of delivery and tracking that actually works, 2) it is cheaper than using the postal service

The post office is not doing themselves any favors. They will keep losing customers as long as they are so expensive combined with totally sucky service.

Are we aspiring to be Europeans ? Do you want a 22% sales tax after paying about 60% in tax deductions on your wages ? In other words, leave it up to beurocrats to decide how nearly 80% of your earnings should be spent ?

Old 10-13-2013, 05:58 PM   #16

Name: David
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 1300
Cumberland, Indiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim 972 View Post
Have you priced fiberglass mat, resin, bondo ? @ an average of $6 for a 8 sq. ft. Mat, resin, bondo and time, $35 from scamp is worth it. I would rethink the value of your project if $35 is above your budget.
As I am performing a complete ground up restoration of my trill, $35 is not above my budget, nor anywhere near the value of my project. I already have a gallon of resin and an adequate supply of mat. It just bugs me that the parts department at Scamp didn't seem to want to be bothered by my request and really just didn't want to try another means to satisfy a potential customer.

Spanke

Old 10-13-2013, 06:00 PM   #17

Cumberland, Indiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Outlaw View Post
I will be at the Oliver factory in a few days to check the progress of our new build and I can try to pick up a couple of window cutouts.
Steve,

Anything you could do would be greatly appreciated.

Spanke
Old 10-13-2013, 07:52 PM   #18

Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II
Mississippi
Registry
David,
It will not be a problem. I can wrap some tape around them and ship them to you by whatever means is the cheapest. It'll be a few days before I get back though. You can PM me with your address.
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:25 AM   #19

Cumberland, Indiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Outlaw View Post
David,
It will not be a problem. I can wrap some tape around them and ship them to you by whatever means is the cheapest. It'll be a few days before I get back though. You can PM me with your address.
Steve,

Thanks so much, have sent you a PM.

Spanke
Old 10-20-2013, 06:02 PM   #20

Name: Fred
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
Washington
Registry
Hope you got the pieces you need already.

I closed up the old Fridge vent holes and it is very helpful to have a solid patch panel the approximate size of your hole. Keep in mind, you'll be doing a bunch of fiberglassing to form a good patch.

One of the areas was filled in by a panel made horizontally on my workbench (as described in other folks post above). That works well.

Definitely don't try to make your patch vertically, on the side of your trailer. Yes, I know this from experience.

--Fred and Natalie
1978 Trillium 4500 "Bernerwagon"
freddo411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:10 PM   #21

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanke View Post
was quoted $39.16.
Free trade covers import duties, not local taxes. That shipping may not include the brokerage fees to collect the taxes. If you invoke the limits it usually costs more for some one to figure out how much taxes you need to pay than the actual taxes.

Remember your government shut down a lot of things recently because they ran out of money.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:23 PM   #22

Cumberland, Indiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
Free trade covers import duties, not local taxes. That shipping may not include the brokerage fees to collect the taxes. If you invoke the limits it usually costs more for some one to figure out how much taxes you need to pay than the actual taxes.

Remember your government shut down a lot of things recently because they ran out of money.
My comment was meant to be subtle and observational humor at its witty best with a hint of sarcasm.

Steve Outlaw is graciously setting me up with the scrap fiberglass pieces I need for a very fair price.

Thanks to all for the suggestions and comments.

Spanke
Old 10-20-2013, 11:49 PM   #23

Ontario
No problems here. USPS provides a much better bang for the buck than Canada Post. Your fees are lower and many services better.

The brokerage fees are the killer. If only they could figure out a way for ebay etc to collect the taxes automatically there would be much more cross border purchases. If I buy something from the USA worth $42.00 Canada Post charges $10 to collect $5.46 in taxes. The couriers start at $40 something dollars to collect the same.

I stack my purchases so I can pick them up in the USA when we cross the border. Although I may avoid the taxes with personal expemption. I am really trying to avoid the rapacious brokerage fees.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:58 PM   #24

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
I've never been charged brokerage or taxes on items that arrive by Canada Post from the U.S.
I insist that the seller use U.S.P.S. which passes the item on to Canada Post.

On the other hand, if the seller will only ship UPS ( the brown guys ), I cancel my order. UPS sent me a bill once for $50 for brokerage. The bill arrived two weeks after the package, so I couldn't even refuse the package.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:34 AM   #25

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Glenn if you live within a couple of hours drive of the border Ship Happens can become your new best friends ;-) Dont know why but half the time people go to pick up from parcel del'v service places such as them the border folks on your return to Canada when advised that your reason for crossing was to pick up a parcel they just say "have a nice day'... even if you were only in the US for a half hour or so, stange but true.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:11 AM   #26

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I've never been charged brokerage or taxes on items that arrive by Canada Post from the U.S.
You have been lucky Glenn. I think many times they over look small amounts of taxes, or the item has been labelled as a gift of <$60. Check out section 2.2.1 -2.2.4 here:
Canada Post - Customs Requirements

I've been charged in the past, but they do not seem to be as aggressive now that the fee has been jumped up to $9.95.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:20 AM   #27

British Columbia
Registry
No charges for duty or customs if the item is sent by mail under $20.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:09 AM   #28

British Columbia
Registry
Duty is a funny thing - all depends on what it is and where it was made. No duty charges on a lot of camera gear for example. Also where it was made or assembled - US or Mexico - could well be duty free.