Wanted: Scrap Fiberglass Pieces - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-09-2013, 08:25 PM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 1300
Cumberland, Indiana
Registry
Scrap Fiberglass Pieces

Would any one have pieces of scrap fiberglass they would be willing to sell.

I'm fiberglassing in my old 3-way refrigerator vent holes and I need:

1 piece approximately 16" x 22"

1 piece approximately 8" x 22"

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Spanke

Old 10-09-2013, 08:32 PM   #2

Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Registry
Spanke, some people have simply put the vents back in place with a solid backer behind them. That way, you don't have to patch in fiberglass, but the holes are sealed. Maybe that's an option?

Old 10-09-2013, 08:46 PM   #3

Cumberland, Indiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
Spanke, some people have simply put the vents back in place with a solid backer behind them. That way, you don't have to patch in fiberglass, but the holes are sealed. Maybe that's an option?
Thanks for the suggestion.

I was hoping to eliminate the vents altogether and go with the smooth-look. Didn't want to lay up large sections of mat over a plywood filler.

A PO had poorly painted the trailer and I have sanded off. Will have to repair other spots and repaint so I figured why not just do a little more fiberglass work!

Spanke
Old 10-09-2013, 09:07 PM   #4

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
There was a badly damaged Trillium shown 2-3 days ago that might become a fiberglass panel donor. But one would have to be very, very, very good with fiberglass to make that big of a hole disappear.

As a thought, it might be doable to have a mold made of the same shape area elsewhere on the trailer's shell and have panel section laid in with a chopper gun. I once had a mold for a small hardtop made in this manner, but we made 12 tops and sold 10 to recover costs. Ask at a boat rebuilding shop.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:18 PM   #5

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Some people have gone to reuse it type stores and found old or damaged fiberglass showers and cut them up to use for filling holes.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:23 PM   #6

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Virginia
You can get cutouts from Scamp. Call the parts dept. Another option old bathtub or shower surrounds, Try HD, Lowes, Menards, Re-store or the dump.
Eddie
Old 10-09-2013, 09:40 PM   #7

Name: Dave
Trailer: Trails West Campster, CampStar, Uhaul, Fiberstream
Washington
Just buy a piece of galvanized sheet metal, paint on a coat of resin, put on a piece of fiberglass matt and saturate....repeat until you have 3 layers and walla, you have your piece for the cost of shipping some used piece of something that you don't know if it is the right composite to use or not...many fiberglass showers have abs in them....a nono for your use
Old 10-10-2013, 12:55 PM   #8

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Spanke, I have a complete trailer that I will be cutting up. Lots of fibreglass for patches. When do you need the patches?

It's kinda a shame to not be putting the street side logo back on.
Old 10-10-2013, 01:07 PM   #9

Trailer:
You are going to have to do some fiberglass work to bond in existing pieces of fiberglass, so it's barely any more work to make your own pieces. For a (flat) mold, a piece of window glass is as flat as it comes, but an offcut of laminate counter top is equally good.

Using wax as a mold release agent is a bit tedious and can be by-passed by either laying a plastic sheet on the flat surface (hard to avoid any wrinkles) or by covering it in two layers of brown packaging tape (polypropylene?) - the two layers are so that there aren't any exposed seams for resin to creep through.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:30 PM   #10

Cumberland, Indiana
Registry
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.

I contacted Scamp for cut-out pieces. The told me that the shipping would be $25 from Backus, MN to Indy plus $10 for the pieces. I ask him why the shipping was so high and he said it was the size of the box. I told him the box should only be 2' square and 2" wide. He said that they don't have a box that small! Being a little frustrated I didn't bother to tell him to wrap it in a couple of strips of packing tape, slap a USPS label on it and mail it! I will pusue that Monday.

Dave Tiltson checked into shipping some pieces salvaged from his scrap project from Calgary to Indy and was quoted $39.16. As he said. "I wonder what happened to free trade!"

I searched all over Indy today at construction salvage yards, garage sales and even cruised alleys where there is a lot of home rehab going on and could not find a trashed shower stall.

I do have a message into a friend of mine who has a barn full of "stuff", maybe he'll come through.

I may have to just lay it up myself, never done that before but, the tutorials and posts on this site make it sound like a fairly straight forward procedure.

Anybody live near the Scamp Factory in Backus?

The saga continues........

Spanke
Old 10-13-2013, 08:28 AM   #11

Name: Tim
Trailer: Compact Jr.
Texas
Have you priced fiberglass mat, resin, bondo ? @ an average of $6 for a 8 sq. ft. Mat, resin, bondo and time, $35 from scamp is worth it. I would rethink the value of your project if $35 is above your budget.
Old 10-13-2013, 10:33 AM   #12

Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II
Mississippi
Registry
I will be at the Oliver factory in a few days to check the progress of our new build and I can try to pick up a couple of window cutouts.
Steve Outlaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 11:54 AM   #13

Name: Keith
Trailer: Scamp 19' 5th wheel
Michigan
The bankrupt PO has raised their prices like crazy and everyone in the industry uses the PO prices as a baseline (UPS + Fedex). That unfortunately is how it works.

If you go to this surplus store in Indianna Arctic White Fiberglass : RV Parts Nation you could pick up a Min order of Filon for $105 (5ft x 8th) which you could cut to fit the hole. I would get some aluminium flashing like this http://www.lowes.com/pd_366893-18591-AV1410_0__?productId=3499742&Ntt=aluminum+flashing &pl=1¤tURL=%3FNtt%3Daluminum%2Bflashing&facetIn fo=
and duct tape it over the outer surface to provide a fair reference surface. Then insert the pre-cut filon from the inside and glue the outer edges (with the "correct" side facing out). Then scuff the inner surface of the part you glued in, and the outer surface of a matching piece or a slightly larger piece and then glue that over the patch and onto the surrounding fiberglass shell. Then add some more glass and resin around the edge on the inside of the trailer. Finally, on the outside, add a 2" strip of BID tape around the edge to provide some additional strength.

Unless you can find a matching cutout from the factory, this kind of repair will give you the least cosmetic filling / fairing to do since the filon is already surface finished when it is made.
Old 10-13-2013, 12:34 PM   #14

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Before pointing an incorrect finger at the USPS do 3 things:

1. Find out about the requirement that the feds dropped on them to over pay into their retirement plan.
and
2. Look at the prices for postage in Europe, by that standard we are still cheap...
3. Look at how much their 1st class business has dropped off due to eMail etc.....