Wanted: spare tire mount - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-11-2012, 06:02 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Name: Steve
Trailer: uhaul
Florida
Posts: 24
Registry
spare tire mount

Anyone have a bumper spare tire mount for a Uhaul ct?
__________________

__________________
hueman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:57 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Thomas G.'s Avatar
 
Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Posts: 5,103
I made my own, a very simple design. I don't know that UHaul ever had an official, factory spare tire mount.

UHaul CT Spare Tire Mount
__________________

__________________
UHaul and Burro owners, join the UHaul Campers on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/groups/529276933859491/
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:17 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
knighth001's Avatar
 
Name: Sean
Trailer: 1984 Uhaul CT 13
Georgia
Posts: 163
Registry
My Uhaul had the original spare (uhaul tire was dry rotten). Someone had drilled two holes drilled in the center of the bumper and put a couple of mismatched bolts through there to hold it. I replaced the tire with a new one, painted the rim and patched the holes in the bumper. I got one of these:

Carry-On Trailer® Spare Tire Mount - 1091290 | Tractor Supply Company

I just drilled some holes in the bumper and mounted that. Pics attached.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8392.jpg   IMG_8391.jpg  

__________________
--Sean
1984 Uhaul CT 13
TV: 2011 Kia Sorento V6, 2001 Mazda Tribute V6
My U-haul Camper Blog
knighth001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:28 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Thomas G.'s Avatar
 
Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Posts: 5,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighth001 View Post
My Uhaul had the original spare (uhaul tire was dry rotten). Someone had drilled two holes drilled in the center of the bumper and put a couple of mismatched bolts through there to hold it. I replaced the tire with a new one, painted the rim and patched the holes in the bumper. I got one of these:

Carry-On Trailer® Spare Tire Mount - 1091290 | Tractor Supply Company

I just drilled some holes in the bumper and mounted that. Pics attached.
Something similar for a lot less $$. The appeal of my design was that it used existing bolts and bolt holes.
Trailer Spare Tire Carrier - Save on this Spare Tire Carrier
__________________
UHaul and Burro owners, join the UHaul Campers on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/groups/529276933859491/
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:36 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
knighth001's Avatar
 
Name: Sean
Trailer: 1984 Uhaul CT 13
Georgia
Posts: 163
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Something similar for a lot less $$. The appeal of my design was that it used existing bolts and bolt holes.
Trailer Spare Tire Carrier - Save on this Spare Tire Carrier
I saw one like that too Tom but the one I got had a solid backing plate rather than two separate ones. Felt a little sturdier to me but it may just be a perception thing. I had to mount mine off-center because the backing plate wouldn't fit around the middle frame bar. So with this being two separate ones, it may fit better for centering on the bumper.

And Tractor Supply is conveniently close to my house.
__________________
--Sean
1984 Uhaul CT 13
TV: 2011 Kia Sorento V6, 2001 Mazda Tribute V6
My U-haul Camper Blog
knighth001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:41 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Thomas G.'s Avatar
 
Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Posts: 5,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighth001 View Post
I saw one like that too Tom but the one I got had a solid backing plate rather than two separate ones. Felt a little sturdier to me but it may just be a perception thing. I had to mount mine off-center because the backing plate wouldn't fit around the middle frame bar. So with this being two separate ones, it may fit better for centering on the bumper.

And Tractor Supply is conveniently close to my house.

All good. As I bought the aluminum for mine at the scrap yard for about $2, and it is extremely sturdy and will never rust, it seems like the best solution.

Not that I'm biased.
__________________

__________________
UHaul and Burro owners, join the UHaul Campers on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/groups/529276933859491/
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
UHaul CT Spare Tire Mount Thomas G. Modifications, Alterations and Updates 11 07-04-2016 04:58 PM
Spare Tire Mount? Serial #? davis Modifications, Alterations and Updates 8 08-29-2012 11:50 PM
Hunter I Spare Tire Mount? vjbcello Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 8 04-10-2012 10:05 PM
spare tire mount ScottG Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 0 11-06-2010 02:03 PM
Spare Tire Mount Johnathan Gallant Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 4 06-10-2008 07:40 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.