For Sale: U-Haul parts - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-17-2012, 02:35 PM   #15

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
My replacements were purchased off the web site camper parts. Both had a plastic back with a socket for what I assume was a speed sensor.
Michael J

Old 10-17-2012, 02:51 PM   #16

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeyer View Post
On a whim I checked the used hub against the spare in my wife's Equinox T P140/17 which is a 5 on 4.5 the studs easily went through the holes in the wheel. The center hole for the wheel would not go over the center boss on the hub. Over all diameter was the same as the 13" tire. Thinking a 5 on 4.75 would not work with my used hub.
I know U haul sells 2 different hubs,1 on eBay and a different numbered on on the web site for the camper. More ponderences for my spare time.
Michael J.

It sounds like your hubs have been changed to a 5 x 4.5" hub which was used on later GM compacts like Lumina. The base of the hub (that mounts to the axle) is the same between the Camaro/Firebird (4.75" circle) and Lumina (4.5" circle) hubs.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:00 PM   #17

Indiana
Registry
measured the original hubs and they are 4.75" centers just can't figure why they fit the Equinox temp spare bolt pattern. i have another hub that I bought supposedly from the same site that measures 4.5" bolt pattern and it won't fit the donut spare that came with my VT. the others will. it may be that the wheel and hub bolt patterns are not exactly 4.5 and 4.75" as they are really measured down to tenths of a millimeter if believe the spare wheel site i used to reference various vehicle wheel dimensions. so some may be slightly less than 4.75 and others slightly more than 4.5 inches which if they used a little larger holes allow the fit. Will check out my Ford Ranger spare sometime as it is supposed to have 5 X4.5 pattern.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:24 PM   #18

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeyer View Post
My replacements were purchased off the web site camper parts. Both had a plastic back with a socket for what I assume was a speed sensor.
Michael J
The hubs that I bought from Uhaul and were listed under the camper parts also have the plastic back with socket. I was wondering if it was an anti lock brake sensor, but it's not like any anti lock sensor set up that I'm used to seeing on trucks. I have an original camper wheel as a spare, and this hub fits the wheel. But does it bolt onto the camper axle is the big question. I had emailed Uhaul truck parts asking about the correct part number, I think I said is this [whatever number it was] the correct part #, and I think the answer was yes it is but gave me a different number, so I ordered the one listed for the camper which turned out to be this one with the plastic cap. I haven't had the need to replace a hub, but since they are a sealed bearing and I know how hard it can be to detect when they are close to failure, I wanted to have spares on hand. I carry the trailer spare wheel with the new hub bolted to it in the spare tire well of our Honda CRV because the Honda has the outside mounted spare. Bolt circle gauges are available fairly cheap, Eastwood Co. for one sells them, that's where I got mine.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:13 PM   #19

Indiana
Registry
My new ones like you describe bolted on just fine and I have brakes to deal with. Did go to new grade 8 nuts and bolts and lock washer. originals did not have a lock washer

Tags
u-haul