Wanted: Uhaul Stove Top in decent condition - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-23-2013, 11:12 PM   #1

Name: Sean
Trailer: 1984 Uhaul CT 13
Georgia
Registry
Uhaul Stove Top in decent condition

Thought I'd post this out there if anyone had one or was planning to replace/remove their stove. My stove works fine but the stovetop was in pretty bad shape. Rusted and pitted. I've worked it with everything including extra fine steel wool and acetone. Just can't really clean it up good. It's still functional but I'd like to find a "nicer" looking one if I can.

Does anyone know the manufacturer of the Uhaul stoves? that may also help me in my search if they were made for other campers too.

My U-haul Camper Blog
knighth001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:13 AM   #2

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
I cleaned up mine with a wire wheel and naval jelly, then painted with high temperature automotive paint. When I removed the top, a tag inside identified the manufacturer. Which of course I have now forgotten. Maybe Atwood. It should not be too hard to find a whole new cook top in the $100 range, if you are OK with non-original.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:14 AM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I was going to buy a replacement stove from Vintage Trailer Supply, but it was out of stock at the time. Cleaned up ours and made a cover for it. We rarely use it. I found that if wind and rain are against the left side of the trailer, water gets in through the hood vent, probably the reason these stoves are so rusty. I modified a new vent hood to eliminate that problem.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:17 AM   #4

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 28' Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Oak Park, IL
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Our stove is not original to the VT, but we got it from the PO when we picked up the trailer. Our problem is that the right hand burner keeps vibrating loose from its connection inside the stove top. When it warms up outside, I'll take off the top again and see if there is another way to get it to stay attached to the propane knob/regulator. The screw that holds it keeps coming out, even with LocTite and other products. We rarely use it, so it's not really a problem and we keep the propane turned all the time anyway until we need it.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:24 PM   #5

Name: Sean
Trailer: 1984 Uhaul CT 13
Georgia
Registry
well, I went out and yanked the top off to see if I could find something about the manufacturer and I found a metal plate among the rust. Manufactured by Vitreous Steel Products Company. I have no idea if this is the original stove or not. I did find a manual for these stoves on a popup camper site. attaching as a pdf.

Can anyone else confirm if they have a different stove? I would not be surprised if a PO had changed it out on mine.
Attached Thumbnails
IMAG0207.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Safari Range.pdf (127.3 KB, 8 views)
My U-haul Camper Blog
knighth001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:29 PM   #6

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Sure looks like mine. Name coulda been Safari.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:43 PM   #7

Name: Chris
Trailer: U-Haul
Georgia
Registry
Same one I have. I'm going to get a local metal shop to brake me a cover for it. Put it on a hinge in the back so I can use that counter space when not cooking. And have a back stop too.

Tags
uhaul