Wanted: Very small utility or cargo trailer - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-29-2011, 09:48 PM   #1

Name: tom
Trailer: looking for jeep trailer
Indiana
Very small utility or cargo trailer

Yes, I just bought a 94 Jeep Wrangler and want to take a slow trip[not to China] to So.California from Southern Indiana.

Plan on stopping, and camping, or lodging on the way and seeing some interesting sights...unless I freeze to death? Figure I'll stay at a resort-camping, hiking-scenic sight. Just me and ol' faithful, my dog. Would choose to take a lady but she's already taken.

Okay back to topic: I need a small trailer to haul some vital items. Guessing about a 3 or 4 ft. square trailer. I can pull only 2000 lbs, I hear. Even something smaller might work?

Does anyone have a trailer similar to what I want? I'll be driving westward from Evansville, In. I might drive through Missouri, or I could go the warmer southern route [likely] through Oklahoma. It may be a 3 weeks or a month and a half before I am organized enough to leave. Plus, I possibly could buy a trailer along the route?

Here's my number if you have any advice or want to talk about trailers.
Thank you, Tom!

Old 12-29-2011, 11:03 PM   #2

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Not sure what your budget is, but you may want to keep an eye out for a motorcycle trailer. They are small like you want, and some are pretty aerodynamic too.

How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 01:48 AM   #3

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Smile Welcome to FGRV

I used to own a small trailer we bought for tent camping. It was made by Sears and was called an X-Cargo.

(I don't know what caused the yellow stripes on my red car. I remember it being an extremely bright, sunny day. Aren't computers fun?)

I sold it in 2005 for $100, having bought it in ca 1975 for $400.

I see Fred Meyer selling trailer platforms that you can add your own body to.
Attached Thumbnails
DCP_1390.jpg   DCP_1389.jpg  

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 08:02 AM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Look for a Coleman Versa trailer. They were made for only a few years around 1980. Looks similar to the above posted Sears trailer. Many had a fiberglass top, They had a front and rear tailgate, box was about 50" wide and 5 feet long. They were also available with a canvas camping option and wood rack sides. The width and front & rear tailgates were to allow a sheet of plywood to be laid flat in the trailer. I have one that I found on ebay, I lengthened the tongue to mount a three bike rack, and we use it every April for a trip south with our daughter and her 3 kids.I've also seen some little trailers that look like the old Sears Xcargo roof carriers but on wheels.Then there's the little popup campers that could be pulled by a big motorcycle, see them occassionally on ebay or craigslist. Or how about a teardrop trailer, our 1946 teardrop weighs only 650 lb and sleeps two. Bob
Old 12-30-2011, 10:54 AM   #5

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
If I could get into one I would look at

Roughneck Adventure Trailer - Compact Expedition Trailer - Outdoor Sports Cargo Camper

They don't list the dry weight.

Nancy
Old 12-30-2011, 11:24 AM   #6

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
I used to own a small trailer we bought for tent camping. It was made by Sears and was called an X-Cargo.

(I don't know what caused the yellow stripes on my red car. I remember it being an extremely bright, sunny day. Aren't computers fun?)

I sold it in 2005 for $100, having bought it in ca 1975 for $400.

I see Fred Meyer selling trailer platforms that you can add your own body to.
That reminds me, I used to have an X-Cargo car-top carrier. A clamshell unit that was maybe, oh, 4 feet square and about 18 or 20 inches high, I think. Not sure if that would be big enough for your purposes, but it's a thought. This thing simply strapped to the top of any vehicle.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 01:13 PM   #7

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Look on E-bay motors, military vehicles. There are some old Jeep trailers on there and they make awesome off road utility trailers.