Wanted Aluminium Stone Guard - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-01-2014, 11:28 PM   #1
Name: Bill
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
Question Wanted Aluminium Stone Guard

I would like to get an aluminium stone guard for the front (under the window) lower section for my Trilluim 1300. Does any one make them for these trailers? Thanks, Bill

Captian Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 07:13 AM   #2
Name: Eddie
Trailer: Scamp 16DX
Don't know of any mfg. making stone guards for eggs. Either a custom or DIY project I would guess. Some are putting bed liner material on the lower front of eggs.

Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 07:23 AM   #3
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Hi Bill, to FiberglassRV.

Like Eddie, I don't know of any commercially available either and lots of folks do the bedliner solution.

I think you're asking about something like this? See pic in first post: 81 Scamp just purchased
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 02:21 PM   #4
Name: kenny
Trailer: Bigfoot 13'
I bought a stone guard to attach to the receiver hitch. I bought it at camper world. They are " Rock solid tow guard ". there are different priced guards. I chose the the less expensive guard, and it allowed me to cut it to the length I wanted. They are too wide for my 4Runner. 2006. I cut about 1 foot off of each piece .( they come in two pieces about 4 feet wide. the vinyl guard is approx. 16 inches high,after testing the guard in place I cut it to about 12 inches, they have a metal L channel along the top.) I then bought a 6 foot piece of L bracket ( steel ) cut to about 4 feet l bolted it under the top L bracket of the rock guard pieces, that were set together with no space at the center, bolted together with 1 1/2" bolts. this went under the receiver insert. 4 inch carriage bolts drilled into the L bracket of the pieces that are bolted together at each side of the insert, through a support strap and into a 4" piece wide of L channel, ( drill them where they are not so close to the 2x2 insert.) Bolted this way, allows the rock guard to stay stable ! I drilled and taped the receiver side of the hitch put bolts in place, to hold the insert tight, which was sloppy, when bought ! The vinyl guard piece was too long, when Egg was attached to the 4Runner. It looks like it leaves too much space, where I cut it off, but when the Egg is hooked on it almost drags the ground and it will, when turning thru street rain gutters. drill all holes closer to the front edge of the L bracket, if too close to
the bend, the bolts will jamb up, learned the hard way.

P.S. Pictures will follow Donna.

Later Kenny
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 06:43 PM   #5
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Originally Posted by Kenny Strong View Post
P.S. Pictures will follow Donna.

Later Kenny
Sounds good to me , but Billy is looking for a solution that is on the front of the trailer not something that is on the back of the tug. He may change his mind after your description and (soon) pictures.
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 07:46 PM   #6
Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Look for a local shop that makes or repairs other types of trailers (e.g. utility or horse). They use the aluminium and are used to custom fitting it.

An alternative would be for you to apply your own bedliner type material. Here is one thread using Grizzly Grip on a Trillium. Stone Guard added
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 08:51 PM   #7
Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
A friend of mine made a rock guard for the front of his tin can trailer. He bought the frame material at home depot. The cover was a sheet of corrugated fiberglass roofing.
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 05:59 AM   #8
Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
Diamond Plate Aluminum is available in all sorts of sizes and thicknesses on eBay.
I recently bought corner guards that way to protect the corners of a sticky pop-up I rebuilt. You can also buy sheets cut to size

Here's some pics:
1983 StarCraft 14 Foot Photos by advocateone | Photobucket

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote