Wanted: Wanted: RV Fridge - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-19-2012, 06:11 PM   #1

Name: Steve
Trailer: Bigfoot, Trillium, Scamp 5th Wheel
Spokane Wa. and Las Vegas, Nv.
Registry
Wanted: RV Fridge

The fridge in my 1984 Scamp 19' is not very dependable. It shuts off at the most inopportune times. I can't get it to work on 110 or 12v only gas. I believe it is a 2.7. I would like a nicer/more dependable one. I might even consider one that is larger. Let me know what you have.
Steve

Old 10-19-2012, 06:55 PM   #2

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Personally, I am a fan of an icebox in the fridge section. There are zero maintenance issues. We replace the ice (we prefer block ice) every 3 days or so. We also have an ordinary ice chest which we keep in the car or the bear locker. In the trailer ice box we keep meats and condiments, basically the things we use for dinner, thereby opening the door infrequently so as not to melt the ice too quickly. The ice chest holds produce which we use throughout the day. A tip for the ice chest: place a shelf extender rack (basically a wire shelf with 5" legs) in the ice chest, over the ice. Place the produce (or other items) on the shelf. As the ice melts the produce stays out of the pool of water. We also keep a few washcloths on the bottom to absorb the melted ice.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:20 PM   #3

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
If it works well on gas it's worth fixing and new ones start around $850+
I'll bet there is a shop in Vegas that is experienced with absorbtion refrigerators, they are very popular in outlying areas. If all else fails, just run it on LP, it's consumption is really very low.
Old 10-21-2012, 02:42 AM   #4

Registry
The problem with going with an icebox is I live in the camper for 3 months every summer. It's not very practical to buy ice every few days.

The problem I have with gas only is that although it works on gas it sometimes quits and then when I discover it has quit and re-lite it food has been wasted. Right now it is not very dependable. I believe it needs to have the burner cleaned and a new thermocoupler and they are impossible to find for this model.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:23 PM   #5

Name: Ryan
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 16- side bath
Virginia
I bet there is an alarm out there that would beep when your fridge gets above a certain temp- that way you would know when it cuts off.
As for a thermocouple-- I could be mistaken but I am pretty sure you could a universal thermocouple to work with it.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:19 PM   #6

Registry
Wow, this is old. Since it was posted I have purchased a brand new Norcold N400 4.5 cu ft Propane/110 and a used Waeco 12v 1.7 cu ft. LOL, I have a fridge surplus at the moment, just need to figure/make up my mind which way to go. I do prefer the 12v route but would like a bigger fridge. I have solar and am about to purchase 2 6v golf cart batteries so won't have any problem with power.

Tags
fridge