Wanted: Scamp 13' Front Overhead Cabinet - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-10-2014, 06:15 PM   #1

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Wanted: Scamp 13' Front Overhead Cabinet

Hello Everyone,
I'm interested in purchasing a front overhead cabinet for my 2012 13' Scamp. From what I've read, the Scamp can't be too old that the cabinet comes out of, or it might not fit. I would assume anything 2006 or older might not work due to Scamp factory fire?
Trying to save on shipping...a new cabinet from Scamp itself isn't too bad, but I think they gave me an estimate of 200 -300 to crate and ship it. Hoping to hear from someone in NY or nearby PA, so's I could take a little road trip.
Anywho, probably a long shot, but like NY lottery says, "Hey, ya never know."
Thank you very much!

CampyTime

Old 02-10-2014, 06:43 PM   #2

Name: Lil
Trailer: '84 13' Scamp & '14 homebuilt Benroy Teardrop
Minnesota
Registry
Just last fall, I had a front overhead cabinet installed in my '84 Scamp at the factory in Backus. It fit just fine, so I think that the year might not matter.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:25 PM   #3

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Long shot suggestion:

There's a thread running right now started by a Member who's from Vermont and getting ready to go to Backus and pick up his brand new Scamp. Would that put you sort of in between those two places?

If so, it might be worth asking if he'd have room to bring the cupboard along when he comes back your way... Link to thread
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:57 PM   #4

New York
Registry
Hey Francesca,
Long shot opportunity knocked (thanks to you) and I took it! I just PM'd the gentleman and tried not to sound like a weirdo or stalker I would think they'd need to come up through NY a bit (Schenectady) and all they can say is no, so my hat's off to you for being so observing and sweet to mention it!
Thank you also Lil, for your information. Traveling to Backus will be out for me this summer as first, I need a new tow vehicle to make a trip like that, second, because I need a new tow vehicle, I be broke. Have to save my pennies up as I only just paid off the loan for my Scamp with my tax return. Yee Hah...one debt down, more to come. Next it will be the washer and dryer....

Wendy
Old 02-10-2014, 07:59 PM   #5

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil M. View Post
Just last fall, I had a front overhead cabinet installed in my '84 Scamp at the factory in Backus. It fit just fine, so I think that the year might not matter.
Actually you do need to be a bit careful with some of the older trailers. A party picked up two new overhead bins from Scamp last year for his older scamp - sorry can't recall the year but it was one of the early ones. When in place the bins had very large gaps around the edges - way more than snugging up the rivets would fix. You should have no problems though with a Scamp that has rat fur and foil insulation on the walls with fitting them though, as the ones that did not work on the old Scamp did fit my 1992.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 01:07 PM   #6

New York
Registry
No luck with that couple going to Scamp factory.Carol. Thank you so much for the referral dear. They head through Canada and will not be near me at all. I'm thinking maybe some folks from ny might hit that Scamp rally at Hudson this year and some might have parts to sell? Only guessing here. Probably end up biting the bullet and paying the 185 to ship. Ouch! Since it's a front cab area I can't do the closet maid shelf thingie as there's no place to anchor to on door side.

Warmly,
Wendy
Old 02-22-2014, 02:38 PM   #7

British Columbia
Registry
[QUOTE=CampyTime;442964Ouch! Since it's a front cab area I can't do the closet maid shelf thingie as there's no place to anchor to on door side.

Warmly,
Wendy[/QUOTE]

Well you will need to rivet the new overhead bin into place - 4 rivets on the top lip and 4 rivets on the bottom one. . So having to put a couple of rivets through the shell to hold up the closet maid shelf isn't really that much different - actually better as it would take fewer rivets.
Old 02-22-2014, 02:52 PM   #8

New York
Registry
Hi Carol,
I don't understand how you'd fasten a wire shelf with rivets? The slots between the wires? It never occurred to use rivets with wire shelving. All I've seen posted is by Dave and he did it in the rear between his two side cabs which I get. He used angle aluminum. But what were you thinking to make it work in the front?

Highly interested!

Wendy
Old 02-22-2014, 05:53 PM   #9

British Columbia
Registry
Well Wendy I haven't done it so can't point you to any particular way to do it but pretty sure there are several ways to do it. There are a number of different types of hardware used on the ends of the wire shelfs to attach them to drywall. You could just use rivets to secure that hardware to the trailer rather than screws. Another might be to rivet a piece of wood to each side of the trailer to use for the wall mounting hardware - but if I was considering such an addition I would probable fiberglass a piece of wood in behind the rat fur for that purpose.

If you google this site I bet you will find a photo of someone having installed the wire shelves at the front of the trailer.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:58 PM   #10

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I used loop clamps to secure wire baskets to wood or drawer slides so they could be used to attach a wire shelf. Look them up at McMaster Carr if you don't know what they are.
Old 02-23-2014, 05:37 PM   #11

New York
Registry
Hi Bob,
I did look those up on McMaster Carr and ordered a couple of packs (5 in a pack, 3/16") in the aluminum. I think those would work great for the wire shelf. A friend of mine feels that it might offer more storage than an overhead cabinet, so I'll have the hardware if we decided to do that. I certainly like the price a whole lot better! I went to Homey D today and I think I like the 16" depth wire shelf...offers a bit more than the 12." The 20" depth is too "wide" I feel, which may pose a bump of knowledge to ye ole' noggin (especially for me after a beer or two)
Old 02-23-2014, 08:28 PM   #12

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyTime View Post
Hi Bob,
I did look those up on McMaster Carr and ordered a couple of packs (5 in a pack, 3/16") in the aluminum. I think those would work great for the wire shelf. A friend of mine feels that it might offer more storage than an overhead cabinet, so I'll have the hardware if we decided to do that. I certainly like the price a whole lot better! I went to Homey D today and I think I like the 16" depth wire shelf...offers a bit more than the 12." The 20" depth is too "wide" I feel, which may pose a bump of knowledge to ye ole' noggin (especially for me after a beer or two)
Cool glad you cam up with a fairly easy and less costly option.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:11 PM   #13

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Wendy; you probably ordered the 8863T51 clamps, I like the "cushioned" vinyl coated ones, 8863T23. Over the years I've accumulated a couple boxes of various sizes of that type clamp, but sometimes still don't have the right size. Best thing may be make a cardboard mock-up of the shelf before you buy one to get shape and size.

Tags
scamp