Wanted: UHaul Parts for CT-13 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-25-2014, 07:30 AM   #1

Name: Pat
Trailer: UHaul CT-13 1984
Minnesota
Wanted: UHaul Parts for CT-13

UHaul Parts Wanted

I recently purchased a UHaul CT-13 from a great couple in WI. Overall, the trailer is in almost original condition, with only a few modifications being made by the various previous owners.

So.... I am looking for ANY UHaul parts you may have that you are willing to part with (pun intended). Please e-mail or post here. In particular I am looking for the following:

Rear and front storage bin inserts (I have an '84 - so it didn't come with any)
Original stove (mine is in tough shape)
Door hinges (door sages a little and the previous owner mentioned he had trouble with the lower hinge)
UHaul Embossed Hubcaps
Front Window Rock Guard (it looks like mine never had one installed)
Utility Door (water / electrical access)
Any other part you may have that I don't know I need

Thanks
Pat

Old 05-25-2014, 07:51 AM   #2

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 28' Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Oak Park, IL
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Welcome, Pat. You will love your new toy! Some folks have changed parts of their CTs and may have what you are looking for. The hubcaps are hard to find but may be on eBay at times. The rock guards are rarer than hens teeth (at least one someone will part with). However, fixes are possible with newer standard parts which are actually better than original. There are new replacement hinges, too. Have fun looking and fixing.

Old 05-25-2014, 11:12 AM   #3

Name: Patti
Trailer: 1984 UHaul CT13
Colorado
Registry
Welcome Pat!!
you will love your new toy.
Old 05-25-2014, 12:30 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Pat; join the Uhaul Facebook group for info. Our 84 came with only 2 of the storage bins. I line those areas with carpet and it gives much more storage space. Our stove was in bad shape too. I discovered that rain will blow in the outside range hood vent and drip on the stove. We have since removed the stove and use that space for storage. You should be able to find a replacement that will fit. Door hinges are available. Forget the hubcaps, you can get plain ones that will fit. We are using a set of old Toyota hubcaps off a 91 Corolla that I was scrapping. Ours does not have the rock guard either. For the electrical access door you'll have to make one or adapt something similar to fit
Old 05-25-2014, 12:47 PM   #5

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Does the U-Haul front window use a different seal than a Scamp?

Pat, if it uses the same let us know if you want us to fetch one from Scamp for you.

Nancy
Old 05-25-2014, 03:18 PM   #6

Minnesota
Thanks everyone. I am very excited to own "Eggbert" (at least I think that's what we are going to call him).

My wife definitely wants the rear right storage liner... She doesn't want to store anything in it otherwise. Actually, all of the storage areas are dusty, but should clean up fine.

Nancy: I am still researching the front window so I have no idea what will work and what won't. Thanks got the offer.

Still trying yo decide what to do.... Keep Eggbert original or customize him?
Old 05-25-2014, 04:43 PM   #7

Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
Does the U-Haul front window use a different seal than a Scamp?

Pat, if it uses the same let us know if you want us to fetch one from Scamp for you.

Nancy
DO NOT!!! use the Scamp seal on a Uhaul. I installed a Scamp rear window and one side window in our Uhaul. Initially put them in using the foam tape that Scamp sent with the windows. Couldn't get them to draw in tight and they leaked. Had to pull them back out and use butyl tape. Scamp side windows do not fit right into a Uhaul, there are better options there. A Scamp rear window can be made to fit by slightly enlarging the opening.
Old 05-25-2014, 04:48 PM   #8

New York
Rear storage, I removed the water tank in the left rear and have one of those Rubbermaid Action Packer storage tubs in there, the 8 gallon size. It should fit in the right rear too but I haven't tried it. Sign up on the Uhaul Facebook site, good info there from Uhaul owners that aren't on this site.
Old 05-25-2014, 05:37 PM   #9

Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Registry
Welcome to the group! I'm another happy UH owner!

Maybe before you spent $$ sourcing out original parts, you might want to attend a rally to see what others have done to their campers. And check them out in this group too. There are so many upgrades out there such as smev/dometic cooktops, and wave heaters, that you might find something you like even better than the originals.

These units really hold their value whether or not they are 'original' or not, so you will have a really great time making this your own! And either way you choose, original or not, you're going to have a great time making camping memories.

If you have photos, we'd love to them.
Old 05-25-2014, 10:00 PM   #10

Minnesota
Pam: I attended an "egg" rally a few weeks ago and it was great fun looking at everyone's trailers. I will be attending the Egg Harbor event in June.

This is one of my dilemmas, keep it original or modify it. I plan to use the trailer and not sell it any time soon. On the other hand, I don't want to do any mods that will significantly reduce the resale vale.

My plan mods include installing an A/C unit and converting the front bunk into a front dinette (which can be used as a bed at night). The rear dinette will stay made up as a bed for my wife and the dogs.
Old 05-28-2014, 11:27 AM   #11

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
Just to add my 2 worth... I'm the owner of an '83 Burro, the direct ancestor of your U-Haul, so I am facing many of the same challenges you face. I agree with Pam G. that originality doesn't carry the same cachet that it does on other types of vehicles and can be trumped by utility and upgrades.

The hubcaps are an issue you might want to reconsider. The "common wisdom" is that U-Haul removed the hubcaps so that there would be easier access to the lug nuts, which should be checked for tightness every time you hook up to travel. (OK, I admit I don't do it as often as I should, but "Do as I say...")

I found one of the original stoves on this forum. It was being discarded, and although I have it installed in the gaping hole my Burro came with, it's never been hooked up to the gas. I find a 13 footer a little cramped for much cooking and use a Camp Chef™ stove and oven unit on a table outside of the Burro whenever the weather allows.

Your door sag problem may be with the frame/trailer body rather than the hinge. The PO of my Burro inlet some reinforcing in the body casting so the hinges would have a solid base to which they mount... problem solved!

If you still have the "Swamp Cooler" air conditioner mounted, be aware that in most places where it will be used, it will be pretty ineffective. It simply works by evaporation of a water supply, which in a high humidity environment doesn't do very well. I have a FanTastic™ fan unit that will probably go in sometime in the future, but a simple vent gets the job done most of the time.

I would suggest you go through the archives here for some really neat photos and suggestions showing what other folks have done with their FGRVs (not just U-Hauls & Burros, either.) I plan to do a bunch of them as soon as I can get "a round tuit."

Regards,
Froggie

PS Upon rereading your last post, I am also converting the front bench to a mini-dinette. I camp alone, and for one or two people, I think it will be a great solution to space allocation. As for the AC... I've never seen one small enough to not overwhelm the weight of the little 13 footer yet large enough to really benefit. As stated above, a fan is my solution. I even got one of those 12 volt units that plugs into a cigarette lighter and can be placed strategically with the included clip-on base wherever it is needed.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:29 PM   #12

I bought new channel for the windows in my Uhaul, but I had to buy 100'. It was tough to track down, but works well. Now I have about 80' of extra channel!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 10-19-2014, 09:39 PM   #13

Minnesota
Spoanecamper: you may want to post it on the Parts For Sale Forum - I am sure someone needs it. I still have a few feet left over, but plan to keep it just in case I need it someday. Next Spring I need to reseal the front window and redo the door window - both leaks.

Tags
uhaul