Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
apparently pdfs don't show up on the Ipad so don't know if others can view
Michael J.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:27 PM   #16

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeyer View Post
apparently pdfs don't show up on the Ipad so don't know if others can view
Michael J.
I was able to view it on my iPad. However without someone doing further research some of the info may be misleading. A couple examples I noticed, one of them is two different numbers for the side window weatherstrip, and each of those two have different dimensions. The other example is the Scamp rear window as a replacement for the Uhaul rear window, it will fit but the opening has to be modified along with the clamp ring. Should this information be noted so that everyone will be aware of what is involved in these repairs?

Old 01-10-2013, 01:46 PM   #17

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
Bob are you using the IPad app or Safari? As for the difference in weatherstrip I did not see any difference between what I took out and put in and I used the larger one. It could be that the VT used a different one from the Ct as it was only for the kick out window. The door window weatherstrip on the VT is a totally different animal with a built in lock strip. It appears that both types have been used successfully as indicated will put in the notes as to size. Also notes as to Scamp window modifications if you would care to share particulars. Any other comments welcome as I just want to get this in one place and not depend on memories of members.
Michael J
Old 01-10-2013, 01:56 PM   #18

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Great job, Mike.

I defer to Bob on the right weather strip for the side windows. I used what was recommended originally, but I think Bob has refined that recommendation with a better alternative.

Re the UHaul hubs, they are available at auto parts stores as part Timken # 513090, used on early 2000's Camaro and Firebird.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:17 PM   #19

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Michael, I'm NOT using the app, I have this site bookmarked, probably originally through safari. Here's what I know about the weatherstrip. The trailer wall, and the window lip that sets in the weatherstrip both measure 3/16" thick. The original Uhaul weatherstrip had one groove 3/16" wide, the other 1/4" wide. This is the way the AS 1456 is made. I can not find any weatherstrip that has both grooves 3/16", and apparently none was available when the trailers were built. When I installed my NOS window with the AS 1456 I put the 3/16" grove over the fiberglass. I found that originally one window was installed that way, the other had the 3/16" groove on the window, probably the installer just grabbed the weatherstrip and installed it however with no set procedure. The emergency window of course was installed with the pull out lock strip, and for some reason the other was installed with the fold out lock strip type. I don't know why that was done as the AS 1456 can be used for either window and I believe it will also work on the door window. There is one issue with the currently available weatherstrip in that it is not as wide as the original, and there are two 1/8" drilled holes on the top lip of the window frame that are not covered, therefore they have to be sealed closed with some type of sealant. As for the Scamp rear window installation, the Uhaul opening has to be widened slightly, about 1" overall, the supplied clamp ring has to be put on backwards, and a very important note is to NOT use the foam strip that is supplied with the window, but use butyl tape instead. I used the foam strip, it leaked, and I had to pull the window and start over with the butyl tape. One other thing I forgot to mention was that Perfectfit recommends the AS 789 lock strip be used with the 1456 weatherstrip. Obtaining replacement windows is a big issue, I never found a place that was reasonably priced, but another member here is now waiting on info from a eBay seller that can custom make windows that are affordable. Once that happens successfully we will want to get that info on record. You have a great idea to get all this information in one place, several times I have wanted to go back and find some bit of info but can't remember who posted it or in what thread. Kirkman (Jason) had posted the supplier of his Uhaul windows, and I can't find that info, and another member just asked about using a Trimark latch and I know I read something about what one will work, but can't remember what or where I saw it. I've installed a Scamp side window in our CT, but it required fabricating a filler piece, so I wouldn't recommend doing it to anyone else. Thanks for your time and effort on this. Bob
Old 01-10-2013, 09:35 PM   #20

Name: Robert
Trailer: CT13
Indiana
I have ordered the window but will not receive it until Feb when production is started up. I will pass along that he can only make 3 5/16 inch radius windows. I went ahead and ordered it but would caution anyone else from going this route until I have received the window and posted the results results.

Tags
windows