Wanted: WTB danfoss compressor fridge - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-21-2016, 12:48 PM   #1

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Boler 1974 13 ft
Florida
WTB danfoss compressor fridge

I am looking for a used fridge/freezer to put in my camper. It must be able to run on 12v. Prefer the top opening chest style with a danfoss compressor.

Sent from my C6530N using Fiberglass RV mobile app

Old 03-21-2016, 01:41 PM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Scamp
Idaho
Registry
You may find that a used Engel, Dometic, or other expensive brand will cost more than a new Edgestar. I have the 63 quart model, and I'm thrilled with it. 11 months of continuous operation so far.
Good luck in your search.

Gordon

Old 03-21-2016, 02:12 PM   #3

Florida
Thanks, it's nice to hear a good report on Edgestar. I have not heard the best about them....Do you travel much? And where did you get yours?(if you don't mind saying)

Old 03-21-2016, 05:01 PM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Scamp
Idaho
Registry
Lisa,
I got mine from LivingDirect (best price I could find). Most complaints I've read concern the cheap 12v plug that is provided. I agree with those complaints, and I cut it off and hard-wired it to my fuse block on a 10 amp fuse.
I wouldn't say I travel great distances, but the roads I travel on weekly are more like trails, with deep wash-outs and wash-boarding. The fridge is strapped down to the floor from the handles. I learned the hard way that I can't carry any glass containers.
So, I can testify that my Edgestar can take a beating!

Gordon
Old 03-27-2016, 10:05 PM   #5

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
I bought a reconditioned Colman freezer cooler with the 12V and 110 options. Colean had dropped it by the time we bought ours off Amazon. It worked fantastic for several years even being pressed into duty as a auxiliary freezer in the house for 2 of those years, and it worked nicely in the power port of the rental van for the month long camping trip I took with the grandkids in 2007 but when we were camping outside Boston in 2011 it rained while were gone from the campsite We came back to find it sitting in a puddle and not working. We bought a replacement 12 volt inverter but it ran "hot" and I didn't like using it unless I was present to keep an eye on it. We bought a so-called camping van in 2012 that had an a/c outlet inside and made an experiment with plugging in the Coleman and it blew a huge cloud of black smoke out. Never could find anyone interested in repairing it. Yes, I would definitely buy it again. Oh, it had a slightly different type of engine called a Stirling cycle. On another note- edgestar made my all-in-one European-style combo washer /dryer which we have had in our stick house for over a decade now- fit nicely in the dishwasher footprint- we got a rare Vented model, most are ventless but we were working with a SMALL septic tank. The only tie I had to call a repairman was when it stopped rotating - repairman had tto laugh when he pulled it out from the wall-I had to pay a $65 service fee for him to slip a belt back in place that had got loose. I would say that's a pretty good record.
Old 03-28-2016, 08:04 AM   #6

Florida
Thank you for sharing your experiences. I am gaining confidence in the Edgestar brand!

Tags
fridge