A Correction - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2008, 12:59 AM   #1

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Question

Your website needs to add Tom Young's Trillium website to your list of trailers.

http://www.trilliumrv.com/

And while we are at it, the Trillium link you do have is NOT a Trillium, it is an Outback. Tom bought the rights to the name Trillium.

Just trying to set the record straight.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 08:47 AM   #2
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Hi, Roger. I moved your topic to the Feedback to the Webmaster section, where it'll be noticed more quickly by the folks who take care of the Helpful-Links and List of Brands. Thanks for the heads up!
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 03:36 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 13 ft Trillium (USA)
Roger, good going and way da be observant....since we plan on buying a real Trillium from Tom Young, I wouldn't want the Outback to Outclass our Trillium. The Outback is indeed made by Team Trillium but is an Outback and nothing else. It does not have the rights to the name Trillium.

Thank you for clearing this up and I look forward to seeing Trilliumrv.com listed on this website.

Lloyd
lloyd cicetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 04:09 PM   #4

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Well, the Outback uses the original Trillium molds as does the new Trillium. There are many variants of Boler's with different names but we recognize the original body molds. I feel it is fair (naming aside) to recoginze the Outback as what it is, a new variant of the Trillium 1300.

I am not sure what you mean by 'wouldn't want the Outback to Outclass our Trillium'. My understanding is the Outback's are well built trailers and have their own distinctive interior styling and appliances. It looks like Tom's (based on the pictures on the site) will have yet another distintive fitout. In any case, we should be happy that we have so many choices of small trailers again.
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 05:31 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 13 ft Trillium (USA)
Quote:
Well, the Outback uses the original Trillium molds as does the new Trillium. There are many variants of Boler's with different names but we recognize the original body molds. I feel it is fair (naming aside) to recoginze the Outback as what it is, a new variant of the Trillium 1300.

I am not sure what you mean by 'wouldn't want the Outback to Outclass our Trillium'. My understanding is the Outback's are well built trailers and have their own distinctive interior styling and appliances. It looks like Tom's (based on the pictures on the site) will have yet another distintive fitout. In any case, we should be happy that we have so many choices of small trailers again.
Booker, I shoudn't imply that Outbacks are not Trilliums based on your information about molds. I stand corrected. I cannot say that Outbacks "outclass" Trilliums since I have not seen one. I am just happy that Roger clarified that this website didn't recognize Trilliumrv.com as a manufacturer. It only listed the Outback as a manufacturer of the Trillium. I agree, we should all be happy that there continues to be more choices for us to choose from including the new Escape models in 13 foot and 15 foot lengths.

Thanks for the clarification. I got over zealous thinking about purchasing our first fiberglass rv.

Lloyd

lloyd cicetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 06:18 PM   #6

Registry
Unhappy

Just like Charmin Facial Tissues don't want to be called "Kleenex", name recognition is important in any business, so important, in fact, that Tom actually had to pay money in order to use the name "Trillium" on his trailers. As enthusiasts of this special type of product, I think it behooves us to use the correct, legal name.

Actually, I have had experience in calling things by their correct name. One of my tasks in my former job as an engineering technician was to write instructions how to use the tools we designed based on the testing instructions in engineering documents. I found it very difficult to understand what was being said when the name of a component became names, eg hydraulic cylinders were at various times called actuators and other things. It was difficult to write instructions not knowing just what was being said in a document. So I am more sensitive to such things than the average bear.

I also know how easy it is to slip into various name usage, for I have done it myself many times. I had to always review what I wrote to weed out these types of errors. I know just what you are thinking, "Oh God, not another engineer on the website!"

Thanks for an interesting discussion.

Old 09-20-2008, 07:06 PM   #7

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
We are happy to add Toms "Trillium RV" website to our links, with a sub clarification that they are a USA based company. However, the people that make Canadian Outbacks still seem to retain the name "Team Trillium", as noted in several references in their websites, their URL name, as well as complete page titles within it. Their company name is Team Trillium Trailer Manufacturing Ltd and that is how we list the manufacturers, not by the models they produce. Check the Wiescraft link.. they make Little Joes, not Wiescraft trailers.

There is ambiguity here with the Trillium term. FBRV is not the rightful source to clarify the ambiguities or debate the legalities of any manufacturers name.

As an engineering tech (A title and position I still hold) you should be painfully aware that even tho something seems obvious, it requires absolute clarification from a proven, documented, and in this case, a legal and rightful source before it can go down in print. There may be many factors involved that we are unaware of and we will make no assumptions.

Tom Young is a member here. He and his partners are valued, and they are more than welcome to contact us to make the clarifications and then we would be happy to do so.

We would be doing a disservice to all the manufacturers involved to forge ahead and change names, and make assumptions on legal naming rights. It is not our place to do so. We are not lawyers. We are campers.

Both links have the correct company name as of now. We invite input from either of the two companies on the matter.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 09:58 PM   #8

Registry
Question

Whoa! I didn't mean to start a brouhaha here, just to point out that there are differences. I am sure that Team Trillium wouldn't want us to call their product a Trillium when it is named Outback.

(BTW the reason the link does not go through to trilliumrv.com is that it is spelled triliumrv.com.)