Annoying Pop-Up on the bottom of each page. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2019, 08:29 AM   #1

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Annoying Pop-Up on the bottom of each page.

What is this silly translucent white pop-up running along the bottom of the page? It has only started very recently. It pops up after logging in, and it pops up on every new page I visit on this site. There is absolutely no writing on it. The only thing visible on it is the close out "X" in the upper right corner. Other than that, there is nothing else on it. It is very annoying. Please get rid of this annoying feature.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 08:32 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
What is this silly translucent white pop-up running along the bottom of the page? It has only started very recently. It pops up after logging in, and it pops up on every new page I visit on this site. There is absolutely no writing on it. The only thing visible on it is the close out "X" in the upper right corner. Other than that, there is nothing else on it. It is very annoying. Please get rid of this annoying feature.
On my Mac there is an ad in the box. This one is for a Chevy Equinox...

Also on the Escape Forum -
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 08:54 AM   #3

Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I'm guessing it's not a "feature" but part of the advertising that pays for this site. Since the alternative is a subscription fee, I guess I don't mind closing out ad windows. As to why yours doesn't have any content, it probably has to do with your browser and settings, or maybe it's just loading slowly.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 11:12 AM   #4

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I'm guessing it's not a "feature" but part of the advertising that pays for this site. Since the alternative is a subscription fee, I guess I don't mind closing out ad windows. As to why yours doesn't have any content, it probably has to do with your browser and settings, or maybe it's just loading slowly.
Or maybe my Ad Blockers, which I'm certainly not getting rid of or turning off. If I wanted to see that unsolicited kind of stuff I wouldn't have Ad Blockers.

I understand that advertising pays for a lot towards keeping this site free, but I'm still not a fan of intrusive pop-up ads.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 03:18 PM   #5

Name: Jim
Trailer: Current: Carson, In the market
Arizona
If Pop-up ads pay for site, why so many trackers?

The ads are pretty understandable, but why are there so many trackers?

Not everyone needs to know of my fiberglass fetish.

Jim
JimMcBride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 03:36 PM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I see it also when visiting this site. Just a transparent white box with an X. CasitaForum is still ad free, and appears to be the only rv forum that still is. Hopefully Gene can keep it that way with support from his members for years to come.
Jimmy J is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 04:48 PM   #7

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
My box was white when the ad blocker was active. Disabled it and I now see it is Ads By Google. Advertising is one thing.. and necessary. Pop ups are very annoying and I have stopped visiting many other sites which over do it with the pop ups. There comes a point when the advertising is so intrusive that it drives away viewers, and then they need more advertising to make up for the loss in traffic.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 07:21 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
This is an ad that does go towards funding this site. It is a regular daily screen. Easy to dismiss it for the day if you click on the X. If it looks blank, it is definitely because of an ad blocker used.

Now, if it would just help pay moderators salary. Oh wait, we don't get one.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 02:32 AM   #9

Name: Duane
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
New Brunswick
Those of you who use You Tube will see a pop up asking you to pay extra to see all content free of ads. I do find these ad interruptions very annoying while viewing a post and I remember when there were none shown at all ! Duane
getaway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 06:24 AM   #10

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by getaway1 View Post
Those of you who use You Tube will see a pop up asking you to pay extra to see all content free of ads. I do find these ad interruptions very annoying while viewing a post and I remember when there were none shown at all ! Duane
Duane, once you clear it, it will not show any further that day, and will not be seen when viewing posts.

Heck, I get it too, and a second to clear it once I have looked at it if I wish to, and gone for the day.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 05:48 PM   #11

Name: JJ
Trailer: Perris Pacer
Oregon
thanks
Jenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 08:16 PM   #12

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
WOW! Is all I can say. This is not a criticism of this site only, but most forums. As more and more ads are added to youtube videos, I've had to find a workaround. Suddenly, 78% (to make up a number) were a completely black box. Nothing in there, no video. I googled it, and it turns out if I'm running an ad blocker, some videos with ads won't show up. Just a black screen.

So I've gotten into the habit of briefly disabling my ad blocker when I click a video I want to watch, and find only a black screen. That solves it.

But holy cow, sometimes I forget to turn it right back on after watching the video. Have you ever tried to look at this site, or many other forums, with no ad blocker? I'm not going to say it isn't possible, but I'm willing to say it isn't possible for me.

I say without sarcasm that I truly hope this annoyance allows the site owners a very comfortable living, and allows them to fairly compensate admins for their service. Because otherwise, what are we doing?
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 09:48 PM   #13

Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Didn’t used to be any ads on the FGRV app (stopped using it about a year ago so may have changed) and only one banner ad on the mobile skin version, not too intrusive. I only go to the full website when I need features that aren’t available on the app or mobile skin.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 09:30 AM   #14

Montana
Here's what my screen looks like when I disable the ad blocker. I'm sure it's different depending on what browser and search engine you use, and your internet habits.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 8.28.18 AM.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	175.6 KB
ID:	139013

Yes, please, advertise to me! I'm a "consumer"!

And yes, that box currently advertising Spectrum inserted between posts is a constantly playing video.

Thank god (lower case g) for ad blockers.
Old 01-06-2021, 09:58 AM   #15

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
So many sites have given over their "content" to ads that have made it difficult to use them.
CNN is almost unusable on my laptop.
This site is irritating and I find that I look at it less and less.
Soon it will be never again.
I have finished my Scamp and while I like to try to help out others here with suggestions, it is getting to be not worth the bother.

I hope the owners of the site enjoy their ad revenue and maybe it will also produce (magically) the content people want to see and read.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 01:37 PM   #16

Montana
News sites are among the worst.

It's a tough one for me. I get that you need to keep the lights on, and I'm all for the people putting time into this site getting reimbursed for that. But there's got to be a balance...

Maybe the balance is provided by my ad blocker
Old 01-06-2021, 04:11 PM   #17

Name: Tom
Trailer: BigFoot 25B25RT
Massachusetts
UBlock Origin

I have installed UBlock Origin and it corrects 95%+ of ad problems. If you are using Google chrome maybe think again. All of their money comes from advertising soo they don't help.

I use bing and firefox Ublock is installed on bing and then if there is something that won't work I switch to un blocked firefox.
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote