Cool Way to Quickly Resize Photos - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-15-2008, 01:50 PM   #15
Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
I'm not talking just about how many pixels. But reducing the number of pixels in a picture without changing it's physical size. You can have a picture that's 4X6 and 300 DPI which will have a large file size. Or you can have a 4X6 72 DPI picture that has a small file size. We'd prefer the 72 dpi pictures.

I'm sure you've noticed pictures that are physically small but have large file sizes on this forum.

I just tested a couple of pictures a 4x6 picture at 300 dpi (print quality) is 6 meg. The exact same picture 4x6 at 72 dpi (screen quality) is 365 kb.

Did you view the 4x6 picture at 300 dpi on a computer screen?
If it's viewed at full size it'll be bigger than the screen and you'll need to scroll to see all of it.
Do you have the ability to see the actual pixel size of the two versions? If so take a look.

DPI = Dots Per Inch such as a printer can print 1200 dpi or 300 dpi. Meaning the spacing between ink dots is decreased as the number gets bigger and dots get smaller. I therefore can print a picture of some size like 4x6 with different resolutions by telling the printer what to do.

Computer screen has a resolution of n pixels x n pixels. A digital photo is measured in the same way, by size (number of pixels high x number of pixels wide). Therefore for digital pictures the only thing that matters for size is pixels. The file size in a jpeg can further be controlled by the amount of compression.

I think a long time ago with dot matrix printers a lot of confusion was generated.

Byron & Anne enjoying the everyday Saturday thing.
Byron Kinnaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 02:41 PM   #16
Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Let's take a look at your screen shots.

The first one at 2400 pixels wide. 8" wide 2400/8 = 300dpi.
Let's do the same thing for the next one 576 pixels / 8" = 72dpi

1 dot = 1 pixel.

Therefore to make the size of a picture proper for your computer screen no matter how you go about it you change the number of pixels, which changes the file size. The only exception is amount of compression. Even with a lot of compression the pixel width and height are the same.

Byron & Anne enjoying the everyday Saturday thing.
Byron Kinnaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 06:02 AM   #17
Trailer: 1979 Trillium and 1989 Bigfoot (named 'Swanky')
Send a message via AIM to Donna R
I'm certainly not very technical , but I have been using this free progrram
for years and find it very easy. It also has other features that act as a mini mini photoshop.
Anyone else use this and are there any problems with this freeware that I don't realize?
Donna R
Donna R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 07:55 AM   #18
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
From one Donna to another , and everyone else, here's some more information about Irfanview in Photo Upload Tutorial, How Tos
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 03:21 AM   #19
Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Some options/alternatives for consideration...

An excellent FREE software program. Has a lot of features including size reduction. The object addition feature is also quite good. I use it to add comments to photos. Does require an additional program download.

Another rather simplistic solution is to email the original photo file to yourself using hotmail or gmail. Both programs will automatically reduce the size...
The resulting reductions by these two programs may not be exactly what you want in "quality" but they do work well and result in quickly reducing photo size that can be used in some situations.
Norris Jeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 10:44 AM   #20
Trailer: 2006 (25B21RB) 21 ft Bigfoot / Dodge 2500 Diesel
That's what resizing does. Reduces the number of pixels hence file size.
Donna and Byron, I guess you probably know that you are both right. Byron, your technical examples point out your understanding. However, Donna is correct by asking members to not just simple resize their image but to also make sure the resolution is reduced.

In Photoshop CS4 (the standard professional editor), when you resize an image you do not change the pixel height and width unless you have selected the ‘resample image when resizing’ option. With the ‘resample image’ option set to off, the file size would not change when the image size is changed. So Donna’s point is absolutely correct, “Please make sure the image is resampled when you resize it”.

So, resizing does not reduce the number of pixels or file size, if that option is not enabled.

I would agree that 72 dpi for the internet is a good choice.

Dean & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote