email harvest/breakin? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2017, 07:04 PM   #1

Name: Elliott
Trailer: Bigfoot
Everywhere
email harvest/breakin?

On the 28th, I received a scam email to an address I've used only for signing up for this forum. Any chance that someone either broke into the server or managed to persuade the forums? Or, maybe more likely, someone has broken into your bulk email provider or account to harvest the addresses (looks like CriticalImpact?)
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:48 AM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
span

I get them all the time but my wallet got stolen in Europe in Italy. I just pay no attention!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 11:34 AM   #3

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
I think that to some extent it's just part of doing business online. If there were an actual hack, you'd be getting worse than one spam email. I don't know what type of security they use here but in general, it seems like if you've got your email out there online somewhere, you're going to get some spam/scams here and there.

I'm sure that's not an answer that really satisfies anyone, but...
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 05:14 PM   #4
Administrator

Trailer: Argosy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defenestrator View Post
On the 28th, I received a scam email to an address I've used only for signing up for this forum. Any chance that someone either broke into the server or managed to persuade the forums? Or, maybe more likely, someone has broken into your bulk email provider or account to harvest the addresses (looks like CriticalImpact?)

We are not aware of any breach and have had no other reports. We take security seriously however and so if you want to forward the mail to the help desk we can take a look. support@ fiberglassrv.com
It's possible that you might have been a victim of a sniffer however. E-mail can be sort of hijacked mid stream and info collected and then reused.

https://www.lifewire.com/definition-of-sniffer-817996
Old 10-05-2017, 08:58 PM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
Most of the time this nonsense occurs I run a hard boot on my computer it takes a lot of it out!

might try that

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 06:41 PM   #6

Name: Elliott
Trailer: Bigfoot
Everywhere
Update: the spam is now the "we cracked your password" variety. Specifically just the email used for this forum and no others, so rather unlikely that it's some variety of sniffer or client-side compromise. Looks like vbulletin 3 uses just a single salted round of MD5 (ouch.. ), so chances are someone got ahold of the whole database at some point.

I think it's about time for Social Knowledge to follow Verticalscope's lead and move to Xenforo and SSL.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 09:09 PM   #7

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
my browser is indicating that this website is not a secure connection.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 09:13 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
my browser is indicating that this website is not a secure connection.

Will a scammer steal your ideas?
Old 10-25-2019, 10:13 PM   #9

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Someone out there told every Medicare Advantage marketing group in the world when I turned 64 1/2! Talk about suddenly being inundated with "spam" mailings, phone calls, e-mails, texts, social media advertising, etc., etc. I made my choice long ago, but it just keeps coming. I wish a hard re-boot would shut all that stuff off!
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 06:24 AM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Someone out there told every Medicare Advantage marketing group in the world when I turned 64 1/2! Talk about suddenly being inundated with "spam" mailings, phone calls, e-mails, texts, social media advertising, etc., etc. I made my choice long ago, but it just keeps coming. I wish a hard re-boot would shut all that stuff off!
Don't worry, you'll get another chance next year to change your mind and every year there after! It won't stop as long as there's an open enrollment period every year. All those carriers think you may change your mind. So every year you're going to be inundated with junk mail. Don't ask me how I know
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 10:15 AM   #11

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
I don't know about you guys....but.....I am rich now....some guy from India just sent me an email saying that there is $5million waiting for me...all I have to do is send them $500 for processing my payment. I think I will buy a new tow vehicle and Casita....when I get my money....can't wait!
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 07:27 PM   #12

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Don't worry, you'll get another chance next year to change your mind and every year there after! It won't stop as long as there's an open enrollment period every year. All those carriers think you may change your mind. So every year you're going to be inundated with junk mail. Don't ask me how I know
Donna D, I have always found your posts to be uplifting, often bringing a smile to my face - until this one.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote