Escape-Casita-Scamp Spreadsheet - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-06-2006, 10:11 AM   #15
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: Escape 21; (formerly Casita LD 17 & 16)
Texas
Registry
It'll have to be sent to us (probably as email), so we can compile it and upload it, making the Brand name a hot link.

The finished product(s) will be similar to the Tutorials or Helpful-Links documents... (That section of the website has a different structure than the forums.)

Or, maybe we should post some kind of template, to get folks started? (Any ideas on what you would like for it to include?)

Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 10:20 AM   #16

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
I think it's really important that the information only contain the stuff that would be stock from the factory. Modifications are all well and good but wouldn't be much help to someone who knows nothing about these trailers and is looking to make a purchase. In fact, if the information was skewed with modifications information a person would be greatly disappointed when they saw a stock trailer that was for sale.

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 10:22 AM   #17
Administrator

Texas
Registry
Good point, Donna.

And, of course, Thane's original post in this thread has a long list of categories, that would be a good starting point for anybody wanting to compile specs on their favorite trailer...
Old 07-06-2006, 10:25 AM   #18
Administrator

Texas
Registry
I would also like for information to include the year of the trailer being described.

Things change from year to year - a 1999 Casita is quite different from a 1989 Casita...
Old 09-08-2007, 11:28 AM   #19

Trailer: 2003 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft
Sorry to dig up this old thread. That said, I would love to have access to what used to be available - inaccuracies an all.

I'd love to help put together a Wiki type document where we could list this type of information and all the users could edit it.

Obviously best would be an integrated Wiki with FiberglassRV.com - such as something like IBP Wiki

The other option would be a stand along Wiki - I could even host one. If I host then it wouldn't have the user accounts integrated but could still be useful. We'd have to have a basic template for people to follow so that we could get some consistency and a clear way to identify year models and other variations.

What do you all think?
Old 09-08-2007, 04:53 PM   #20

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
I think wiki functionality would be great for this purpose: collaborative production of web-based content is the definition of wiki operation, and exactly what we are trying to do in this comparison table, and some similar areas. It could also be used to build reference material, more easily extending the Tutorials which are already in FiberglassRV.

Integration with Invision PowerBoard would be good, for account management (requires the full version of the IpbWiki) and consistency of user interface.

Now my concerns:
  • I assume that the FiberglassRV administrator and moderators would want a moderated wiki (wikipedia is highly moderated) to keep content appropriate. This could mean substantial work for moderators if the tools for them are not well designed and easy to use; I have not used mediaWiki as an administrator, or any wiki in a moderated mode.
  • Some "wiki" products allow both threaded discussion (like a bulletin board or forum) and collaborative content creation (classic wiki functionality); Atlassian's Confluence is a good example, and IpbWiki supports it in some form as well. If the chosen wiki allows this, and even if it doesn't provide discussion support explicitly, some care would be required in configuration and administration to ensure that the wiki does not become a confusing alternate forum.
  • There are several free wiki products (including a version of IpbWiki), but a good wiki and the tools to integrate it will likely cost... for both initial purchase and for licensing renewals. Use of any software will incur infrastructure (server) costs.
  • The trailer specification comparison is an example of information which really needs table formatting for efficient management. IPB does not include tables, and while most wikis include them, the formatting can be very awkward. In a few minutes of reading from the provided IpbWiki link, I could find no reference to table formatting... suggesting it is at least not a strong feature.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 05:19 PM   #21

Trailer: 2003 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft
I agree completely Brian. Wikipedia is actually based on MediaWiki which is the Wiki software used in IBP Wiki (did that make a bit of since?)

The only reason I like IBPWiki was the integration - I saw reference to an IBP designed Wiki module as well, but in my very brief search did not find details on it.

Cost of the software is a very real concern. I think the unlimited license of IBPWiki is 60 euro's - and I would gladly contribute towards it's purchase for FiberglassRV.com.

From my browsing, it seems of all the sites, FiberglassRV is the premier in the sale/buy/trade arena and this would compliment that very well.

I don't see any advertisements on FiberglassRV and realize that it is probably a labor of love - thus may not be interested in things that generate more work. The software chosen should probably allow the moderators of FiberglassRV to give thier trusted members the ability to moderate the Wiki - decreasing their own workload.

Glad to see feedback and interest in this - I really believe it could be a GREAT feature!

Tags
casita, escape, scamp