Forum Suggestion - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2011, 11:25 PM   #1

Name: Sean
Trailer: Bigfoot
Saskatchewan
Forum Suggestion

Not sure if this the right place for it or not, I'm hardly an active member on here, but of late my gf and I have been rolling around the idea of getting an egg or similar style trailer.

My suggestion is, it would make things a tad easier to find something if the for sale section was potentially divided into Canadian and US sub forums.

just a thought.
Orcus79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 06:03 AM   #2

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
Good idea Sean!
It would really help if people put their location in the header of the ad too.
Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcus79 View Post
Not sure if this the right place for it or not, I'm hardly an active member on here, but of late my gf and I have been rolling around the idea of getting an egg or similar style trailer.

My suggestion is, it would make things a tad easier to find something if the for sale section was potentially divided into Canadian and US sub forums.

just a thought.
reeves99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 06:19 AM   #3

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
you made me look up the saying "54.40 or fight" and refresh my history- I think with more stringent border crossings it would make sense- or put "'us" or "cn"' tags in the listing. If I wanted to cross the border now I'd have to get a passport and that would take 2-3 months. Just more paperwork like some of the individuals handle when getting their registration and title work.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 01:50 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
And what if they don't fit into the U.S. or Canada subforums, and what if someone wants West Coast area or East Coast area as subforums? Frankly I think the moderators could help by looking at the titles and improving those as needed ...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 02:08 PM   #5
Administrator

Trailer: Argosy
Registry
We are looking at some options. It's likely that prefixes might serve well here as they can be sorted. Stay tuned on this...
Old 08-16-2011, 06:23 PM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I vote for prefixes rather than splitting up US and Canada. From the number of Escapes finding there way to homes in the US and Scamps and Casita's finding homes in Canada there is a lot of cross border shopping happening both ways. Appears a large number of people have figured it out that the trailers made in Canada or the USA are duty free either way and the paper work required is not at all a big thing to go through and takes very little time to do it.

I know when I was looking I didnt care which side of the border the trailer was on when the right trailer came up.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:13 PM   #7

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
That would be nice, now that I'm back in Indiana I wouldn't be interested in a west coast trailer and I'm not at all interested in a trailer in Canada, not too offend any of you from the great white north but I've always had trouble getting through U.S. customs on the way back.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 08:06 PM   #8

Name: garyc
Trailer: 1987 scamp 5th wheel
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
That would be nice, now that I'm back in Indiana I wouldn't be interested in a west coast trailer and I'm not at all interested in a trailer in Canada, not too offend any of you from the great white north but I've always had trouble getting through U.S. customs on the way back.
I live in Florida and I drove to ohio to get mine.
garycoughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 04:49 PM   #9

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by garycoughlin View Post
I live in Florida and I drove to ohio to get mine.
I drove from west Texas to San Diego, Ca to get mine, but I would not have driven to the east coast to get one.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:01 PM   #10

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
No offence taken Greg, I have had more than a few intreasting experences entering various counties over the years. Some funny some not so funny. Most recent funny one was last month heading into the US I was asked if I had fruits or veggies in the trailer I responded that I had given them away before I left the last campground in Canada. They wanted to know who I gave them to! Silly me asked does it matter? They made it pretty clear I wasnt going to be cleared until I told them who I gave them to. LOL Had to bite my tongue! Yet when I purchased the car and trailer and brought them across the border for the first time on seperate occasions they did not even open the doors or even check the VIN number on either. Go figure - you just never know.

Back on topic - although I appreciate that you may not be willing to go afar for the right trailer it appears lots of people here who are. I went from Vancouver to Ohio. I have noticed people here who have gone from NY, Ontario, Quebec to the West Coast for a trailer - suspect others may have gone further. Personally think it would be a pain to have to go through another thread here while searching for a trailer.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 04:39 PM   #11

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Location Prefixes added to "For Sale" ads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcus79 View Post
Have you ever remodeled your house? Lived with the reconstruction debris? Dividing existing forums can be like that. How about labeling the stuff we have in place? Could make it searchable by location.

After discussion by the moderators, the idea of Prefixes for each Thread was suggested. We are testing ads beginning with a State/USA or Province/Canada abbreviation.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
After discussion by the moderators, the idea of Prefixes for each Thread was suggested. We are testing ads beginning with a State/USA or Province/Canada abbreviation.
good call. I like the idea of ALL topic titles having meaning. A title like "I need Help," has no meaning when doing a search. But, "I Need Help with Windows in a 1972 Trillium," certainly does

And since I'm on a roll , adding dates to the Rallies title is helpful too, besides when y'all get ready to move them into the archives you know what's already gone by....

Sorry, can't help myself
Old 08-18-2011, 06:29 PM   #13

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
good call. I like the idea of ALL topic titles having meaning. A title like "I need Help," has no meaning when doing a search. But, "I Need Help with Windows in a 1972 Trillium," certainly does

And since I'm on a roll , adding dates to the Rallies title is helpful too, besides when y'all get ready to move them into the archives you know what's already gone by....

Sorry, can't help myself
The problem is... "I need help with windows in a 1972 Trillium" becomes ..
"I need hel..." on the forum index
Maybe it should read "Trillium windows 1972"
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:17 PM   #14

I'm still old skool and use the Custom Google Search and since I read 99% of the threads and can usually remember the title or SOMETHING in the thread... titles have more meaning to me. YMMV

Google Custom Search - Fiberglass RV Forum Custom Search
Old 08-19-2011, 10:41 AM   #15

Name: Sheryl
Trailer: '99 Casita 17'LD
Montana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post

Sorry, can't help myself
I agree about the Rallies--I hope to one day go to one, and read all of the threads. If the title had a date AND state/province, it would be great!
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 03:07 PM   #16

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Post What we came up with

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
As you can see, when posting a trailer for sale the original poster can now select a 2 digit Postal Code as a prefix to the Title of the Ad. This will let everyone know what State or Province the trailer is located in. Searches can be sorted using this code.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:52 PM   #17

way to go Frederick!
Old 08-19-2011, 06:15 PM   #18
Administrator

Trailer: Argosy
Registry
To search by state look for the sorting tool at the top of the forum. Select the state of interest to get a list of all ads in that state.
Click image for larger version

Name:	fgrv prefic sort.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	39164
Old 08-20-2011, 11:49 AM   #19

Name: Sean
Trailer: Bigfoot
Saskatchewan
I like the prefix idea much better. I just noticed it when I had look today, Thank you for adding that.
Orcus79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 08:22 PM   #20

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Bravo!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote