Frustrated with unwanted & misleading embedded links - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2012, 04:43 PM   #1

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Frustrated with unwanted & misleading embedded links

To Forum Administrators.

My first complaint regarding FGRV.

I understand that when I am not logged into this site, I will see google ads win all the posts.

What is also happening [when I am not logged in] is you get google generated links to sites that are inappropriate to the discussion.

For instance, I was just looking at the Surge Protector thread. If I am not logged in, the words "surge protectors" will link to a site selling electric, plug in outlets. Totally different from the products being discussed in that thread. I found myself scratching my head at some of the posts before I realized what was happening.

Personally I resent that I cannot adequately follow what each poster is trying to say since the links within their posts will take you to products that google "thinks" you will be interested in purchasing.

It is one thing to log on to avoid annoying ads. It is another to find out that you'll get misleading info by clicking on [google generated] links within each posts.

Is there anything that can be done by the site administrator?
Old 03-11-2012, 04:58 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I never have the same problem as Jane because I'm always logged in. But, I have to wonder about people who are not yet members and are lurking/checking out the forum.... what must they think?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:17 PM   #3
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Like Donna, I stay logged in here so I miss many of the ads. Last week I posted about a different search engine, DuckDuckGo. Unlike Google, they don't track you. After using it for a week I am sold. I now can do a search without getting 3 pages of sale pitches. I can do a search and not see ads about the topic everywhere I go. You might find a non tracking search engine, there are others mentioned in the thread, might help. Raz

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...kgo-50391.html
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:20 PM   #4

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
I'm just wondering, but is it possible that the links are helping to offset the cost of this site by paying $$ to the site owners? (keeping this site free for you and me). ....I just tried coming in 'as a stranger' and I can see what Jane is talking about - it's like Times Square with all the ads. But I stay logged, so I've been blithly unaware of it.
Jane, The next time you log in, you can mark the 'remember me' box next to your name and then you'll stay logged in. But if you have your computer set to 'delete cookies' every time you exit your interrnet browser, you'll need to log on each time.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:42 PM   #5
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Thanks for the feedback, Jane. Like the others who have posted, I always login when I come onto the site, so was completely unaware that the imbedded links are to inappropriate (marginally related) websites.

I'm moving this thread to our Forum Admin forum, so it does not get buried in General Chat. It's something we'll look into...
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:17 PM   #6

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I never have the same problem as Jane because I'm always logged in. But, I have to wonder about people who are not yet members and are lurking/checking out the forum.... what must they think?
The reason I'm not always logging in is that I periodically purge my cookies. With all the talk about google's new privacy policies, I'll be purging more often.

As a result I am not automatically logged into any of my sites.

Actually, this does not appear to be a problem with the forum: it is 100% attributable to Google (which I am beginning to hate). They apparently decided that I should link onto a eBay page that my online research a few days ago suggested to Google that I'd be interested in visiting. I was actually looking for 12 volt outlets that also provide USB ports. Google inferred that I wanted a combo power strip/surge protector. Not the same thing, but it transfered over to the thread. How creepy ...

P. Raz, I do need to find another search engine. Google has become a deterrent to me researching anything. They apparently think that I am always interested in purchasing a Jaguar automobile, instead of learning about Jaguars in the wild.

I do not know if the forum gets $$ from Google for these "individualized" links. But I do find this situation very confusing to the uninitiated.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:28 PM   #7

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
I most often visit without logging on. Never noticed that the adds are there when not logged on. The adds sometimes get activated by my sensitive touch iPad. The adds are not welcome, but I live with it. Now maybe I'll log on more often.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:05 PM   #8

Name: Daniel
Trailer: Scamp has Arrived - Layout 7
Minnesota
Hope I'm not stepping on ads and/or links that help support this site but here are some options:

AdBlock is available as a plug-in/extension for most browsers. Really helps cut down on the advertising clutter.

Ghostery is available for most browsers. "Ghostery sees the invisible web-tags, web bugs, pixels and beacons. Ghostery tracks the trackers and gives you a roll-call of the ad networks, behavioral data providers, web publishers, and other companies interested in your activity." It also lets you block most of that snooping and tracking. I use Ghostery with my main browser to block all or most of that activity. On rare occasions you may hit a web site that will not respond if you don't allow tracking. I simply switch to a different browser for that particular site and then back to my regular browser to continue working.

https://www.ghostery.com/

DuckDuckGo.com and ixquick.com are pretty good search engines and do little or no tracking.

Keep your firewall up, use (and update) your anti-virus software, don't put TMI into social media, don't click on strange links, and you should have a reasonably safe and private online life.

Dan
Dan Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:12 PM   #9

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
LSO cookies

I use Firefox and purging cookies from history tab purges all cookies except LSO ones. I downloaded https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...betterprivacy/ plug-in which takes care of them every time I close Firefox application.

George.
GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:40 AM   #10
Administrator

Trailer: Argosy
Registry
The ads help cover the cost of keeping the site running and as noted, they have been mostly disabled for those logged in - it's a necessary evil.

If you surf as an unregistered/ not logged in member you will also see a notice that says you can registered and log in to see fewer ads so the option is offered.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:53 AM   #11

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
Its been in the news lately that google is doing more to target ads. This means they have a computer using keywords to try to show ads based on what else you are doing online. It doesn't always get it right. But occasionally I have noticed it actually does show me something of interest. And it keeps the internet "free" inasmuch as we don't have to pay a subscription, just access it.
Denece is offline   Reply With Quote