How do you search threads? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2014, 07:06 AM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: Burro, HELIO
Washington
Registry
How do you search threads?

I can't find a search box for these threads so I can't search for topics. Can someone step me through where the search query is located in this ap? It's not intuitive.

Thank you
John Colangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:18 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Sorry, I don't use the app, I always use the Fiberglass RV Forum Custom Search on Google and always in a separate tab on my PC
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:23 AM   #3

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
I'm not able to send you a screen shot of this, but I'll describe it and hopefully it will help. To use the search feature on this page, you go to the top right corner and find where it says "Welcome John Colangelo". Below that is some data about the last time you visited, yada yada.

Now look below that to the blue bar. Click on the third word from the right (Search) and go to the bottom search box in the window (says google custom search) and type in your search word or phrase, then hit enter.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:47 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry

Pam, I believe the OP is using the app, which works differently. The only search feature I have found is the one in the main menu, accessed by tapping the parallel bars in the upper left corner of the screen and scrolling down toward the bottom. It seems to have the same limitations as the internal search feature on the website. As far as I can tell, there isn't a built-in link to do a Google custom search on the app. I'd love to be shown otherwise!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:24 AM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Registry

John,

This is a direct link to the Google custom search
https://www.google.com/cse/m?cx=0150...&theme=DEFAULT

Ken
Old 09-01-2014, 09:50 AM   #6

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdhanso View Post
John,

This is a direct link to the Google custom search
https://www.google.com/cse/m?cx=0150...&theme=DEFAULT

Ken
Thanks Ken. It works nicely, but how do I access it from the app? I won't always have your link in front of me. Is there an efficient way to store and access the link on my mobile device? I am fairly new to the smartphone world...
Old 09-01-2014, 09:57 AM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Registry
Hi Jon,
The mobile app doesn't provide a way to use the Google custom search. I use an iPhone and had the same issue a whole back. One of the admins provided me the link and I bookmarked it in my Safari browser for quick access.

Ken
Old 09-01-2014, 10:29 AM   #8

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
There is a Search function in the App but whether it will provide the search parameters you need will take some experimentation.

1. From the main thread list, click on the three horizontal lines in the upper-left corner (circled in red in the attached image).

2. That will bring up all your options. Click on "Search".

3. Type your search string into the box at the top.

4. Once you have results, you can refine it by clicking the funnel icon at the top right. This will give you some limited filter options.

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
01-IMG_8941.jpg   02-IMG_8937.jpg  

03-IMG_8938.jpg   04-IMG_8939.jpg  

trainjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:09 AM   #9

Arizona
Registry
Trainjunkie, that's the one I have used, without much success. I hadn't tried the funnel icon, though, so I'll experiment to see if it helps.

Ken, I will take your suggestion and bookmark the link in my browser. I'll have to figure out how to do that from my phone…

Thanks, all!
Old 09-01-2014, 11:29 AM   #10
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
The app obviously doesn't have near the functions that the browser-based interface has. For example, I have a link to the Google search in my sig file, so all one must do is find one of my posts and search from my signature.. BUT, the app doesn't display sig files (which saves space and makes things load faster, so I totally understand it being streamlined). It's why I access the site from my phone's browser instead of our app; the browser interface, even on the phone, is more like the interface on my computer.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:33 AM   #11

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
I'm guess an 'old' school person using new technology. I don't use apps. I just web-surf to FGRV.com on my phone (same as I would on my laptop) and go to the FRGV site that way, so I can utilize the standard website features.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:42 AM   #12

Arizona
Registry
The app has advantages for simply reading posts - everything is automatically sized and laid out to fit on the screen, for one. But for composing posts, especially longer posts that include multiple pictures, links, and for doing simultaneous searches while you are composing, give me my laptop!
Old 09-01-2014, 03:15 PM   #13

Name: Anne
Trailer: 2014 Parkliner 2016 Honda Pilot
North Carolina
If I'm searching for something, I use my iPad's or phone's web browser (Safari) so I can use the google search option. The app's search doesn't work very well IMO. Once found, if I want to refer back to the thread, I subscribe to it, so I can find it again using the app.

I agree that using the app to read posts is nicer and it's my starting point. But there are limitations -- like not seeing the document library and some embedded links don't work.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
neparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 03:47 PM   #14

Name: Anne
Trailer: 2014 Parkliner 2016 Honda Pilot
North Carolina
And since the app doesn't show your name, I should have signed the post😊

-- Anne

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
neparker is offline   Reply With Quote