Inappropriate ads - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2015, 01:33 PM   #1

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
Inappropriate ads

Starting to see ads I don't like in side bars, currently lingerie from ali-express , can these be blocked
Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 01:51 PM   #2

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Registry
We use this site for Free so the cash to pay for the site has to come from somewhere. Just ignore the ads and all is good.
Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:48 AM   #3

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
I M H O: ....these 'ads' seem to come from some surfing that has been done from your device in the near past. I have never seen any inappropriateadds on the side~bar
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 10:16 AM   #4
Administrator

Trailer: Argosy
Registry
Ads are served up by google and we each see different stuff. Typically what you see is based on past surfing or perhaps geo-location.

If you see a specific ad that is a problem and contains adult content (for instance) we might be able to have it blocked but would need the url of the ad to make the request. Ads keep the lights on and so while you may choose to block them, please understand why we have them..
Old 05-11-2015, 10:18 AM   #5

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Mager View Post
I M H O: ....these 'ads' seem to come from some surfing that has been done from your device in the near past. I have never seen any inappropriateadds on the side~bar
That is certainly sometimes true. I know I see ads for things I have searched for or looked at on other sites. But, I also see ads for things I know I have not searched for or looked at. That said, it is just the price of doing buisness so I ignore them.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 10:23 AM   #6

Name: Eric
Trailer: Scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe MacDonald View Post
Starting to see ads I don't like in side bars, currently lingerie from ali-express , can these be blocked
Joe
I had similar concerns. I use Firefox and Adblock plus to remove all ads and have been very happy with the results.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Adblockplus.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	260.8 KB
ID:	83854
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 10:55 AM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
The search function bring up a lot of good info too
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ads-62572.html
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 11:03 AM   #8

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
Another FF and Adblock Plus user. I see no ads...ever.
trainjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 02:38 AM   #9

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
I guess I've just been spoiled, usually don't go to sites that have ad bars. I'll live with it, but although I use Ali-Express, I don't search for stuff I don't want to see later
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 08:24 AM   #10

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
It goes to show just how deeply embedded and invasive these internet companies are in tracking our every move on the net. Our web surfing habits, shopping, searches, etc. are all being surreptitiously tracked by these big internet businesses. They've truly permeated and infested just about every aspect and nuance of what most people think would be their own private business. I realize that these parasitical businesses "pay the freight" for sites like these, but at what cost?

George Orwell, in 1948, who wrote the novel "1984", spoke even back then of how there was nothing personal that wasn't known by "Big Brother". The man was something of a prophet in his day. It has all come to pass...
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 08:40 AM   #11

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Commercials are what make this site possible. While I don't appreciate the toe fungus ads, or the highly repetitive nature of the ads, I realize that they pay the bills.

This is likely the result of a high level of apathy, but I don't mind most of the ads, I even look at them from time to time. Mostly they reflect what I was shopping for most recently.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 09:16 AM   #12

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Joe Mac.... delete ALL of your "history" in your browser and most likely the "Lingerie" ads will go away. True, there will be other ads, but sometimes ads DO come from your search history and purchases online. Deleting the "temp" files will help resolve this.

Alot dont know it, but you NEED to go deep into your "user" on your hard drive and Windows "temp" and delete files there. I do IT and have seen tens of THOUSANDS of fragment files hanging out there. It slows your computer down as well AND can cause printing problems, etc. Of course, if you're not comfortable with that, you could get a comp. guru friend to do it for you.

Just a thought and a tip.... no charge!
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 12:11 PM   #13

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
It seams to me that when I look something up on the internet I start getting adds for that item on the side of my screen on this and other sites.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 01:12 PM   #14

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Darwin, The sites you visit leave "cookies" on your computer. The software generating the ads reads those cookies and then decides what ad to display.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote