Lost Input While Composing a Reply - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Forum Admin, News & Announcements
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-20-2009, 06:19 PM   #1

Trailer: 1974 Hunter I
Registry
OK, I typed a long reply for about 15 minutes, then went into PhotoShop to reduce my camera output to smaller JPEGs for posting, then I uploaded them, then clicked on Preview Post, and got a message that there were files missing, and it couldn't show my post. I clicked on the "Select All" button, but when I started over on my reply, I see a bunch of HTML code, not my original text. I guess it was at least 45 minutes between the time I started typing and got to the point where I added my photos. I did do a Preview Post a couple of times in between, but somehow I lost my changes. I didn't use the browser back button at any time.

Is there a time limit? Should I compose my answers in Text Edit and paste them in, and have my photos all ready to go before I start my reply?

Don
Don H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 06:48 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
A quick check doesn't find a time-out setting, doesn't mean it doesn't exist... I just haven't found it yet. Anyway, I'm sure you don't want to have it happen again. So, yes I'd suggest if you're organizing your thoughts, Notepad (or other text editor) is a great way to do it. I also, scale any images I want to use before I open a reply window.

I'll let you know if I find out anything definitive about the time issue. Or if any other of the staff finds it, they'll let you know.

On edit: I did find it! And yes, it's 15 minutes

"Cut off for active user display [in minutes] = 15"

Hope this helps.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 07:06 PM   #3

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
One thing I do, if I've typed out a long reply and I'm not sure if it might have timed out, or if something else might go awry (Internet connection glitch, or etc.), is quickly highlight and "copy" the reply. Then I just let it sit on my clipboard while I go ahead with the post.

If something does go wrong, I can just open a new reply window and hit "paste" to get a fresh copy.

It is SO disheartening to compose a long post and then have it go poof. Sorry that happened to you
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 08:57 PM   #4

Trailer: 1974 Hunter I
Registry
Thanks Donna. Now that I know, I'll be prepared. I'll do like Raya, and copy my work, and will try to have everything done offline first, and just paste it in.
Don H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 09:38 PM   #5

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Not that you shouldn't do it offline, for the ultimate security, but with the copying technique, I do tend to just compose online.

A couple of times I've been too lazy to copy and.... you guessed it...
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote