Missing FGRV Name on Front Page - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Forum Admin, News & Announcements
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 11:42 AM   #1

Trailer: 2005 Scamp
I was just wondering why there is not an Acorn on the front page of this website along with all the other manufacturer names?

Blair
Old 10-19-2007, 12:17 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Maybe because it's a model, rather than a manufacturer The seven pictures of the Acorn album are a subdirectory of Scamp: Acorn Directory

I suppose it could be named separately, but linked back to the Scamp album... as long as that doesn't start a domino effect.

I'll put the word out to webguy for his input.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:32 PM   #3

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Hi Blair,

Yes, like Donna said, there would be a domino effect. Casita has Liberty, Freedom, Spirit and then they currently make Liberty Delux, Freedom Delux and Spirit Delux. In the past they made other models. Then they come in 3 sizes - 13’, 16’ & 17’. So by my rough count there could be 18 listings just for Casita.

Then some people want each year listed to show the changes that happen. ie 2003 17’ Liberty Delux. would be one.

There would just be too many models. We are trying to have ALL models (not years) represented in our Albums though. That is turning out to be a much bigger job then any of us thought it would be.

I hope this answers your question.
Old 10-19-2007, 04:39 PM   #4

Quote:
I was just wondering why there is not an Acorn on the front page of this website along with all the other manufacturer names?
Blair
Quote:
Maybe because it's a model, rather than a [b]manufacturer The seven pictures of the Acorn album are a subdirectory of [b]Scamp: Acorn Directory
I suppose it could be named separately, but linked back to the Scamp album... as long as that doesn't start a domino effect.
I'll put the word out to webguy for his input.
Quote:
Hi Blair,
Yes, like Donna said, there would be a domino effect. Casita has Liberty, Freedom, Spirit and then they currently make Liberty Delux, Freedom Delux and Spirit Delux. [b]In the past they made other models. Then they come in 3 sizes - 13’, 16’ & 17’. So by my rough count there could be 18 listings just for Casita.
Then some people want each year listed to show the changes that happen. ie 2003 17’ Liberty Delux. would be one.
There would just be too many models. We are trying to have ALL models (not years) represented in our Albums though. That is turning out to be a much bigger job then any of us thought it would be.
I hope this answers your question.
Are you telling me that Casita made a trailer named something other than Casita? Thats a new one, please tell me more.

While Evelands made the Acorn I don't think they also made a Scamp at the same time did they? Please excuse me here if I am wrong. Most of what you are mentioning here are levels of trim and lengths which have nothing to do with a trailer model. I am having a rough time with your analogy.

For instance lets say a Bigfoot. You have a 13, 17, 19, 21, 25 and 5th wheel. I guess If you don't like the model name Acorn you would have to change Scamp from the first page to Evelands and then have Scamp and Acorn under it. And as Donna corrected me, Scamp is not the manufacturer. But that wouldn't make sense to list Evelands.

In short, Acorn is not a model of a Scamp......I think, but you may be able to take me to school on this issue.

Casita Enterprises Inc.
Evelands Inc.

Blair
Old 10-19-2007, 05:14 PM   #5

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16 ft ('The Pod')
I have been under the impression that Acorn preceded Scamp although made by Eveland, and very few were made. Would be interesting to know whether any are still in existence. I think Casita has always been Casita without another name.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:59 PM   #6

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
I think that Blair has a interesting point here... the company has never been "Scamp", but the products have been "Acorn" and "Scamp". "Casita" is both the company and the product name, and the models (13' , 16', 17'), layout variations (Liberty, etc), and equipment levels (standard and deluxe) are one, two, and three levels below that; similarly, Scamp models (13', 16' 19') have variations (Deluxe and standard).

So, for example,
  • Casita (brand) 16' (model) Liberty (variation) by Casita Enterprises Inc. (company)
  • Scamp (brand) 16' (model) Deluxe (variation) by Evelands Inc. (company)
  • Acorn (brand) 13' (model) by Evelands Inc. (company)
The FiberglassRV.com Home page list is really of brands, and in some cases models, and not generally companies. For example, my trailer is listed by the brand (Boler), and not the actual company (Vanguard Trailers Ltd, a division of Neonex). On that basis, there should be both Acorn and Scamp brands, but effectively they're two names of the same line of trailers, so I don't see much value in separating them. Perhaps just a note on the album name ("including Acorn") and in the list ("Scamp (Acorn)") instead of just "Scamp") would help people find the Acorn.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:04 PM   #7

Blair,

We have always had two criteria for adding trailers to our list and the Albums.
  1. It is a unique Brand.
  2. A new member owns one
Now I could easily be wrong as I no nothing about the Acorn. I thought it was a model of an early version of Scamp.

We have had 4 people join that claim to own an Acorn. None of them have ever posted. Sometimes people put a trailer name because they are thinking about buying one. Three of the four posted pre-hack, so we probably will not hear from them again. The fourth was in May this year. He signed up and never came back.

I rely on the owner-members and the Moderators to help decide what we add and what we don’t. If we need it, I am happy to add it.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:21 PM   #8

Click image for larger version

Name:	Acorn1.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	10574

[b]1979 Acorn made by Scamp
See http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...st&p=195064

Quote:
Company Profile
Updated: 16-OCT-07
[b]Evelands Inc.
Private Company, Headquarters Location
507 State Hwy. 371, Backus, MN, United States
(218)947-4932, (218)947-3490 fax, http://www.scamptrailers.com
Primary SIC: Travel Trailers And Campers, Primary NAICS: Travel Trailer and Camper Manufacturing
Description: Manufacturing: Travel Trailers And Campers
Old 10-19-2007, 08:02 PM   #9

Like previously stated, Acorn was not a Scamp.

It is realy not needed but as it is, no one would ever know that there was an Acorn made. I am sure that there are plenty of trailers names on the front page that there are no members that are present. I just thought that the front page is really neat and all encompassing FG's made but the Acorn was missing.

Blair
Old 10-19-2007, 08:16 PM   #10

Like I said, we have had 4 people sign up with Acorn, so that is not an issue.

Thanks for pointing out the Acorn, I’ll kick it around with the Leadership team.

Thanks again,
Mike
Old 10-19-2007, 08:35 PM   #11

from Scampers forum

> Sent: 5/17/2006 7:42:05 PM
> Subject: [scampers] New Members
>
>
> Hello everyone. My wife just got a small 13' trailer, we assumed it
> was a Scamp (looks like one) but we got the registration papers
today
> and it says the Make is Evela. We have done searches on the
internet
> to see what we can find out about this trailer but we came up
empty.
> The year built is 1976. Anyone have any ideas or information on
this
> cute little fixer?
> Thanks, Gary & Grace

They might be a little rough. Acorns were the original Scamp while the
Eveland's were working out the legalities of using the Scamp name. There was
just a few produced. few made.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:43 PM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Yep, here's a major discussion: Egg History- Boler descendants, Can you fill in the Blanks?

In particular a posting compiled by Brian B-P:
Quote:
Scamp is derived from Boler:
???? - Boler components are being manufactured in Backus MN, by Eveland?
1971 to current (2006)- Scamp is being produced in Backus
1979 - Scamp branded as Acorn for one year
1981 - 1st Casita produced in Backus, MN
1983 to Current (2006) - Casita Enterprises Inc. operates
current (2006) - Casita currently in production by Casita Enterprises Inc. in Rice, TX
Old 10-19-2007, 08:58 PM   #13

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Blair,

Perhaps I can shed some light on this. I am responsible for maintaining the albums. It has been slower than I anticipated, mostly because I haven't had the time to devote to it that I'd like. But, as I get them done, I am doing a little reorganizing as I go, trying to make the albums easy to navigate and intuitive, while trying to group corporate products similarly. I have considered grouping the Cadet and Captain trailers under their corporate name, but no one would ever look for them there because the corporate name has no name recognition.

Regarding the Acorn, I recall that Evelands began Scamp production in 1975. After a year or two of production, they were sued over the "Scamp" moniker. In order to continue production, in 1976 they began using the "Acorn" name for the 13' trailer that had been known as Scamp. Late in 1976, they prevailed in the lawsuit, and discontinued the "Acorn" name and returned to marketing their 13' trailer under the "Scamp" brand name. So, the Acorn actually is the same trailer as the 13' Scamp and built by the same folks in the same factory. (My dates may be hazy, but that's as I remember it without doing the research).

We're not trying to be encyclopedic about cataloging each and every trailer and it's lineage, we're more about illustrating as many of the stock configuration trailers as possible as a ready reference for someone who wants to know what they look like.

I hope that helps!

Roger
Old 10-19-2007, 10:33 PM   #14

Hello Roger, glad you joined.

On a hypothetical note:

Casita went bankrupt and another company bought them out, but Casita Inc. was able to hang on to the legal name in case they wanted to try and get kick started again. The new owners that bought all the molds and the plant started back up and named them ABC.

From what you just described as reason for not having Acorn on the front page, you would never rename Casita on the FGRV or add ABC to the front page and everyone that was looking for an ABC would look for them under Casita.

Then if you are just "illustrating as many of the stock configuration trailers as possible as a ready reference" may as well have Scamp under Boler.

Of all the models/manufacturers on the FGRV front page is there another single trailer with a different name categorized under a different name? Please point one out for me.

Blair
Old 10-20-2007, 06:29 AM   #15

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Sorry, Blair.

Your concerns have been noted and discussed, but Acorn was never a separate product.

Acorn is an Evelands product. It was co-produced with Scamp as a different, temporary model name for their 13'. Later during production they chose to stay with the Scamp name as the brand identification rather than merely their 13' model, but they're all produced by Evelands.

Acorn stays with Scamp.

Roger
Old 10-24-2007, 11:31 AM   #16
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Okay, everybody. Let me interject a little history here:

I think one thing that was missing from the earlier discussion is the understanding that our Home Page list was originally just a list.

It was even mostly just a list of the brands owned by our members. We never sought to make it exhaustive, although it can seem that way, since our membership is diverse.

Anyway, recently we were able to convert the list to hypertext entries into our Brand Albums. Obviously many members have found this a useful tool, which is gratifying! (The effort to accomplish it was not insignificant. It's always great when a change is actually an improvement!)

Blair's recent suggestion that Acorn should be included on the Home Page list, with a link to the pictures of Acorn trailers in our Brand Albums, has been noted and pondered by the Webguy and Moderators.

Adding Acorn to the Home Page brands is now on our list of improvements.

Thanks for your feedback, y'all!!
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Closed Thread